Does anyone know of rear-facing injuries?

lovinwaves

Does anyone know from personal experience, heard stories, or have technical info on what injuries do actually occur to rear-facing children? If a child was in a severe frontal/offset frontal crash what injuries could they possibly sustain? Could they break their shoulder or collarbone from the harness straps pressing down on them?

ADS

j4m4d8

Check out this CIREN case:

http://nhtsa-nrdapps.nhtsa.dot.gov/bin/cirenfilter.dll
Check out case #30329

A two month old was in as severe collision involving a semi truck. Her left clavicle was fractured. However, I doubt that it was from the harness being too tight. The info indicates the clavicle was broken on rebound. The baby went home after three days in the hospital and was apparently fine afterward. Beautiful case of how well a rear-facing seat in the middle of the back seat works. Sad because the driver (probably the mother) died. The picture of the vehicle is heartbreaking.

And for what happens in a rear-facing seat when the shoulder harness isn't snug check out case #551072069. Here a 6 month old broke both femur bones as a result of the loose harness. On the other hand, he did apparently stay contained in the seat--a nice example of how rear-facing is more forgiving of installation errors than forward-facing.

Julie D.

Last edited:

LuvBug

I couldnt help but chuckle when I got to one part, even though it was sad.
"Age 2 months- Sex Female, not reported pregnant"

also it says the child had skull fractures from rebounding on the carseat. This would probably be where you would want EPS foam!

(and wow that is an interesting database! on some of the accidents it lists the carseat involved and how it was/wasnt installed/used)

CandCfam

Oh wow
Check out case # 31445
So sad.
More evidence of why you should never put a young child in a front seating position with an airbag.:(

Injury Analysis
This 16-month old, 12 kilogram (26.4 pound), 55 centimeter (21 inch) female was the right front passenger of a 1995 Chevrolet Geo Metro 4-door involved in a frontal collision. She was restrained in a forward-facing Gerber child safety seat which was anchored by the available 3-point lap/shoulder belt; in addition, her passenger airbag deployed. The child sustained major injuries in this collision and was transported to a local trauma center by helicopter. At the time of vehicle inspection, the front passenger seat was adjusted rearward of the center track position. The child was restrained in a safety seat that was appropriate for her age, weight, and height. However, the child should never have been seated in the front seat of the vehicle especially in the presence of an active airbag. All of the child's injuries resulted from contact with the airbag and the injuries sustained were likely much more severe than they would have been had the child been in the rear seat. Because the child safety seat was not available for inspection, it is impossible to determine whether it was installed correctly. According to the child's mother, the belt was routed through the proper path and the seat was secured to the vehicle. However, crash investigation identified a free sliding latchplate on the available lap and shoulder belt which requires the use of a locking clip in order to properly install a child safety seat. A locking clip was not used in this crash and this may have caused excessive forward movement of the safety seat potentially resulting in more forceful impact with the airbag.

Last edited:

CandCfam

Oh my word.
Reading some of the cases...
Ciren # 377029477
Injury Analysis
This 15-day old, 4 kilogram (9 pound), 51 centimeter (20 inch), male was the right rear occupant of a 1995 Geo Metro. The case occupant was restrained in an infant safety seat with a detachable base. The infant seat was secured to the vehicle in the rear-facing position with the available manual 3-point restraint which had a free-sliding latchplate. The child seat was installed incorrectly because a seatbelt with a free-sliding latchplate requires either the use of a locking clip or the placing the seatbelt in automatic locking retracting mode. The seatbelt used to install this particular safety seat was not placed in automatic locking mode nor was it used with a locking clip. The case vehicle exited the roadway, struck a tree, and rolled over approximately four times. At the scene, the child was found on the back seat of the vehicle, out of the safety seat. According to paramedics on the scene, the car seat was still buckled into the vehicle after the collision, but the seat was loose. They seemed to think that the baby probably remained in the infant seat until just before the vehicle finished its rotation. There was also a tire jack and 5-6 bricks in the back seat of the vehicle. There was no reported loss of consciousness at the scene. The baby was crying at the scene and was transported to a local trauma center. The child arrived at trauma center fully immobilized on a backboard. Physical examination revealed a contusion on the right upper chest, a small chin abrasion, and a left parieto-occipital contusion. There were fragments of glass found in the child's diaper. Radiological imaging studies of the head revealed a non-depressed upper parietal fracture and hematomas at the left frontal and parietal regions. There was also soft tissue swelling at the left parietal area. The child was admitted for further observation.
:eek:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There was a CHOP presentation at Lifesavers a few years ago. They were discussing the benefits of rear-facing and the horrible injuries they'd studied in cases of young children who were forward-facing. Someone asked about possible injuries from rebound. They said they had seen a couple cases of minor facial fractures that might have been related but it wasn't conclusive. At the time, it sounded like another paper on the topic was forthcoming, but I never saw one.

Presumably for older rear-facing kids, head excursion may become an issue.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Head excursion should always be reduced by using a tether. Unfortunately, there are no studies yet to support that RF tethers are beneficial for that reason, though.

SPJ&E

So, not to sound stupid here, but what exactly are rear-facing tethers beneficial for? They improve the stability in side impacts and rollovers, is that right?

Splash

Tighter install, better rollover, side impact, and rear ending protection, better angle, less side to side movement, prevents rebound.
Honestly, after installing my nephew's Intera the other day, I would not go without a tether again. I thought of moving Charlie into a Scenera or AO once he hit 33 pounds, but I'll just turn him around. It's not worth it for me to skip the tether.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Well, they should be very beneficial for head excursion, just as front facing tethers are. They may prevent rebound into a pillar or hard seating surface as well as add stability in side impacts and rollovers. Presumably this would be most advantageous for older children who are still seated rear-facing.

Even though there are no statistics that they are preventing injuries or fatalties doesn't mean they do not accomplish these things. There really isn't much for statistics on front-facing tethers yet, either.

SPJ&E

I really like the rear-facing tether as well...I love how solid it makes the install. I was just wondering what exactly it DOES help with.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In general, the tighter you can couple a child restraint to a vehicle initially, the more you can take advantage of the ride-down time provided when the vehicles frame is crushing in a crash. Both front and rear-facing tethers couple the top of the child restraint better to the vehicle, so there should be real safety benefits. Rear-facing seats are already very safe when used correctly, so the addition of a tether may not make nearly as much improvement as with a front-facing seat.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Rear-facing seats are already very safe when used correctly, so the addition of a tether may not make nearly as much improvement as with a front-facing seat.

Thanks, Darren. I'm glad to hear that since I have my 3 yr old DD rear facing in an Intera, so with no available tether. I was starting to doubt her safety there for a minute!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC