Why tether? Stats please!

U

Unregistered

I need stats to satisfy some friends that I'm trying to convince to tether their carseats. One has tether anchors but says that she doesn't believe that they do anything and actually thinks that they cause injuries!

Please help!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have not seen statistics, sorry

The choice is up to the parent, of course. Restraints do meet minimum crash testing requirements without a top tether and may be used without one, except in Canada where they are required. Almost all seats do need the top tether to meet the stricter crash test standard. This reduction in head excursion should help reduce the risk of the child's head striking a part of the interior during a crash. Plus, top tethers also help improve
the installation.

bazanna

Senior Community Member
i love this picture, it's so illustrative

http://www.saferidenews.com/graphics/HeadExcursion.jpg

that pic shows what a forward facing child will endure in a frontal crash at a speed LESS than 35 mph. the first two lines indicate the difference (in head and torso movement) between untethered and tethered.

whenever i show people that picture, they ALWAYS want a tether.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
www.nhtsa.dot.gov has "compliance testing" of tons of restraints, but only up to model year 2001. Even a quick check proves that tethers can reduce head excursion by up to 8 inches (they all must be under 32 inches without the tether)...and as you can see from Bazanna's picture, there's still a LOT of forward movement, and the more forward movement there is, the more chance there is of the head striking the vehicle interior...which is how the most severe head and neck injuries occur.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss213/index.html

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC