Rearfacing MA questions...

U

Unregistered

I finally did it.. after hours and hours of being online, reading posts, and reviews... bought a Marathon for DS from BRU! I installed it tonight, it's in there nice and solid with the latch, I impressed myself. I will have it checked by a tech soon, but for now I have a few questions..

1. Where is the best place to rear face tether in a Honda Accord CRV 2002 (if anyone knows!) I found a bar under the seat that I have it tethered to now, the bar goes from one side of the seat to the other.

2. I've read some posts saying that the MA fits in the back of a CRV and the front seats can be pushed all the way back. I'm not seeing this happen in my CRV. Could I have done something wrong? I have him behind the drivers seat, maybe I should switch the kids, just hope my very outspoken 2 year old won't mind! If the MA is on the passenger side, will I be able to see out the window for driving, esp if i use a sunshade for him???

3. Should the seat be 45 degrees (reclined)? I saw some posts with some suggestions on how to try to determinet the angle, but I didn't know if needed to be about 45 exactly..

4. I took off the Hugs, but the Hugs are the ones that aren't rounded (newer ones?)... how 'new' are the rounded ones and can i order them from Britax? I thought by buying the seat now I would get one w/ the better Hugs..

I hope DS (4 1/2 mos) will enjoy his first ride in his new 'throne'! Now I have to get one for DD!

TIA,,
Stephanie
Sophia 8/4/01
Anthony 5/11/03

ADS

bazanna

Senior Community Member
I'll give it a go...

1. I'm unsure about the bar you describe...is it part of the seat itself or is it part of the seat's pedestal that is bolted to the floor? The tether should be attached to a nonmoving part so if it's part of the seat, which moves forward and backward, it should be tethered elsewhere. A leg is a good place, right above where it bolts to the floor.

2. I am tall and long-legged and have found it difficult to fit a rearfacing seat behind my driver's seat. If you put it behind the passenger seat, I doubt you'll create a blind spot for yourself. If your sunshade is one of those roller types, you should know that it can become a dangerous projectile in a crash. The static-cling type are a safer alternative...they are soft plastic that sticks to the window. Mine stays there even when I roll the window up and down. I think it's easier to see through than the roller ones, too. :)

If you can fit them and the children won't bother each other, you might try putting the MA in the center position, then the seat can recline sort of in between the two front seats.

3. 45 degrees is not mandatory. It is a guideline for newborns whose tracheas are not yet rigid nor very large. The recline helps keep the trachea open so they can breathe. Since your son is 4 months old, I'd probably stay as close to the 45 deg as possible but when he's a little older, maybe 6-10 months, you can lessen the recline. Less reclined is actually safer but the recline is important for newborns.

4. Call Britax and ask. I'm sure they'd sell you some. For what it's worth, by the time your son is forward facing, those HUGS will not seem so huge and unwieldy. I have the older ones on my almost 4 yo and it's not a big deal at all. Your baby will grow a LOT in the first couple of years, as I'm sure you are aware. :)

Enjoy your new seat!

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much for all the help. I think I will redo the tether to the leg of the seat. I'm not sure if that bar moves w/ the seat or not.
I'll see how DH fits in the car driving, I'm fine. If not we can move him to the other side ( and we do have a stick on shade!). I don't know if 2 MAs will fit next to each other (to have him in center, going to get DD a MA too).
Thanks again!
STephanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC