Using carseats after accident??

L

Lisashepp

Using carseats after accident??

I have been told by everyone I know in real life that after an accident all carseats need to be replaced regardless of whether or not a child was in them at the time of the accident.

But my insurance adjuster said that since the seat wasn't occupied it doesn't need to be replaced.

Actually Britax said the Britax Husky I have, wouldn't need to be replaced since she wasn't in it at the time of the accident.

I want my dd to be safe, but we really don't have enough money to buy her another carseat.

What is the right answer?

Lisa

ADS
C

CPSDarren

Sounds like you've contacted the right people-

To be conservative, we always recommend replacing a carseat after any crash. There are too many unknowns to give any other advice without being involved in the crash first hand.

Of course, it may seem a bit overboard to replace a carseat involved in a very low speed bump, one with no damage to the vehicles, no injuries and one where the carseat was unoccupied. In those cases, it is reasonable for a parent to make their own decision after inspecting the seat for any possible stress or damage.

Ultimately, it is also a very good idea to contact the manufacturer of the carseat.

So, I don't have any additional advice for you since you have already contacted Britax. I will note that in some states, insurance companies must follow a law and replace carseats in many circumstances in a crash. As with anything insurance related, you often have to be a real pest with numerous calls/letters to get what you want.

Good luck!

Darren

U

UlrikeDG

To add just a little bit to what Darren posted...

Britax says they've tested seats after they've been in crashes and found that a seat that was unoccupied during a crash still performs within their safety standard. The forces on an unoccupied seat are significantly less than the forces on an occupied one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC