3 seats in a Grand AM

2nd

Has anyone tired or know if 3 seats will fit in a '02 Grand Am.
Long story short we can't buy a bigger (or another ) car b/c we are still paying on this one. I really want one more child but it all comes down to whether we can fit another kid in our car.

I have a almost 4 yr old and he is 35 lbs and 41? inches tall (maybe a little taller now) and he is in a Radian. I also have a 18 mos old that is in a Graco Comfort Sport ('05 model). I had my DH try to see if a Graco snugride would fit with or without the base in the middle and it wouldn't fit.

Does anyone know if I got another Radian for my 18 mos old they all would fit?
This sounds dumb I know but if I can't get 3 seats to work then we are done with kids (which really makes me sad)

ADS

mish

I have an 02 Grand Am! I can fit three across. I have done an Evenflo Big Kid high back, a clek low back and a snug ride with no base easily several times. I can also do the Nautilus, which is pretty big, a clek and a snugride. I haven't tried a Radian, but I really think you can get three across in your vehicle. I think if you got a Radian for the 18 mth old you would have no problem. If you need, I can try a comfortsport (my friend has one), a nautilus and the snugride. If I can fit all three of those, you should have no problems. Is the 18 mth old RF or FF? Also, you might try moving another seat in the middle and putting the snugride on the outside.

2nd

Thanks Mish-You made my day and gave me hope.

What way did you get all your seats to fit?

I was thinking about getting a Nautilus for my 4 yr old but isnt it bigger than the Radian? I am trying to get the best for my money. If I got a Nautilus then by 4 yr wouldn't need another seat. If I buy another Radian then in a year I would have to get another seat for my 4 yr if he keeps getting taller.

I just want something to work b/c as silly as it sounds if I can't get 3 seats to work DH says we can't have another kid b/c we can afford another car right now. #3 will be it but I don't want to wait another 2 yrs when car is paid off.

My 18 mos if FF (not the safest I know).

Last edited:

mish

Honestly, I wouldn't get a Nautilus in your situation. I have one and love it, but I don't have to do three across very often. I only do it when my niece is with me. I can't remember all of the combinations I've gotten for three across, but I know I have used a lot of seats. I think I have always had one booster though. I don't know if I have ever done three harnessed seats.

If I were you, I would get another Radian. You might have to buy another seat in a year, but you probably won't. How long is your son's torso? My seven year old only has a 17 inch torso, and he is pretty tall.

Did you try the snugride with the base, or without? It will usually fit better without the base in a three across (this is in my experience, others might have found things to be different). Also, I really think you should give putting it on the outside a try. If you can put it on the outside with room to spare, you might be able to give the 18 mth old the Radian, get a Nautilus for the 4 yr old, and use the snugride.

Good luck, and like I said, I have access to several seats that I can play around with for you. I don't have a Radian though.

2nd

My DH only tried the snugride in the middle of the two seats, but he did try with and without the base and it didn't work. I also forgot to add we have both seats used with the latch. Is it true you get more room if you don't use latch? I do like using the latch feature b/c the seats seem more secure. I didn't have him try in other ways it was later in the day. I will one day have to play around with them all.

My 4 yr old's torso (if I measured correctly) is 15 and 14 1/2 doing legs straight and crossed with back against wall.

I sooooo appreciate all your help :): Thanks.

Like I said you have given me hope. I know one place here will let you take car seats out and try it, They don't have a Nautilus but they sell Radians so maybe I will have to try it out.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would totally try different combinations. Are both your current carseats ff? Some ideas to try: SN, Radian, and Comfortsport. SN, comfortsport, radian. I bet you will find a situation that works.

2nd

Thanks Stefanie.

Yes both of the carseats are FF.

Has anyone been successful using the base with snugride adding the two other seats?

I will have to try it on the weekend when my DH can watch the kiddo's.

I spoke with my DH at work and said 3 seats can work-so another baby is possible. ;)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I've done several combinations of 3 across in my Grandpa's Grand Am (most of them involved a Britax Laptop, which is not known for being particularly friendly for 3 across) His is a 2 door so I imagine a 4 door would be much easier.

Assure your DH that 3 across IS possible. B the time a new baby would arrive there will be new seats out to play with so you'll have even more possibilities.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC