chest clips

U

Unregistered

I just had a quick question about chest clips. I've been looking at the new Graco seats, and the plastic of the chest clips seems "lighter" (i don't know how to describe!) than the clip on my current Century seat (clip seems more of a heavier solid plast ic). Does this make any difference in an accident?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Any type serves the purpose

The chest clip does not provide any protection during a crash. It's function is to help keep the harness straps positioned correctly over the shoulders and down the chest. Any type of chest clip should do this properly, though many parents find the "two-piece" types to be easier to use and harder for a child to release.

U

Unregistered

here's a question - can chest clips be swapped between seats then? I too agree the Graco clips are rather flimsy - would love a nice solid clip like the one on my Britax - can I harvest and reuse??

Mae

U

Unregistered

Mae---

I wouldn't suggest it. You can get a "hardier" clip for your type of carseat often at Toys R Us or Babies R Us, or by contacting the manufacturer. You should only use parts/add ons designed and tested for your specific seat.

HTH

bazanna

Senior Community Member
agreed that you should never swap between brands and even within a brand you should call the manufacturer and get their OK first.

U

Unregistered

I had called Graco a while ago about getting a replacement clip for a ComfortSport, and they said all the clips are the same.. so that was no help!

bazanna

Senior Community Member
if they all use the same clip within that brand then you are stuck with what comes with the seat. darren is right, though...the clip doesn't have any crash function. it's a positioning device that helps keep the harness straps in place before a crash happens. as long as the straps are where they are supposed to be and they are tightened properly, even if the clip breaks in the crash, it will have done it's job.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC