convertible or combo booster?

U

Unregistered

We are looking to buy another seat for our 2 year old. She is currently in a Fisher Price Safe Embrace rf, but her head is one inch below the top. Based on what we've read, she should now be forward facing. She is small for her age so we would like to keep her rf if possible. Are we wasting our time looking for another convertible? In other words, if she needs to be ff in the Fisher Price, wouldn't she need to be ff in another type of convertible? Should we be looking at combo boosters instead since she weighs only 23 pounds?

thanks.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If you want to keep her rearfacing longer, the Britax Marathon has a VERY tall back...my 40 inch, 3.5 yo dd fits comfortably rearfacing http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/joolstag...g/vwp?.dir=/Car+Seats&.dnm=Airway.jpg&.src=ph And when you're ready for her to forward face, the Marathon is still an excellent choice, because the top harness slots are very tall, and the upper weight limit is 65 pounds.
Given that she's two and somewhat petite, though, a forward facing harnessed booster/combo seat would be a fine choice...see the bottom half of this page http://www.car-safety.org/carseats.html for several of the more-recommended harnessed boosters, the ones with high harness slots and front adjusters. My personal pick is the Graco Ultra Cargo from Target...it has exceptionally good padding, and thick non-twist straps (like the FPSE) with a very smooth adjuster.
Hope that helps a little,

bazanna

Senior Community Member
julie.........i looked at your pic and i'm wondering about the HUGS placement.....i know she is rf in that pic and i understand that the HUGS is ok not to use reafacing so maybe it's a moot point...but is that the right placement, in your pic? i thought it was supposed to go up higher on the harness, near the neck...?

i ask because we are fumbling a bit with dd's HUGS system on our new husky, it seems like no matter how tight i have the harness (i have it so i can just *barely* get it buckled in the crotch), the HUGS slides down almost immediately upon departure. i have been watching, i don't think it's dd sliding it down, it just seems to do that with her wiggling (good thing i got her a husky instead of going to bpb!). will it accomplish anything down low like that? i thought it was supposed to be by the neck area but i'll be darned if i can keep it there.....

:confused:

ok sorry to hijack the thread LOL

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It's my understanding that the HUGS can be anywhere on the straps as long as the chest clip is properly positioned.

U

Unregistered

Thanks Julie!

That was helpful. We are considering the Marathon, but the price is what is holding us back a little. However, as soon as my husband reads what you wrote, I think the Marathon has "won". He wants to keep her rf. I have read a lot on the subject, but what is HUGS?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks, Ulrike! Yup, they can be anywhere as long as the chest clip is at the armpits...so don't fret about keeping them up (those pokey ends can be annoying, imo! lol).
HUGS are sort of soft, rubbery pads that go on the harness and help reduce head excursion and "rope burns" on the neck from the harness in a crash...they are weird to get used to at first, but soon become second-nature to deal with.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC