Narrow car seat for airplane?

K

kimarie

My DH and I will be taking a trip from LAX to Florida in Jan. DS will be 10 months then an we purchased a seat for him. I currently have a Marathon, but would like to get something narrower as the seats are 17inches and I need all the room I can get already being that I am a fairly fluffy mama. Any suggestions? I will be buying another Britax eventually, so RF weights aren't as much of a concern for me, of course if there is one that goes to 35 lbs. that's great- if not I'll probably donate it to a needy mama I know afterwards.

This is kind of an OT question, but does anyone know if they will let me BF my DS during takeoff and landing? The airline told my husband he needs to be in the seat for takeoff and landing and I really want to feed him to equalize the pressure.

TIA

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Cosco Scenera is light and narrow and very easy to travel with. Or take the MA and just put the armrest up between you?
I've nursed all my kids during all stages of flight...but do yourself a favor and bring him a sippy cup or bottle, because wrangling a big (or even small... lol) baby into your lap to nurse quietly is seriously uncomfortable, and takeoff and landing are really the most dangerous parts of the flight, when you would most WANT him safely secured in his car seat.

:)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At 10 months he should be installed RFing on the plane (he can until the weight limits of the seat, and it's safer for him as well, look at the direction most of the attendants sit). That will give you more shoulder room with the Marathon, as well as make it VERY easy for you to lean forward a bit and nurse him while you're both in your seat. Since you're only restrained by a lap belt you don't need to worry about pulling the shoulder belt out of position. Piper and I took off and landed that way until she was about two I think. Maybe later. She happily nursed as much as she needed.

Putting the armrest up will make your life a lot easier. And from experience the Britaxes are easier to install and uninstall RFing anyway. When you do travel with a FFing Britax remove the black plastic so your hands have room to fit to loosen the buckle so you can undo it (it won't be able to open in the back of the seat, not enough room) or ask for a buckle extension. With RFing you just plunk it in and tighten. Just get the buckle in the middle of the seat so your son won't have his leg on it.

HTH

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC