Britax RA in 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon

C

CaseysMom

I'm new to this board and was hoping to get some insight on installing my Britax RA (RF) in a 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon. I would really like to keep my son in the middle of the seat, but I am having problems getting the seat tight. My RA does not have LATCH.

Any Suggestion??

Does anyone have a seat that they can get tight in this type of vehicle?

I previously owned a 98 VW Jetta and could get this seat rock solid even before putting on the tether.

Danielle

ADS

Robert

CPST Instructor
In checking the "Compatibility" link above for your vehilce and seat I found that there were two installations that had a good fit. Have you had a technician look at the installation?

M

mdsvc89

subaru outback

DD was in a Cosco Alpha Omega, both RF and FF in the back of our 1996 Subaru Outback wagon, with no problem.

What difficulty are you having installing the seat properly?

-Michelle

C

CaseysMom

Robert--
No, I haven't had a technician look at it yet because when I had the Jetta I had the seat checked and basically I was suppose to have it installed and then they just checked to make sure it was in correctly. I figured I should have it installed as best as possible first. Is that not the case? Have you ever seen a Mighty Tight? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Michelle-
The seat has way too much movement from side to side. My fiancee and I even worked on it together, with me basically in the seat on my knees pushing my back against the roof of the car for added pressure. What type of belt do you have the harness/lap belt that comes from the roof or just a lap belt?

We worked on it tonight again with no luck. I finally gave in and installed it in the outboard position for the time being. I figured Casey is safer in the outboard position of a tightly secured car seat than in the middle with the seat moving side to side. I guess I know what my weekend project is going to be.

Danielle

Robert

CPST Instructor
Danielle, I would not be adding anything extra to the child seat. You should be able to get a tight fit without adding anything extra to the seat or belt unless there is a compatibility problem. I would have a local technician take a look at the problems you are having.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hi Danielle

I will try our Roundabout in my wife's 2000 Outback wagon this weekend. I don't recall how well it fit RF in the center. The 2000 is the first year of the current design, and should be almost identical to the 2003. Hopefully it is at least close enough to be of some help. I'll snap a photo or two if I remember. I'll add it to my Outback gallery here:

http://www.pbase.com/carseat/outback

M

mdsvc89

outback, center position

As I mentioned, we don't have a britax, but dd was in the center position of our outback in her alpha omega. (She's in a bpb now, so outboard.)

The hardest thing for us was figuring out how short to make the seatbelt before DH climbed into it and I tried to buckle it -- it was much harder than doing a similar installation outboard, where you can just pull on the seatbelt and retract it.

-Michelle

C

CaseysMom

Darren--

Thanks for the pics of the RF tether anchors. I read the entire manual trying to find possible tethers for a RF seat and they never showed anything. Can I use those tethers if the seat is in the middle also?

I had a tech help me over the weekend and we were able to get it in the middle seat. The only thing I question is the front part of the base is on the piece that holds the seatbelt buckles. Is that really OK? If you get a chance and are able to post some pics that would be very helpful.

Danielle

C

CaseysMom

Michelle--

The seat belts were a challenge until we figured out what we were doing wrong. It was much easier installing the seat in the car (Jetta) before the Subaru. The Jetta only had a lap belt in the center position. I actually could install the seat by myself in that car.

Danielle

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Sorry!

Sorry, Danielle, I have not had any time to reinstall and take pictures yet. I suspect it may be next weekend, since the Outback is gone during the day...

It sounds like yours may be in right since you've had it checked. I see no particular problem if the front of the seat touches the plastic seatbelt holders, unless it causes it to be loose of course.

It should be fine to use that anchor spot from the center, unless you find it causes the seat to tilt severely to one side. Usually, you can adjust the tether so this isn't a problem.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC