RA RF Outboard install in 1999 Saturn SL2

jymarino

According to my Britax manual, the base of my DD seat shouldn’t be anything but level on the seat. The problem is that the dip in the backseat prevents that. As I’ve said b/4, we have it installed currently RF at a 45-degree angle, but the base is not level due to the car seat wedge used to install it by the tech. This wedge is too big to make the seat base be level with the next RF install at less than 45-degrees, so should I use a rolled up towel or swim noodle? I know the best place for the seat is in the center, but then having a passenger in the back is extremely difficult. Thanks in advance for your input! :)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The manual's not very clear, is it? "If you have a problem stabilizing your child seat, use a rolled towel in the crease of the seat to help level the child seat base.
CAUTION: DO NOT raise the base beyond horizontal or off of the vehicle seat; this could reduce protection for your child"

Personally, even my flat minivan seats tend to have a dip in them, and I go with the horizontal rule....I get the seat parallel to the ground, with the seat good and tight, and then tether it to the leg of the front seat (note to those reading: ONLY Britax and the Sit n Sroll convertibles can be tethered rearfacing)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
One other option-

I think the intent of the manual is not to tilt it back so far that it is beyond level with the front of the carseat base (at the child's feet) higher than the back. Obviously, in some vehicles, there is no way to avoid a slope going downward toward the seat back.

Like Julie said, I suggest you use the rear-facing tether to get the appropriate recline, rather than a towel or noodle. I had a RA in a 1999 SL2 tethered under the seat in front, though I don't recall exactly where I tethered it.

jymarino

Just to clarify what you and Julie are saying to see if I understand correctly. Currently the way the last tech installed the seat, the base is being lifted by a "noodle" type wedge, which is not how the seat should be installed, and this is primarily how they achieved the 45-degree angle. The seat should be installed w/o a noodle or towel, although this means the front of the base will dip down toward the back of the car and will not be horizontal as the instructions indicate it should be. When the instructions say "horizontal" they mean horizontal to the frame of the car, right? I am kind of unclear on what to do at this point. What it sounds like you're saying is that if the seat is reinstalled, it should be w/o a noodle or towel, with the seat reclined, and using the tether to achieve the correct angle. I do have the seat tethered now to the part of the front seat which is bolted to the floor, but NOT the part of the seat that moves. Am I understanding all of this correctly? If not, can you please clarify what I have misunderstood. Thanks as always for your help.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I think you have it-

The noodle is optional on a Britax convertible. If you use the tether to get the recline, you may use the noodle to "fill up" any gap. The main thing to avoid is reclining so much that the front of the base is angled up toward the back of the car.

It sounds like yours may be installed just fine. The techs were not incorrect to use the noodle, though it is preferred to try the tether first for recline adjustments on the Britax models.

For what it's worth, here is a photo of our RA at the bottom of this page:

http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

You can see the base is angled down slightly toward the back of the car, and the overall angle of the seat is perhaps 30 degrees or so.

jymarino

Thanks, the pictures help a lot. I was thinking that "horizontal" meant the seat base s/b at a 90-degree angle and couldn't angle down at all in front. I think part of my difficulty is finding techs in my area who are familiar with Britax seats, one had never even heard of them and then installed my DD seat where she was almost laying completely flat! At least if I am informed, I can help them be better informed. Thanks again and have a good day!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
No problem!

Just to clarify, I think the key word in the manual is BEYOND horizontal. You can raise the front of the base enough to get up to the 45 degree maximum recline for newborns, but not more than that. Less is OK, and is a fact of life in many vehicles.

Thanks for asking!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC