Britax overrated/overpriced?

S

ssmith

Britax overrated/overpriced?

I have seen so many comments about Britax carseats. I have looked at them in stores and even considered purchasing them. I have absolutely no doubts that they are very safe seats. However, I think it is a disservice to people everywhere to convey the message that they are better than everything else that is available. There are many other choices that are much more cost effective and just as safe. It is like comparing a luxury sedan to a mid-priced family car. The more expensive one may indeed be slightly better, but not enough to justify spending more money than you can afford. I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying a Britax who can afford it; however, don't let their praise discourage you from buying a less expensive, but also excellent, seat. If you truly cannot afford a Britax, don't feel like you will be compromising the safety of your child by buying a less expensive one. Many others are also very good seats.

ADS
C

Caviller

Point well taken-

Used properly, just about every child restraint that meets current federal standards is very safe. Most injuries and fatalities are from misuse or non-use of child restraints.

The best choice is one that fits your child and vehicle properly, and this does vary. Selecting a model with features that allow you to use it properly each time is also a good idea, and that IS an area where Britax models do well. Even so, with a little more effort, even the most inexpensive seats can be used properly each time.

I own a Britax model, and models from most other manufacturers. I feel safe using any one of them.

Britax does have a great many devout followers, much as do most luxury makes. This is pretty typical of any product that is more expensive than the more common brands. In defense of Britax, I do like the extended weight limits of their newer models (33/65 for Marathon, 80 for Husky), their innovative Laptop and their versa-tether system that can be used rear-facing.

Darren

D

DaveCS

Re: Britax overrated/overpriced?

How about the view of a somewhat biased Britax owner. My wife and I have 4 Britax seats and one Evenflo.

Are they overrated? Probably a bit. They get a lot of hype from people like me. Are they overpriced? That's hard to answer, but maybe.

I had some specific criteia that I wanted in a seat. People in the stores looked at me rather strangely when I started taking the covers off the various convertable seats. They had to have EPS foam all the way around. Anything without it, or with EPS just on the back or sides, went back on the shelf. The remaining ones I put on the floor. I then buckled my son into each one until I had the ones left that fit him properly. The Britax seat fit the very best, and was easy to use. It has the Versa-Tether and is relatively easy to install. So we bought 2, one for each car. We did the same a couple of years ago for my daughter.

We asked ourselves: What price do you put on your child's safety and your own piece of mind? Personally, if you can find me a seat that can survive anything, I'll buy it no matter what name is on it, or how much it costs. I'm sure that Britax charges what the market will bear. The Marathon is 250 bucks, and Babies R Us can't keep them in stock. Britax isn't even the most expensive seat available.

You have to buy what fits your child, your car, and your budget. Every seat sold meets the standards set forth by the government for child seats. Any child seat when used properly is better than none at all.

I am quite happy with my expenditure. I hope I NEVER have to find out if the seat is safe.

Oh... Have your seat inspected. It's free, and you never know if you've installed the thing correctly if you don't have somebody check it out.

M

murphydog77

I've been one of the lucky ones--I've not owned a convertible seat by any other manufacturer than Britax, so I have nothing to compare it to in everyday use. As a certified technician, I've worked with many seats, just not in everyday life.

I used jump right into posts asking for recommendations for seats and would always recommend the RA, hands down. Now that I'm trained and there are other seats on the market with similar features, I'm not so quick to suggest the seat.

I guess my dissatisfaction with Britax came from using the Super Elite. I was surprised at how the quality of this seat was so below the Britax "standards". The instruction manual didn't address the dual tether issue, the harness straps have already twisted through the buckle and the harness adjuster tab broke. Britax did send me a new seat, but this one has HUGS and again, the instruction manual didn't address how to use HUGS.

I always heard about how great the customer service was, but until my problem with the SE, I never had "great" cs. I never had confidence that my questions were being answered by a knowledgeable person.

I think the important thing is that I've come to realize that Britax isn't a company that should be put up so high on a pedestal. They do have innovative products and great features, but they are bound to have problems, just like any other company. When you do a side-by-side comparison of features, Britax seats usually have the most user-friendly. However, the playing field is starting to even out with some of the new seats on the market and most of those seats have prices that are more reasonable.

Whew! How's that for a book???

Heather

D

DaveCS

Customer Service

I forgot about customer service. When I needed an extra base for my Evenflo seat, I talked to a rep, and ordered the part on a weekend. I got a machine at Britax on the weekend I called. Not very customer friendly if you ask me. I still like the products, but the customer service could use a boost. They need to look at other, larger companies for an example. They charge enough for their product to be able to afford some weekend expertise.

T

Thia327

I wasn't going to respond but I just kept thinking about it -
I happen to be one of those who have a Britax car seat - I love it, I've used it in 5 different vehicles
1- mine - 2000 Chevy Malibu
2- the other half - 2000 Chevy S-10 pickup
3- friends - 1999 Shillioute Mini Van
4- Rental - 2002 Buick Century
5- Window seat on the plane on Vacation
I have never had a problem putting the seat in the cars (or the plane).
When I needed to get my daughter a new car seat because she was quickly outgrowing her infant carseat. I did some research on what carseat to get and everything kept going back to the Britax - Yes the car seat is expensive - and others would do the job just as well and I'm sure they do and Uncle Sam tell us they will.
I went to ToysRus to look to look at the carseats - I looked at them and some of them just seemed so big - I didn't want her to have to grow into it - I wanted her to fit and be safe - After taking them off the shelf and looking them all over - the decision was easy - My child's safety is what important not the price tag on the carseat. - The Britax was the best for her and we got it. If you think about from a accounting point of view - The carseat costs $200 - If you use it everyday for 3 years it would cost you .18 cents a day - If you used it 3 days a week it would cost .50 cents a day to use. I don't think there's many things you can buy for that kind of money - I think that's quite cost effective if you ask me.
I had someone once tell me they thought about buying one - since their child was a little Houidni - but she just couldn't see spending the money - What can I say - it's like raising kids - you can't tell people what to do, All you can do is tell them the options they have and let them deciede for themselves.
I've made my decission - my childs safety and life are worth more that $200 - I can't replace her and I would pay any price to keep her safe.
Sorry for the ranting

S

ssmith

Britax

I agree that you can't put a price on the life a child. Like I said before, I know that Britax car seats are a good choice. I have done hours and hours of research on the internet and in stores about car seats (when I am on the computer, my husband says, "Are you looking at car seats AGAIN?!?"). At a car seat check-up I was one of 7 people out of about 90 whose car seats and installation passed the inspection. The technician even suggested that I should consider becoming one myself. I am not saying that people should not buy a Britax car seat. I am saying that they should not feel guilty if they can't afford or choose not to buy one. At a store in my city, the only one in the area that sells Britax products, the owner talked down to me as if I didn't love my children because I don't have Britax car seats. I don't own a Britax seat simply because I have chosen other options for my three children. Their seats have many of the same options as Britax seats, but cost 50% to 75% less. I know that my children are safe in the car seats they are in. The key is to use and install the seats correctly every time they are used. If you decide that a Britax car seat is the best choice for you and your child, and if you can afford it, then by all means, buy it. But if there is another option that you also like that fits into your budget better, then buy that one. Just because something is more expensive does not necessarily mean it is better. Sometimes it does, but not always. No one should feel like they are compromising the safety of their child if they don't have the most expensive car seat available. We all know that all parents love their children more than anything. They should feel comfortable knowing that they bought the best car seat they could with the money they had.

D

DaveCS

Well said!

I must say that I agree with everything you said. The MOST important thing is to use a car seat, and use it correctly. No one should be made to feel guilty because they bought a different brand.

Dave

T

Thia327

You need to lighten up about the cost issue - The most important factor in decieding on a car seat is the safety of your child -
"But if there is another option that you also like that fits into your budget better, then buy that"

When I was decieding on a car seat the price wasn't even a factor in my decision - The first and only factor was best for my child -

S

safeinthecar

While I also agree that any car seat used properly is provides the same level of safety, your comparing apples to oranges when it comes to economics.My oldest daughter (almost 7) is very tall. At 18mths months she was 40 inches but only 19lbs. Too tall for her Century convertable but too lite for a booster w/harness ( the only one out at that time was the Breverra)The Evenflo Ultara was 1inch taller so we bought that. She outgrew that a month after she turned 2.(20lbs) The cosco highback had just come out and that one was 1inch taller and started at 20lbs. so we bought it.That was in april. by september she had outgrown that also. just out were the the century Next Step and the Evenflo Two-In-One. Both had a couple inches to grow but would not fit in both cars so we had to get both. She outgrew the evenflo just before she turned four and the Century just after but still weighed just under 30lbs.Time for the Futura. when she was 5.5 I bought the a roundabout for my son. And to my suprise I found that she was exactly even with the top slots.If I had just spent the money on the RA for her in the first place would have saved all the money I spent buying her six carseats which she outgrew years before she would have outgrown the britax. When she could finally use a booster, I didn,t blink at the price of the Starriser/Comfy. It goes tall enough for me(5'5"). If she outgrows that I'll sit in it and she can drive.To be fair Though I bought a Graco Turbo booster just the other day for a spare. It is only one inch shorter than the S/C. to sum it all up, it wuold surely be nice if all the car seats had comparable limits so that parents could really judge what is less expensive.

J

JoolsTAG

I agree, I wish it were clearer what we are actually buying.

I bought the evenflo Medallion for my ds at birth, because it had 'the most padding", and skipped the fisher price safe embrace, despite all the extra safety features, and I just laughed at the roundabout, wondering who would spend all that money. Well, the Medallion turned out to only fit my kids till right over age 2, the top slots were so terribly low, and I was forced to go out and buy a booster with higher limits, but that didn't have all that nice padding I was used to, and my dd was miserable in it. In the end, I spent much more than I would have had I just known better from the beginning, and even sacrificed having nice no-twist straps, easy to adjust harnesses, EPS foam, and handy built in lockoffs. Buying the cheaper seat in the beginning turned out to be anything BUT a bargain for me.

D

dsharp

Re: Britax overrated/overpriced

I'll take a whack at the expired horse! People talk about comfort and safety, but another important aspect is easy of use. We have found the RA to be easy to use. We've put it in our VW and minivan, and friends' cars and minivans, and airplanes. Always, the installation was fast and the installation was TIGHT (without noodles or rolled-up-towels). We have an Evenflo that's every bit as safe (SteveS's original point) but probably not as easy to use. Believe me, I didn't like the RA's price but two years later we're pretty pleased.

I guess I'm getting off-topic from SteveS's original point. He's right. Britax isn't the only safe seat around. Just be sure to consider "ease of use" along with comfort and safety. If it's easy to use, it'll be easier to install correctly (including in the dark, cramped in the back of your friend's car at the airport!)

Hope I don't sound too much like a rabid Britax supporter. Sometimes we drown out all of the other voices, it seems ;-) There are plenty of good seats out there, and there are others that are easy to use. They're getting better all the time.

My $0.02
David

C

carseatsafetymom99

I agree about more knowledge Re: Carseats

Yes, I agree that for budget minded people the Britax is expensive...But we are talking about our child's safety! I admit that My son's first seat was the Graco infant seat with travel system...Which he out grew by 3 months old! Then we bought the Evenflo Medallion V, was ok to use rf, because I could pull on the straps from the back to help tighten. But FF forget it! I hated using it! Then the FP Futura came out. Which I love to use. Right now he still fits in it, for a while anyway! He has a few inches left. He is Currently 34 1/2 months old (will be 3 - Nov. 27th) He weighs 42lbs, and he is 39 1/2" Tall and is still going though a grow spurt at the moment! But we are now keeping an eye out for the higher weight limit seats! Only a few out there, mainly Britax! We already bought the Britax Laptop for his Dad's truck!
But Unless some other CS Manufacturers come out with Higher weight & height limits on the Convertible Car Seats, then Britax will remain ahead of the game.

That is just my 2 cents worth!

Jennifer
Mom & CPS Tech
California

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC