WWYD, choosing an airline flight Q xpost

skaterbabs

OK, Cam has agreed that I can go the Lifesavers in March, and has me researching flight info, ect, so he can budget.

That said, it's pretty much decided that I'll be flying Jet Blue.

The quandry is whether I should fly out of DC or Richmond - it's approximately $40 more (round trip) to fly out of Richmond than to fly out of DC.

However, it's a three hour drive (minimum) to fly out of DC. So the ticket cost savings would basically be eaten by the gas for the trip, even if we took the Jeep.

So, frequent flyers, what's your opinion?

ADS

skaterbabs

Thanks. I'm (obviously) very excited. ;) I'm leaning towards paying the extra $20/flight to fly out of Richmond. Or at least for the outbound flight. Maybe we can plan on going into DC for the return trip and letting the kids explore the capitol. They'd love the zoo and the Smithsonian.

lovinwaves

Thanks. I'm (obviously) very excited. ;) I'm leaning towards paying the extra $20/flight to fly out of Richmond. Or at least for the outbound flight. Maybe we can plan on going into DC for the return trip and letting the kids explore the capitol. They'd love the zoo and the Smithsonian.

Ooooo that sounds like fun!! My kids LOVE the zoo.

ccjones

I fly ALOT for my job, I'm gone at least one or two weeks a month, fortunately it's only for 2-3 days at a time and not the full 5-day work week. If you fly out of DC, would it be from Dulles or Reagan National? I've never flown out of Richmond, but I occasionally have to fly out of Dulles or National when I can't get a flight from BWI. The security checkpoints at National are just ridiculous due to its proximity to the Pentagon. And Dulles is just super-expensive to park and to eat, not to mention it's very crowded.

I think I would pay the extra $40 and fly in and out of Richmond, but the idea of flying back to DC sounds good so your family can sight-see. If you do fly back into DC, how would you get home if you leave your car (I'm assuming) at Richmond?

Colleen

skaterbabs

Jet Blue flies out of Dullus. United has a slighter cheaper fair, but it's from Reagan. Cam said to take Jet Blue because the seats are better for resting (I get really motion-sick on planes.) Thanks for the tip about parking, we definately wouldn't want to do that twice!

Cam & the kids are staying HOME (honestly we can't afford to take everyone) so he'd be dropping off & picking me up from the airport. I won't be leaving the car at the airport.

ccjones

D'oh, I forgot that Jet Blue only flies out of Dulles. I don't get to take Jet Blue very often because they never seem to fly to where I need to go for work. *pout* Your DH is right, the Jet Blue seats are more comfy, and you'll get a few extra inches of legroom compared to United. But the best feature is the built-in screens on the back of each seat so you can watch TV (I think they get satellite) or a movie.

You might want to think about taking some Dramamine for the motion sickness. They have a new formula that is non-drowsy. I get motion sickness on my father's sailboat, and I just discovered the non-drowsy Dramamine this summer!

Colleen

LEAW

Yep, pay the extra cash to have a shorter day... driving and flying and everything else is a lot to do! You'd eat the difference in gas, nevermind the time factor..

Playing in DC with the kids after might be a fun treat though... all the museums are free, and so many cool places to go!

skaterbabs

I'll have to look for the Dramamine. The worst part of the motion sickness for me is the migraine. I really don't travel well. lol

Speaking of which, Jet Blue has a long layover in NYC. Where in the airport can I get a *really* good bfast/lunch?
(11:35 am to 1:15 pm on the mid-morning flight, 8:20 am to 9:55 am on the early morning flight.)

hsjwmom

I just wanted to mention a homeopathic medicine I discovered a few months ago before we drove 10 hrs...Dramamine has never been my favorite, so I was on the lookout for something different.It's called Cocculus Indicus. I found it at Whole Foods. I was shocked...IT ACTUALLY WORKED! Normally, if I turn around in my seat AT ALL, instant headache and sick stomach. Not this time! Toward the end of the trip, I wasn't feeling my best, but tons better than normal!

Anyway, sorry I have nothing to offer in the flight/travel area...I just wanted to tell you about that stuff I tried! :)

skaterbabs

Thanks for the tip! Last time I tried Dramamine it didn't do anything at all, but it would be interesting to try this stuff. I'll have to check our local Good Foods Grocery and see if they have it.

Splash

Take the Richmond flight. Never mind the gas quotient, do you REALLY want to spend three hourse in a car and who knows how long on a plane AND 2 hours in a NYC airport (JFK or LGA... except I think JetBlue only does JFK, and I only do LGA which has NO good places to eat IMO)? No, you don't.
But I probably would fly back into DC if you wanted to do some fun things with the kids. If you won't be too exhausted.

Have fun!

skaterbabs

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. Dh likes the idea of taking the kids to see the zoo or the Smithsonian after picking me up.

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Go from Richmond. I try to avoid Dulles at all costs. Along with National, the security there is over the top (I mean I want security, but there are SUCH long lines). On certain flights, I've waited hours in the security line.

Hmm, it might be faster I drove to Richmond to go to Chicago!:D :D

skaterbabs

:) That would be cool, but the flights are both pretty early in the morning. lol (one is at 7, the other at ten.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC