Need help installing a TOP tether ANCHOR

Misty-Bug

my husband just got a fiero. Dang, I don't know the year. But he said that the top anchor for FFing can be installed on the firewall behind the passenger seat.

There is no airbag and no locking belt but I will try to get it in with the locking clip.

Now we have this kit, bought from Canadian tire like 10 years ago (do I need a new one? never been in an accident) Can't find a picture. But it has washers, the hook and a bolt.

Can my husband, who is a mechanic, install it himself? He has a torque wrench. I just need to know what torque to tighten it to and if anyone knows where exactly to put this hook.

off to research more.

ETA:
IS this something he can do? I think we will head over to the dealership just in case

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have no idea on the specifics, but my understanding is that, with the proper instructions, pretty much anyone should be able to do it. As a mechanic, your husband shouldn't have any trouble. But that's presuming you can get the details you need (including the proper placement).

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hmm, the last model year for the Pontiac Fiero was 1988, and its 1989 and newer GM models that are retrofittable with one top tether anchor for free through a GM dealership according to the LATCH manual. This doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done yourself with some instructions from GM, if such instructions exist. Without any official info. from GM, it could be tricky because the Fiero is a mid-engine car, going from memory and the Wiki entry for the Fiero and the back wall/firewall is adjacent to the engine compartment.

Jeanum

Staff member
I'm a car geek and old enough that some of my high school friends and another of DH's college friends used to own Fieros when they were fairly newish cars. :) Used to own because they were trouble prone enough that our friends actually didn't keep theirs long. :eek: DH is tallish and long torsoed and he had to wedge himself into the passenger seat to ride in his friend's, lol.

Misty-Bug

Phil fits great in his car. He is 6'2" and built but it is a great car for HIM.

they didn't tell me that it would cost. :confused: If they try to charge me I will be turning around and leaving. It is a 1987.....they guy didn't argue me when I told him that as far as I knew it should be free. But I didn't know about the 1989 rule. I feel kind of bad now...but they aren't charging me as of now.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Just out of curiosity (and sorry for going OT a bit :eek:), how often do you plan for him to ride in this car? I would be very reluctant to put a child in a two-seater unless it was an emergency.

Sounds like a great fun commuter car for dad, though! :) I was in love with the Fiero when I was in jr high/high school and have never had the chance to drive one. My cousins had one that they shared (hand-me-down from their mom :rolleyes:) but they never offered me the wheel. :p

Misty-Bug

Just out of curiosity (and sorry for going OT a bit :eek:), how often do you plan for him to ride in this car? I would be very reluctant to put a child in a two-seater unless it was an emergency.

Sounds like a great fun commuter car for dad, though! :) I was in love with the Fiero when I was in jr high/high school and have never had the chance to drive one. My cousins had one that they shared (hand-me-down from their mom :rolleyes:) but they never offered me the wheel. :p

it will be occasionally but we need it for those rare cases that it is emergency. I am fine with him in it. He is far away from the dash, no airbag etc. As long as I can get it installed right then I am comfortable with it.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What is the seatbelt like in the Fiero? It's not one with a sewn latch plate or with part attached to the door is it?

Hopefully the dealership gets it all worked out for you. :)

Misty-Bug

I will post pictures when I get home, at my MIL's now.

We don't see HOW it is going to work. The seatbelt is not right. Thinking of putting a different seatbelt in.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
What is the seatbelt like in the Fiero? It's not one with a sewn latch plate

I'm pretty sure it does have a sewn-on latchplate. If the lap portion of the seat belt doesn't lock, you'll need to use a belt-shortening clip. I would definitely find an experienced tech to install it, as these are very tricky. (I wouldn't even try one myself unless under the supervision of a tech who has experience with them, having only installed with one during my CPST class.)

Misty-Bug

So, did you guys get the Jimmy sold? Geez, your DH and his cars!

oh don't even get me FRIGGEN STARTED on him and his cars. Hey, at least I am getting lots of experience with different vehicles. Phil thinks I should take the Fiero into my tech class and learn on that! lol. He bets they will say it can't be done. I have to order a belt shortening clip. What an ordeal. he will just end up selling this one too! LOL! I am so mad and told him that it has to stop. He figures in his life he has owned more then 70 cars. SICK!!!! :thumbsdown: I counted 15 since we have been together. Ten years. This has to stop!!!

here are pics of the belt. I am going to go down and see if the lap portion locks. Seems like this is going to be an ordeal. I have to see if I have Nicole's phone number!!! Definately think it is a sewn on latch plate. Grr! Wonder if it would be easier to just change the seatbelt. LOL

sigh...

Sept28016.jpg

Sept28015.jpg

Sept28014.jpg

UlrikeDG

Ford: F1VZ-6161248-A (includes instructions for belt shortening)

I remember reading that, while the clip is still the heavy-duty version which can be used as a BSC, Ford no longer includes the Belt Shortening Clip instructions with their locking clips.

Jeanum

Staff member
Were you able to get the tether anchor retrofitted at the dealership? That would be a primary goal first IMHO before dealing with the seatbelt/BSC. Without a tether anchor, then everything else becomes pretty moot since you're in Canada where top tethering is required for forward facing harnessed seats, KWIM? :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC