Just Installed Britax Marathon in Honda Odyssey but.....

M

MattW

Just Installed Britax Marathon in Honda Odyssey but.....

Well I was able to grab the last one at my local BRUS(Tustin, CA). This seat was to replace an infant carrier for my 7 month old son. I have a 2 year old and 7 month old twins. The 2 year old is in the center third row in a Britax roundabout and one of the twins is already in a roundabout behind the driver. I had had both roundabouts from the first child (my car and my wife's) so it was time to buy another car seat. Since the second row seats are the only one's with latch I was going to replace the infant carrier with the marathon. Well, here's the problem. I was able to get the new seat installed using the LATCH anchors and it fit pretty good, but now there is zero room to get behind the seat to get my 2 year old to the back. The front passenger seat is not all the way forward, but that doesn't seem practical to move the seat all the way forward just to get around the carseat and then move it back. The Marathon is a slightly bigger shell than the roundabout. I will probably have to move the roundabout from the third row to the second and give my 2 year old the new Marathon.

If anyone would like to see pictures of the seat installed in the odyssey let me know. Also if anyone has any suggestions in configuration let me know - Cavalier I know you have an odyssey too so maybe you have a suggestion.

Matt

ADS
C

Caviller

Not sure I understand-

We have a Britax Roundabout rear-facing in the second row behind the driver. It blocks access to the inside through the sliding door, so no adults or kids can walk through on that side. Our 4 year old happily crawls under the back of the Roundabout when he gets in on that side, though.

We have a front-facing NextStep LATCH behind the passenger in the second row. Even front facing, it is a squeeze for an adult to walk past to get to the center aisle from the sliding door. A kid can do it just fine though. When adults are riding in the third row, we slide the chair all the way forward, then flip the level that slides it to the center. That leave an aisle from the passenger side sliding door to the 3rd row.

When no one is in the 3rd row, we usually get into our seats in front and use the center aisle to walk back for loading/unloading in bad weather.

I know this may not answer your question, but I supect your best choice is to leave the twins side-by-side, moving the chair behind the passenger to the center position. That means the Marathon would be in the seat behind the passenger installed with LATCH as you have it. That would then leave an aisle on the outside for your son to get to the rear from the sliding door. Of course, the center aisle is now blocked for you. If that's a problem, you'd have to move that chair inboard/outboard each trip. That's a bit of an annoyance, but not too difficult.

I have some pictures here, though I don't know if they help much:

photos.yahoo.com/tcaviller

Good Luck!

T

tinkerthinker

Installed our Marathons too!

We installed 2 Marathons into the 2nd row of my '02 Ody.

I found a couple of things:
1. The LATCH system is great for cars with movable seats like the Ody. Now we can move the seats together or apart, foward or back, without having to re-do seatbelts (although I did have to adjust the tether).

2. We had to switch the LATCH connectors between left and right because they would not fit into the seat crevice as they were configured originally. Otherwise the LATCH installation was much less painstaking than the seatbelt installation.

One question. I've seen some parents mention using a noodle or rolled towel to get the right angle for their carseat. How do I figure out what the right angle for a FF carseat is? As installed presently, our carseat bases are in complete contact with the seats of the car.

Thanks in advance for the help!

U

UlrikeDG

A noodle or towel can only be used *rear* facing.

(This message was left blank)

C

Caviller

Re: A noodle or towel can only be used *rear* facing.

Furthermore, upright is the best position for a front facing seat. Some models do allow recline positions while front-facing, though you must check the manual to see if that is permitted.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC