Looking for a HWH seat

Splash

Hello everyone. I have a favor to ask of the car seat universe.

I have a good friend who has ovarian cancer, among other things, and is unable to work. She's been denied SSI numerous times and they're barely getting by. People have been helping out with food and clothes, but she really needs a carseat for her 3 year old. They've been saving to get it, but...

The child is under forty pounds, but tall. She's not a good booster rider (they tried that) and they just don't have the money for a bigger seat right now.

I'm prepared to chip in to buy it, but I have a sick child of my own and huge medical bills, I can't foot the whole thing. I know a few other people who are willing to contribute a bit too. If this were for a smaller kid it wouldn't be an issue.

I was wondering if anyone out there had an older HWH seat they would be willing to part with cheap, or if anyone would like to chip in a few bucks to help me buy her one? I was thinking of getting her either a Radian or Apex, but I think an Apex will be too big in their vehicle. There is also the possibility of an EZ on harness with booster, depending on the price of everything.

If anyone has any other suggestions, PLEASE let me know!

Estelle

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The EZOn with RideRyte might be more expensive than the Apex & it is at least as big -- the base of the Apex being shaped to fit smaller seats better, IME....

*GOOD LUCK*

Splash

Okay, I don't know if I should get a Regent or Radian. She is at the top slots in her marathon. I thought she had more room to go, but no, she is right at the top. She is a TALL kid.
I know people get more room from the radian than the marathon, but how much more room? It's cheaper, but is it better just to go for the regent? she said she could fit it.

Dillipop

I would go straight for the regent. You might only get an inch or so more in the radian than the marathon, but with the regent, you get about 4 more inches. If it will fit and you can raise the funds, go for the regent (there are some patterns on sale online right now)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I couldn't see the price of the EZOn earlier, but it appears to be the least expensive option.... I don't remember if EZOn only allows it for use with lap belt or you can make it work with a shoulder belt (I never really looked into it!) -- it's not as comfortable or safe IMO as the Regent because the harness just sort of rests on top of the seat & the seat doesn't get *installed* & on some kids the big metal harness adjustments can press into the collar bones :eek: I really only suggest using this seat in the middle because it definitely lacks side impact protection.

SarahP

You might need to have medical proof -- but I have heard of stores donating things needed by families in similar situations. It might be worth a phone call or a tripto one of your local stores (or more) and see if one of them would be willing to donate a seat or give you a really good discount. Or perhaps the manufacturers -- They might use it for PR or for the tax incentive - But many of the bigger companies will do something to help.

Splash said:
Hello everyone. I have a favor to ask of the car seat universe.

I have a good friend who has ovarian cancer, among other things, and is unable to work. She's been denied SSI numerous times and they're barely getting by. People have been helping out with food and clothes, but she really needs a carseat for her 3 year old. They've been saving to get it, but...

The child is under forty pounds, but tall. She's not a good booster rider (they tried that) and they just don't have the money for a bigger seat right now.

I'm prepared to chip in to buy it, but I have a sick child of my own and huge medical bills, I can't foot the whole thing. I know a few other people who are willing to contribute a bit too. If this were for a smaller kid it wouldn't be an issue.

I was wondering if anyone out there had an older HWH seat they would be willing to part with cheap, or if anyone would like to chip in a few bucks to help me buy her one? I was thinking of getting her either a Radian or Apex, but I think an Apex will be too big in their vehicle. There is also the possibility of an EZ on harness with booster, depending on the price of everything.

If anyone has any other suggestions, PLEASE let me know!

Estelle

Splash

SarahP said:
You might need to have medical proof -- but I have heard of stores donating things needed by families in similar situations. It might be worth a phone call or a tripto one of your local stores (or more) and see if one of them would be willing to donate a seat or give you a really good discount. Or perhaps the manufacturers -- They might use it for PR or for the tax incentive - But many of the bigger companies will do something to help.

Tried that. Every response was "we get so many requests for fill in the blank, we can't possibly do anything to help you." Okay, fine. Business is business. I'll find a way to raise the funds. For some reason I was thinking the Regent was $200, not $250. Oh well.

Do you think they will come out with a Fisher Price Regent knockoff?

SarahP

Splash said:
Tried that. Every response was "we get so many requests for fill in the blank, we can't possibly do anything to help you." Okay, fine. Business is business. I'll find a way to raise the funds. For some reason I was thinking the Regent was $200, not $250. Oh well.

Do you think they will come out with a Fisher Price Regent knockoff?

I thought the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe WAS the Fisher Price Knockoff--- Also, I have seen the Regent Blue/Tan or Blue Floral whatever they call it depending on the store for $229 lately.
Let me check my other posts about the Fisher Price --- I was trying to decide between a few seats and the FP was mentioned....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC