Retrofit Quest for Tether Anchor

K

kathleen

After much research I bought a Fisher Price Grow With Me car seat for my 28 lb. 2 yr. old son. When I rec'd it, the instructions said it was REQUIRED to be tethered while using the 5 point harness. I have an old (93) Nissan Quest and I've taken it to 1 dealer (talked with another) and they told me I can't install an anchor for the tether. What do I do now??? Surely Nissan has provided some retrofit options for their older cars/vans?! I'm not looking to make it LATCH compatible, just tethered. Thanks for your help.

ADS
U

UlrikeDG

Are you in Canada, and if not, where did you get the seat?

(This message was left blank)

R

Robert

Since 1989 most vehicles sold in the US had been equipped with tether anchor points due to the fact they were also sold in Canada where vehicles were required to have anchor points.

The NIssan tether bracket number is (88894-89900) and is about $15.00. The bolt is sold separtely and the bolt size for most of Nissan's vehicles is 8mm x 1.25 (this should be doubled check for your vehicle). You may also want to contact Nissan at 800-647-7261 or www.nissan-na.com.

K

kathleen

Fisher Price Grow with me seat

I bought it from a man in Canada on e-Bay, but I'm in Florida.

K

kathleen

tether anchor

Thanks for your help. When you say that most cars after 1989 were required to have tether anchors, does that mean there is a place for the bolt in my car (but clearly no bolt since I haven't seen it)? Why do the Nissan dealerships say it can't be done then?

U

UlrikeDG

I was afraid of that!

Unfortunately, it is not legal to use that seat in the US. It is tested and certified for Canada, which has different regulations from the US. For example, Canada requires tethers for their carseats. In the US, they are optional. If you were in Canada, your vehicle would have come with tether anchors. This creates a problem for you, because you now have a seat which you cannot use legally, and which you may not be able to use properly in many vehicles here in the US. If, for example, your car broke down and you had to use a rental car for a while, the rental may not have tether anchors installed, either. Carpooling with a friend of family memember could prove troublesome as well.

Additionally, if you were in a collision and the seat failed, Fisher Price would not be liable for the damages to your child. And, you could potentially face legal reprecussions for not having your child properly restrained per Florida law (i.e., they could ticket or prosecute you as if you hadn't buckled your child at all).

The US version of the seat was nice for the US, and the Canadian version is great for Canada, but they are not interchangable.

K

kathleen

Can't use my car seat

Ohmygosh! So even if I install a tether (which I have figured out how to do with the help of Nissan-na and have the dealer ready to do tomorrow) I can't use this seat?! I am so upset that this man let me buy this seat knowing I was in the U.S. (Of course it's my fault for not knowing better, but I didn't realize the seats were different for the U.S. and Canada.) What should I do now? I guess I should try to resell the seat to someone in Canada and buy something else. Any recommendations on a combination seat? None of the ones I've researched are recommended by Consumers for use as a lap-positioning booster. HELP!

C

Caviller

Tether anchor information-

My tether manual says that tethers can be used in 93-98 Quest minivans. It states:

--------------------------

"Second row, 2 passenger bench or bucket seat: Use tongue of lap shoulder belt directly behind CR"

"Second row, 3-passenger bench Seat: In outboard position, use tongue of 3rd row lap/shoulder belt directly behind CR"

"Second row, center-seating positions of 3-passenger bench seat: Cannot be tethered"

"Third row, 3 passenger bench seat: (3) 8mm weld nuts in floor of cargo area."

Those weld nuts would require you to locate them and cut away the carpeting above them. You would then need Nissan part number 88894-89900 to install the anchor.

The notes go on to say, "When using latchplate hole, attach the tether hook, then pull shoulder strap all the way out to convert to automatic locking mode. For floor anchor, use bolt in anchor point. U-shaped anchor point indicators perforated in carpet."

-------------------------

As these comments can be somewhat confusing, you should definitely try to verify them in your owner's manual, or with Nissan directly 800-647-7261. If you do find an acceptable tethering method, I would highly suggest a visit to a local technician to have them check your installation. Please visit our "Free Carseat Inspection" link under the top banner.

Good luck!

Darren

C

Caviller

Please note-

You can still use your carseat. The problem is that it is technically untested, and it is technically illegal.

This does not necessarily mean that it is unsafe. It is certainly better to continue to use it than to use nothing at all, at least until you can find an acceptable replacement.

It is possible, of course, that the Canadian version of the seat is identical to the USA version, except for the labeling. Your child may be very safe, assuming the carseat is installed properly. Unfortunately, we don't know for sure how similar they are, and therefore cannot recommend that you use a carseat labeled for another country.

Please check our "Carseat Basics" link under the top banner for some ideas and links to other sites with recommendations. You might also reference Question #29 in our FAQ link under the top banner in regard to the Consumer Reports warning on boosters.

Good luck!

K

kathleen

You all rock!

I got in touch with Nissan-NA (again) and found a very helpful woman who came up with what you just wrote. Of course, this was all in my car manual, which is where I should have started in the first place! I am scheduled to have the tether anchors installed tomorrow. Now I just need a seat to go with them! Thanks for all your help. This is the best resource for car seat info I have found. Kathleen

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC