New car with LATCH do we need new seats?

L

LBcork

New car with LATCH do we need new seats?

We just got a new 2003 car and I was all excited to use the LATCH system top and bottom, but only to find out out seat isn't compatible. I have a 3 year old and a 8 mo old. Should I invest and get new seats?

We do take them in and out once in a while.

I have to get at least a new one when the 8 mo old is 1 year so I'll have one tethered and one not. is it worth letting go of the old one ? for a new tethered one?

If so what ones on the market today are good? Is there a search engine on this forum, THis is great I'll tell all my friends about this!
Thanks
Lisa

ADS
R

Robert

Re: New car with LATCH do we need new seats?

Lisa, There's no reason to buy a new seat as long as the current one you have is not over 6 years old and has not been involved in a crash. For some child seats you can purchase a retrofit tether and latch kit. On occasion the latch equip child seat does not provide a proper fit depending on the child seat and vehicle so you then have to revert back to using the seat belts.
A tethered seat is better because the tether reduces the head excursion from 32" down to 28". In other words it reduces the amount of forward movement of your child's head form 4-6 inches in a crash.
As far as what is a good seat, that all depends on the type of vehicle you have and the seat you purchase. You can check the compatibility link at the top for some suggestions.

C

Caviller

Hi!

There is indeed a search function for the forums. It is a link in the black box near the top of the page.

In addition to what Robert said, please also visit our LATCH information page, linked under the top banner or here:

www.car-safety.org/latch.html

Darren

U

UlrikeDG

No, you don't *need* to get a LATCH compatible seat...

How easy is it for you to install your current seat? If it's not difficult for you to do, you may want to just stick with what you have. LATCH is *supposed* to make it easier to install seats. It doesn't always. If you'd like to replace your 3 year old's current seat anyway, then "upgrading" to a seat with LATCH does make sense in that it gives you more options (you can use either the LATCH anchors or the seatbelt). If installing your current seat with "just" the vehicle belt is a struggle, then it makes sense to look at the LATCH options. You could find one that is super easy to use in your vehicle and that fits your child nicely.

Whether you have a LATCh compatible seat or not, you should use the *top* tether for your front facing seat(s) whenever possible. Like Robert said, it reduces head excursion, which can reduce the chance of injury for your child(ren).

You said that you'll need to get a new seat for your 8 month old when he/she turns 1 year. Why is that? If he/she is still in an infant only/carrier style seat, he/she can use it until the weight limit is reached (usually 20 or 22 lb) or until the top of his/her head is within 1" of the top of the seat. At that point, you will need to move him/her to a rear facing convertible seat. He/she *must* remain rear facing until he/she is *both* 1 year old and at *least* 20-22 lb (depending on the seat). This is the bare minimum, and rear facing longer is safer. (See www.parentsplace.com/babi...76,00.html and www.cpsafety.com/articles...dedrf.aspx for more on why rear facing is best for toddlers and small children.) If you have not already moved your baby to a convertible seat and need help finding one that is right for you, please let us know. There are some key safety features to look for, as well as some nice convenience features to be aware of.

S

ssmith

LATCH

One thing to remember with LATCH is that installing a seat using the lower anchors is not necessarily safer or better than using seat belts. As long as car seats are installed correctly with seat belts, they are as safe as using LATCH. The advantage of LATCH is that sometimes it is easier to use than seat belts. If you can install the seats correctly using your seat belts, then I don't think you would need to spend the extra money on new seats or even a LATCH retrofit kit. However, if it is hard for you to install them well with a seat belt, then it might be worth it to buy new seats. If your seat didn't come with a tether strap (one manufactured before September 1, 1999), you can get one from most car seat manufacturers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC