rear seatbelts in 1993 Subaru Legacy

U

Unregistered

OK, so this is a REALLY weird question. Can you tell me how to find out whether a 1993 Subaru Legacy would have shoulder harness seat belts in the rear seats? We are going to go stay with my grandparents, and they have a 1993 Subaru Legacy.

I'm trying to figure out which booster seat to bring for my son - if they have rear shoulder harnesses, I'll bring my shiny new Britax Parkway. Otherwise, I should bring the Britax Laptop.

I hunted around on the web a little, and can't seem to find this info.

Thanks!
Anna

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think they do have shoulder harnesses. Look at this photo.

nRT8t0j0xtIigEQyPlpcxYRwS6Tz.jpg

Wendy

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
IIRC, by the 1993 model year, and probably even a few years earlier, cars sold in the U.S. were required to have rear outboard shoulder belts. There probably is a lap only belt in the middle seating position though, especially if it's a Legacy wagon rather than a sedan. You could also check the online carseat compatibility database at (Carseat Data website closed - link broken) to see if there are entries for the '93 Legacy and what carseats may fit in it.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Yes, has subaru put shoulder belts in the rear seats of their cars since 1990 as they attempted to change their product line to a luxury line and they wanted to surpass Volvo in safety. (i own the only luxury Subaru they ever produced in the attempt and am a bit of a subi freak :D )

Be aware the belt stauk in the rear will be much longer than in other makes, dont think it will matter in a booster but be aware none the less.

Dillipop

Our 91 has lap-shoulder in the 2 outboard positions. Lap only in the middle. The female stalk is really long, especially in the center, just so you know.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC