Extended 5-point harness story

gwenvet

We were at our neighborhood association picnic last weekend and the citys 3yr old ladder fire truck came for a visit. We noticed that the 2 "passenger seats" immediately behind the driver, had 5 point harnesses! I commented to DS#1 that those were the "firemans seatbelts, to keep him safe in the fire engine, just like you have on your carseat". Unfortunately, a 5yr old (?) boasted "I don't have a carseat, I have a booster". :( I really wanted to say that firemen wear a 5 point because they know that it's safer, but I just couldnt trash his parents like that in front of him. Oh well, at least we can use this to explain to our kids why they should stay in a 5 point harness as long as possible.:)

ADS

mamato2

On our last airplane flight I noticed that when the 'seatbelt' sign was lit due to possible 'choppy air' the stewardesses bucked up with an extra harness type restraint. Not sure whether it was 4 point or 5 but it was more than the passengers had! Those that need to stay safe to help others do so with more than a 3 point belt. Seems as a mom I should have that extra protection too.
C.

lovinwaves

mamato2 said:
On our last airplane flight I noticed that when the 'seatbelt' sign was lit due to possible 'choppy air' the stewardesses bucked up with an extra harness type restraint. Not sure whether it was 4 point or 5 but it was more than the passengers had! Those that need to stay safe to help others do so with more than a 3 point belt. Seems as a mom I should have that extra protection too.
C.

LOL, boy is that true. I wonder if someday we will all have a 5point harness buckle in our cars. I wouldn't mind it now. Unfortunately, we are just now getting people to buckle up let alone put on a 5 point harness. I have a friend that NEVER EVER wore her seatbelt until her new car doesn't shut up beeping until she puts it on. It cracks me up!!! I tell her "HA HA" you have to wear your seatbelt. Coincidently she had her first serious accident a couple of months ago. Without her seatbelt I don't think she would have been able to walk away. I think she "GETS IT NOW"!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've seen that on firetrucks, but it never occurred to me to point it out to Piper.

Flight attendants also face the back of the plane. And yet I've had how many tell me I need to turn her forward? One said they only allowed it to 20 pounds and since Piper was 21 I was obviously going to kill her with her facing the rear. Sheesh. Flight attendants are generally car seat idiots.

Wendy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, they are -- Britax said Leila could ride RF even past the limit ... of course this is ONLY for while on the plane, not in cars :rolleyes: ;)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
lovinwaves said:
LOL, boy is that true. I wonder if someday we will all have a 5point harness buckle in our cars. I wouldn't mind it now.

Coincidently she had her first serious accident a couple of months ago. Without her seatbelt I don't think she would have been able to walk away. I think she "GETS IT NOW"!!

RE 5 pt.: I'd be fine with 5 pt. except for the occasional need (or desire) to wear a dress or skirt.;) :p

RE seatbelt: I'm grateful she had the chance to "get it." I have a friend who's now a widow. Her husband didn't get a second chance. Too many don't.:(

mamato2

Since I'm busy driving I really never noticed how many other drivers don't wear seat belts OR tuck the shoulder part behind them. My almost 5 yr old has begun to notice though, nothing else to do but look into others cars, LOL. She points it out everytime she sees it which is amazingly often!
C.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
gwenvet said:
We were at our neighborhood association picnic last weekend and the citys 3yr old ladder fire truck came for a visit. We noticed that the 2 "passenger seats" immediately behind the driver, had 5 point harnesses!

Just wondering, are you sure the "seat belts" weren't part of the harness for their air tanks? I've done the fire station tour for 4 times in 3 years and while they look like 5 pt harnesses, our tanker truck has the air tanks built into the seat backs and it's that harness that you see.

I've used the same example with kids (and parents) who love NASCAR. Those drivers DO use 5 point (or more) harnesses.

gwenvet

Hmmm...I was looking in from the door and there was a kid trying to buckle the 5 point, but when I think about it, the fireman said "that's our harness", so I don't know if he meant for the airtanks or for the seat. He must have heard me say 'look, it's just like in your car seat' and he saw the kid buckling himself in the seat and didn't correct him, but I'll have to come up with a way to find out. I do know that it was the new (3yr old) truck.

C

childrestraintsafety

I guess we're lucky here in comparison, it's a $150 fine if you don't wear your seatbelt, and although that doesn't make everyone wear their seatbelts, Its a very, very, very rare occasion I don't see someone wearing it!

Dillipop

There are fines here for not buckling up...unfortunately, police are not very good about pulling people over and ticketing them unless they are doing something else wrong.:(

Lys

Senior Community Member
In SC, not wearing your seat belt was considered a "scondary offense". Meaning a cop can't pull you over for just not wearing one. You have to be pulled over for something else first. This state also allows adults to ride motorcycles without helmets. :/
An for the fireman's 5 pt harness, I saw the firemen on the show "Rescue Me" wearing them recently and woke my husband up screaming about how cool it was :)

Dillipop

In Rhode Island it is a primary offense, I believe. However, I have NEVER heard of anyone getting pulled over for it or for having their children unbuckled.

skaterbabs

In VA an unrestrained driver is a secondary offense (meaning they can only be ticketed if they're pulled over for something else) but an unrestrained cild is a primary offense, and I *have* seen parents pulled for it, and know police officers who will do so.

markf1971

Senior Community Member
gwenvet said:
Hmmm...I was looking in from the door and there was a kid trying to buckle the 5 point, but when I think about it, the fireman said "that's our harness", so I don't know if he meant for the airtanks or for the seat. He must have heard me say 'look, it's just like in your car seat' and he saw the kid buckling himself in the seat and didn't correct him, but I'll have to come up with a way to find out. I do know that it was the new (3yr old) truck.

I am a fireman and I have never seen an apparatus (firetruck) with a 5pt hasness. I kind of doubt that what you saw was a 5 pt harness. What you saw was probably the harness for his SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus). We have to get on and off the engines in a hurry. The extra time that it takes to put on a 5 pt harness could delay us by several extra precious moments leaving the station. These moments could make a big difference for a patient trapped in a car or someone who has had a heart attack. We would also be slower getting out of the engine to respond. Seconds count when something is burning too. I hate to say this but it is true. Some of our guys don't even use the lap shoulder belts that are in the engines or they may tuck the shoulder belt under thier arm. Don't get me wrong 5pt harness are GREAT, but I don't think that they would be practical in a fire engine. I do ride rear facing when I am on the engine AND I always wear my 3pt lap shoulder belt. If we can't get everybody to follow policy and rules and buckle up, then I REALLY doubt that we could get folks to use a 5pt harness even if they were available.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I was going to agree, about the 5pt in fire trucks, my dh is a vollenteer ff and i've seen the trucks several times, including another local departments ladder truck and the 5pt are for the air packs... but the kids don't really need to know the differance

As for the police officers, my dh is one full time and he said it might be the law to wear a seat belt and have a child restrained till they are 8 years old, but the truth is they are usally to busy with other matters to worry about a persons lack of consern for them selfs or they own children to both with all the paper work for a $25 ticket... sad sad, but that's how it is around here, i will say that about once a month or so the state police will start pulling over tons of seat belt violators over to et a point across but it usally doesn't do much good... And that it usally takes someone getting killed or very seriously hurt to get the point across to people that their is this law for a reason, we are a rual commuinty and it's sad, but how it is sometimes.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
lovinwaves said:
I wonder if someday we will all have a 5point harness buckle in our cars. I wouldn't mind it now. Unfortunately, we are just now getting people to buckle up let alone put on a 5 point harness.

My father is putting 5-point harnesses in the antique truck he is restoring. He knows that the seatbelts/harnesses will void the perfect restoration idea, but he is doing it for safety. He said if he is going to drive the truck anywhere, he wants it to have harnesses. :) I am so happy!! :)

I understand the hesitation due to dresses/skirts. I wear a dress or skirt to work at least three days per week and I can see how a 5-point would make that difficult. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC