Update

babychild taxi

Hi,

I'm the person who wrote a couple of weeks ago about trying to fit a booster (backless Turbo) and 2 carseats (Regal Rides) in the back of my 02 Echo. I do volunteer work with a child and also help out a young mom who has 3 kids in foster care. I'm from BC Canada.

I spoke with the carseat techs/insurance company and they told me I've done everything I can (bought narrow seats, done research, etc) but there is no way I'll be able to fit 3 seats across the back seat. Although it's not illegal (yet) here to use seat belt only on a child over 40 pounds, it's obviously not the safest. The chances of me taking all 3 kids at once is less than just taking the two older kids (or child I volunteer with), but because it's such a "grey area" safety/decision wise, I'm waiting to hear back from the social worker for a final decision (that I'd like in writing).

I'm thinking of buying a Parkway for when I just have 2 kids in the back. It loos like it will work well for larger children since it doesn't have arm rests.

Has anyone heard of/seen the new seat belt tool from Sunshine Kids? It's a new style adjuster called "Right Fit". What do you think? It looks quite different from the traditional seat belt adjusters and there is a link to the crash test data done on it. I know it's still an after market product, but I'm just curious what others think.

Thanks,
From BC Canada

ADS

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
I can't find the product you're referring to on SK's site, but I can tell you right now that it most likely has the same issues as other seatbelt adjusters. Most clip onto the lap belt to pull the shoulder belt down, but at the same time the shoulder belt pulls the lap belt up and onto the child's soft tummy. They also don't account for the child wanting to scoot forward so their legs don't stick straight out. They don't fix lap belt fit either since young children's pelvises simply aren't developed enough to accomodate a standard sized seat belt.

A Parkway would probably work for an older child very well, and especially since you're needing seats to "mesh". I use a PW with my soon-to-be 8 year old brother, who is very tall. He fits just fine. The TurboBoosters is a very wide booster and I've never been able to get it to nest against other seats well at all.

If it's any consolation, I was able to get three seats (RF Touriva, FF combo, booster) across the back seat of a Hyundai Accent, which is a very small car like yours. I think you'll have better luck once you're not fighting against that Turbo.

babychild taxi

Title Confusion

Hi-

Maybe I can get 3 seats across my car? Wow that would be great! I just looked at Sunshine Kids site and the item I'm referring to is called "Sure Fit" but in Canada or current pacakaging it's called "Right Angle". You can find it/picture on the 3rd page of car seat products. It does not pull up at the tummy area which makes it a newer and ?possibly safe? product.

I'm curious why car seat companies make so many after market products if they are not safe...??

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
babychild taxi said:
Hi-
I'm curious why car seat companies make so many after market products if they are not safe...??

The simple answer is that people buy them. The almighty dollar comes before a child's safety.

I still don't like the product in question. Even though it's designed to not pull the lap belt up, the pelvis of most small kids simply isn't big enough for a lap belt. There's not enough space for it and no add on product (aside from a booster) can fix it. Even the picture of the girl on the packaging has the lap belt too high.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC