Toyota Sienna tether anchor

L

leslie

Toyota Sienna tether anchor

I'm about to pick up my 2003 Toyota Sienna and I just found out that there's no tether anchor for the middle seat, behind the passenger. I spoke to the dealer and to Toyota customer service, and they all told me they cannot install one. Does anyone know anything about this? I have two children in car seats and do not want to have to put a child all the way in the back.

ADS
L

leslie

what now?

darren,

Thanks so much for your help. I checked out the link but it says quite clearly that Toyota does not want customers adding a tether anchor at that seat. Do you know why? I have called everywhere I know (including AAA, safeny, safekids national and local, and several police precincts) and they all tell me the same thing - if Toyota tells you not to install the tether anchor I shouldn't install it. I am picking up the car tomorrow and going to the police precinct on Saturday to check that my car seats are installed tightly. But I'm still not thrilled.

Should I install the tether anchor anyway? And if so, who can install it? So far I haven't had any luck finding someone who will.

C

Caviller

You would have to install it yourself if you do it at all...

I don't know the reason, so I would agree that you probably shouldn't do it.

Perhaps Heather (the author of the webpage) can provide you some more information the next time she visits:)

Darren

M

murphydog77

Re: what now?

Hello. All I know is what Toyota told me (I included it as a footnote at the bottom of that web page). I have heard from two very knowledgeable child passenger safety technicians who have installed an anchor in that position in their Siennas and they felt comfortable with it. I'm still waffling on the decision myself, though I have a while before I need to make that decision. I may end up taking that captain's chair out and putting one child in the 3rd row.

I got the feeling that I wasn't being told everything by Toyota when I asked, but I certainly don't want to second-guess them on their product. It's a bad spot Toyota has put us in and right now, I think it's a "parental decision" whether or not to put an anchor there if the welded nut is there.

Heather

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC