Roundabout Installed Correctly???

kile529

Here are pictures of my oldest two in Parkways.........

Logan - will be 6 Jan. 13th
Install001.jpg

Wade - 4.5
Install002.jpg

Now, here is my question on Camden in the Roundabout.
I threaded seatbelt *under* the cover.....or should I go over.....
While putting my knee and weight into the carseat to ensure that it was locked down tight - it made the seat stand almost completely straight up. Hoping the tether would even it out - it was so not the case.
The black clips - are the lockoffs (correct me if I'm wrong) - Can I simply make the seatbelt snug and use the lockoffs to ensure that it's tightly secure? It was soooo much easier to install the thing FF - but after seeing some crash test videos - Camden is only 22lbs (he's diagnosed failure-to-thrive) so even though he's 2.5 years old - his body is still just too tiny.
Another question - Can I use "recline" with him or is he too big?

Install004.jpg

(Pardon the dirty van lol)

Thanks for your help!

ADS

scatterbunny

Just a couple of things about the Parkways--the headrest definitely needs to be up one more notch for Wade, and could go up another notch for Logan. Also, check out Logan's belt, on the buckle side. It should be under the torso wing. It looks like Wade's belt (lap portion) is also twisted.

As for the Roundabout, good for you for turning it back RFing. :D Yes, use the recline mode, that should make it reclined enough. It can be very upright for a child Camden's age, but not THAT upright, KWIM?

What year is your van? Do your belts lock on their own? If they do, you don't need to use the lockoffs at all.

kile529

I see what you mean about Logan's.....on Wade's - my seatbelt (the part that you clip) has twisted around over the years....do I need to fix that?

About Camden being able to use the recline - oh good! whew! I was thinking "poor kid"! lol My Windstar is a 2000 - and the seatbelts do NOT lock.....ugh.....We very well may be switching soon to a Saturn Vue - so I would think that those would. ('03ish) hmmmm.........

About using the lockoffs - do I need to put my weight into the seat to get it as tight as possible? or can I just install snugly w/ tether? In doing so earlier (putting my weight into it) - it made it nearly impossible to use the lockoffs because the seatbelt would be squished to the hinge.......

scatterbunny

Yes, I'd fix the twisted belt. My 1994 MPV's belts twist fairly often, and it's such a PITA to fix, but it's important.

As for the lockoff questions, I'll let someone more experienced with Britax convertible installs answer that. I have locking latchplates in my van so when I had a Roundabout in my van I didn't need to use the lockoffs.

Splash

Yes, your seatbelts DO lock. They have a locking latchplate. SUPER nice for installing seats. The shoulder portion will stay slack but the lap belt will be nice and tight. No need to use the lockoffs then (unless you want to).
Yes, definitely untwist the belt. And definitely raise the headrests! Especially on Wade.

scatterbunny

Ooohh, good! I wasn't sure about the 2000 Windstar, but if it has locking latchplates that would be awesome.

What Parkway covers do your boys have?

kile529

what are locking latchplates?!? I'm sure I don't have them....seriously! I've tried getting those darned things to lock w/ no luck!

kile529

okay....I just re-read....I think I understand - I'm gonna run out to my van now and make sure I know what you're talking about! lol

scatterbunny

That site isn't talking solely about locking latchplates, it walks you through the steps you need to take to figure out what kind of belts you have. If you go through it step-by-step you should be able to figure it out.

I thought 2000 Windstars had locking belts, either switchable at the shoulderbelt or locking latchplates, but that may not have happened until '01? Definitely let me know when you figure it out!

kile529

Yes, your seatbelts DO lock. They have a locking latchplate. SUPER nice for installing seats. The shoulder portion will stay slack but the lap belt will be nice and tight. No need to use the lockoffs then (unless you want to).
Yes, definitely untwist the belt. And definitely raise the headrests! Especially on Wade.

I just re-installed the Roundabout.....put my weight it - and made sure it was snug.....but when I pushed the seat sideways back and forth - it loosened.....

scatterbunny

Okay, looking at the first pic you posted in this thread I can see the buckle. It looks like a locking latchplate to me, it's so big and bulky. Non-locking latchplates (free-sliding) aren't so bulky.

scatterbunny

So it seems tight at first and then it loosens? Try flipping the latchplate once before you buckle. If locking latchplates loosen over time it's because the angle isn't quite right to hold them tight.

mom2pjs

Senior Community Member
"About using the lockoffs - do I need to put my weight into the seat to get it as tight as possible? or can I just install snugly w/ tether? In doing so earlier (putting my weight into it) - it made it nearly impossible to use the lockoffs because the seatbelt would be squished to the hinge......."

I put my weight in it and got it really tight then pulled forward on the base (away from the seat bight) at the bottom making the angle super upright and DH buckled the lockoff then we used the tether to pull it back to the right angle. Still a bit of a pain and our BV said we only had to lockoff the side away from the buckle.

kile529

my dh doesn't really touch the carseats.....mostly because I don't trust him! lol He'll be getting a lesson tonight as soon as I figure this out! :)

kile529

Okay - so I just tried again - no such luck. I even took the carseat off - and buckled myself in. Now, (w/o trying to make this sound gross) I took my hips and "thrusted" up and it didn't lock. I see how it *should* work - but it doesn't. It's broke! lol

I'm assuming I have to use the lockoff(s)??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC