Cloth diapering, compression, & car seats?

sunnymw

Just a quick, curious question. I've heard people say that CDing is safe while riding in a car seat... but it seems like there is a LOT of possible compression... I mean, when DS1 goes from cloth diaper to disposable in his car seat, I have to do a LOT of pulling to make the harness tight/loose enough to fit. It's at least a 1-2" difference. Is that ok? Or safe?

It's usually a prefold and a cover (and then clothes), or a thinner fitted and a cover.

I know it's not really like an "aftermarket product" but wouldn't it compress just as much, in theory???

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's pretty compressed to start out with. And I don't think they're that much thicker than a full disposable. Those things bulk up.

Wendy

fyrfightermomma

I noticed this too with my kids. Have a cloth diaper on and get the harness tight and then switch to a sposie and you can probably pinch about an inch on the harness.

I've always wondered if that was OK, but I've been told it is.

I have been cloth diapering for 4 months. I didnt notice much of a difference. i dont see my cds as being that much thicker than sposies, especially soiled sposies. i usually use BGs when we are out and about. i think it would be pretty ridiculous to say that using CDs while in carseats was unsafe.

Melizerd

hmm I've never put my son into the carseat with a full disposable diaper. So even if he soils it while in the car the harness is still tight. How many people put a kid into the car with a soiled diaper?!

sunnymw

LOL I don't, but I tell you what, whenever I use a disposable diaper and it gets soiled, so does the entire car seat!

I can't tell you how many times my snugride cover has been washed... eww... but since we got cloth? No more seat cover washing ;)

Melizerd

LOL I don't, but I tell you what, whenever I use a disposable diaper and it gets soiled, so does the entire car seat!

I can't tell you how many times my snugride cover has been washed... eww... but since we got cloth? No more seat cover washing ;)

Interesting. I've NEVER had a disposable leak/explode in the car (or anywhere else now that I think about it). My Marathon cover hasn't ever been washed.

fyrfightermomma

I'm also a mommy whose kid leaks out of every sposie. How many leaks or blow outs have I had since cloth?? Zip! Hehe...I love cloth :)

sunnymw

The worst was when I went on a 12 hour drive w/ 6MO DS (and DH), and about 5hrs into it there was an EBF poo explosion. I took off the seat cover, cleaned under it, and let the poo drain out. Then I wiped out (the cloth) as much as possible... put in a thick burp cloth, and kept riding. For six more hours. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww......... :(

But ANYWAY...

lilysmomma

I've never really noticed a difference in the harness tightness and switch from spoises to cloth quite often.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I've never really noticed a difference in the harness tightness and switch from spoises to cloth quite often.

Same here. She doesn't wear thick CDs though--just a prefold and cover.

DD1 was the worst for poo-splosions! We switched to cloth and she never blew out again.

singingpond

I definitely notice a difference in harness straps when my kids ride in disposable diapers vs. cloth, so it's clear that the CD's we use are thicker than sposies. I do not worry about it at all. A few layers of cotton, especially damp cotton, pressed down by a child's weight, just doesn't have much compressability left in it, IMO. It's not like a puffy jacket, which has a lot of air space in it.

Katrin

. A few layers of cotton, especially damp cotton, pressed down by a child's weight, just doesn't have much compressability left in it, IMO. It's not like a puffy jacket, which has a lot of air space in it.

Katrin

yeah, that, too :)

I can't tell you how many poo explosions I had with sposies. It was a nightmare. There is nothing like sitting with your EBF baby on your lap and hear the roar of a "big one" and then notice it has come completely up and out of the back of the diaper. one time, i tried to stop the leak from gettingout there and ended up with it all over my hand :eek: We switched to cloth and have seen a world of difference! The only time I have ever had a leak was my fault because I put a diaper on my son that I KNEW was too big and could see the giant gap. What was I thinking?!?! LOL Yeah, I don't make that mistake anymore. I love being leak free!

I :love: cloth!

hmm I've never put my son into the carseat with a full disposable diaper. So even if he soils it while in the car the harness is still tight. How many people put a kid into the car with a soiled diaper?!

you'd probably be surprised at how many people think that sposies can hold the hoover dam and don't change their babies frequently :( My mom as a very long history of working in a daycare and now running her own and I've heard the stories and seen it with my own eyes. So many children have to be immediately changed upon arrival cause they are THAT soaked! :thumbsdown:

sunnymw

you'd probably be surprised at how many people think that sposies can hold the hoover dam and don't change their babies frequently :( My mom as a very long history of working in a daycare and now running her own and I've heard the stories and seen it with my own eyes. So many children have to be immediately changed upon arrival cause they are THAT soaked! :thumbsdown:

Exactly! I know people who only use 2-3-4 sposies in a whole day... because hey, it's added leak protection! The companies brag about how much liquid it can hold! But that doesn't mean you should let your child sit around in his/her own waste all day :thumbsdown:

amy919

Exactly! I know people who only use 2-3-4 sposies in a whole day... because hey, it's added leak protection! The companies brag about how much liquid it can hold! But that doesn't mean you should let your child sit around in his/her own waste all day :thumbsdown:

That's just crazy! Although, I do see kids dropped off at daycare obviously loaded. One mother is notorious for it. She claims that it's "just his time to go", says sorry and off she goes (still in her pajamas, mind you). It drives me insane. I have been known to turn around if I am still close to home and change my child if she poops in the car - and it's only a 15 minute ride to school. And if I am closer to school, I change her myself in her room as soon as I get there. I certainly wouldn't drop her off with a poopy diaper (while in my pajamas) and leave it for someone else to deal with. Ugh, people.

FWIW, I have never used cloth and never had a leak. But then again, I go through more than 3-4 diapers a day :rolleyes:.

skaterbabs

I can't tell you how many poo explosions I had with sposies. ........ We switched to cloth and have seen a world of difference! The only time I have ever had a leak was my fault because I put a diaper on my son that I KNEW was too big and could see the giant gap. What was I thinking?!?! LOL

Yep. Joy constantly leaked out of 'sposies, but the only cloth leak we ever had was a diaper that just plain didn't fit.:p

As for compression issues, we always saved the bulkier dipes for home/night use, but even the bulkiest (for a 6 hour car ride) didn't make that big a difference when paired with trim clothing. That said, I've found that denim of any kind takes up more space in the seat than even the frilliest, poofiest dress & diaper combo. Joy had on a denim skirt the other day and I had to loosen her harness. I put her in the next day in a frilly church dress and had to tighten it again. :rolleyes:

Calideedle

Now I can officially put in my 2cents to this question :whistle:

I had to use a sposie today on DD when I forgot an extra diaper and she decided to do #2 at the park :eek: (DS had to run to the bathroom too) Thankfully there was a little store next to it that had a pack of sposies. I haven't used them in YEARS and we did have a little pee leak (though I am not sure if I put them on right, lol)

ANYWAY, when I put DD back in her Car seat her straps where not as tight but they were defiantly not too loose.

So I don't think it is a prob :D

christineka

I just started a disposable diaper study. I did have to tighten the harness, but not too much. Ds wears fitted diapers these days. Once when he was a baby I put him in the car seat wearing a prefold and a wool cover. There was a gap between him and the harness. I'm sure that was not safe, so I saved the wool covers for night. I think when babies are teenier the diapers are bulkier- or maybe it is just prefolds because there is a lot extra.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC