Safest Option For 7 Yr Old

M

MamaGirl

I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice. I have 3 kiddos:

7 yr old (in 3 days!): 43 lbs, 48 inches tall (she's real petite)

3 yr old: 31 lbs, 36/37 inches tall

5 1/2 month old: 17 lbs

Thinking I was doing what was best, I purchsed Britax Boulevards for the younger 2, and a Britax Parkway for my oldest. I was under the impression that she was too big for a 5-point harness. Apparently, I was wrong. But the Regent doesn't have the TSIP, does it? So I guess my question is, which would be the safest option: TSIP but in a booster, or a 5-point harness without the TSIP? She's too tall for a Boulevard, I'm pretty sure, or I'd get her one.

My 2nd question is, my husband has installed the baby's Boulevard with both the seat belt and the LATCH. (Or tether - it comes off the top of the carseat) Is this wrong? He thought that made it extra-safe. But guessing by a couple threads I was perusing, that isn't the case?

Thanks!!!

ADS

mamato2

No you DO NOT want to install using BOTH belt and latch. Install it with whichever gives you the best install. That will be 'safe enuff'! :)
My 8yr old is about the size of your 7 yr old. She rides in a Husky on a daily basis and only uses the Parkway when riding in someone elses vehicle.
I believe even though the Husky/Regent do not 'claim' TSIP that they are considered to do so. The seats are wide enough that they will protect the child in them from some intrusion during an accident.
I have chosen to keep my dd in a 5 point harness because I think they are safer. The fact that she is the size of an average 6 year old and weighs just a few pounds over 40lbs makes me even more determined that she stay in a 5 point until she is 'bigger' as opposed to just 'older'.
C.

mamato2

OOPS I just re-read your post.I think I misunderstood the first time around. Using the top tether and seat belt IS OK and is preferred and will result in a safer installation. Using the LOWER latch AND the belt is NOT ok.
The belt will keep the seat in place and the tether will reduce how far the seat will move forward or backward (depending upon whether the seat is ff or rf) in an accident. They work together to keep the child safer than with just the belt, but the tether is 'optional'.
The lower latch MUST be used with the tether.
Sorry about that :rolleyes:
C.

Amaris

MamaGirl, my 5 year old is the exact same size as your 7 year old! Right now he's in a marathon, but he's only got about an inch of room before his shoulders are over the top slots. Right now we are trying to look at the regent, but we can't seem to find anywhere around here that sells them. They harness to 80lbs, and my understanding is that they have harness slots that are considerably higher than the marathon. If we can find one and ds has enough growing room for it to make sense, then that's what we plan on getting. If you want a 5pt harness then you may want to look at a regent also.

My almost 8-year-old son is about the same size minus a few inches in height.

I was looking into getting him a Regent, but it won't fit in our SUV.

I think that would be the best option for her. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC