Good News!

LEAW

The hospital provides everything baby needs to wear (shirts, hats, mitts, blankets) adn you only need a going home outfit. As for what to wear home, I wore home my high belly maternity pants, they stayed up just fine and were very comfy.

FWIW almost all of the hospital grade pumps on ebay are stolen by renters who never return them or NICU moms who take them home. You might consider contacting the manufacturer w/the serial number to find out. You will be hard pressed to find replacement parts if something happens to the pump w/o being registered w/the manu.

Your health ins. will likely cover the rental cost of a pump if babies are in the NICU and for when they go home for the first year. The ins companies (you might have to argue with them a bit) realize that breastfed preemies go home earlier and remain healthier w/breastmilk during the first year and it's a lot less to them to rent a pump than pay for NICU and repeat hospital visits.

ADS

Simplysomething

Hairbrush!

Yeah, there is a lot to remember to bring to the hospital...something I forgot both times was a freakin hairbrush. My hair is long (I hate it, but when I cut it, it looks bad, and when I get enough money to pay for it to be cut, I use it on my boys. lol)...and it was a tangled mess after a day of no brushing... It sounds like somehing you'd not forgot, but I managed to, twice. lol

All I'm saying about school, is even if your school is lenient, you might not be up to it mentally (or physically, our bodies will put up with a lot, but it will let us know) Even if it is a scholarship, I'd wait. But that's just me.

As far as the carseats, well, you know the drill. They all pass the minimum safety standards, yadda yadda yadda.

ccjones

And don't forget comfy shoes like sandals in case you ankles and feet are still swollen!
Edited at add: Yes, definitely preemie clothes, my 4-pounder was just over 3 months old before he moved into NB and 0-3 months clothes. And just use the hospital's preemie Pampers, and maybe even stuff a few in your bag for home in case the cloth dipes don't work out. I had to buy preemie diapers for about 3 months and the only place that sold them around me was BRU and it was $5.99 for a pack of 20! I'd go through a pack in 2-3 days! :eek:

Ladies, I had to laugh when I read the comments about clothes to wear home from the hospital. Some of the nurses were jealous and made a few snotty remarks because I wore home size 6 jeans, which is one size larger than my usual size 4! LOL I did have to wear medium-sized shirts because of my bigger boobs and nursing bras. And I had to wear maternity shorts for a few weeks, though, simply because my hips had spread. Fortunately after about 2-3 months, my hips went back down and I was able to fit back into my old wardrobe.

I am curious - Was anyone else like this, or was I one of the lucky few?!

Colleen

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It took me a month or two to fit back into any type of shorts/pants/jeans with a zipper after both of my babies arrived, mainly due to the change in hip size. I was able to wear most of my regular shirts and non-maternity knit shorts, pants/sweats with elastic waistbands throughout both pregnancies. I only wore maternity clothing if I needed to dress up and couldn't squeeze into a regular blouse, dress or skirt with buttons and zippers. I'm broad shouldered and long torsoed, so my regular clothing has to compensate for this physique and lended itself to pregnancy pretty well. With my long torso, the babies also had extra room to grow without bulging outward so much. They weren't huge babies to begin with either.

And the shoes thing, definitely plan for swollen feet. I learned that the hard way when I couldn't fit back into the slip on loafers I had hastily put on during our mad scramble to get to the hospital with an unusually precipitous first labor. I had to wear them like they were mule style shoes with my heels hanging over the back edge until I got back home. Pack a bigger pair of flip flops or something comfy at least a size bigger than what you usually wear. For my second baby, I wore a pair of comfy mocassins one size bigger that have laces that adjust the snugness, and they worked out really great. I still wear those mocassins even though they're oversized for me now because they're so comfy.

super_grape

DOS,
With my first DD I wore home what I came to the hospital in
because the clothes I brought to wear were too constricting
and I felt so warm in them...even in November...in Canada, lol!
It was a non maternity stretchy dress, I wore it thru both pregnancies
and still wear it now:) and the neck is stretchy so I wear it alot
w/a thin button up sweater I got from Old Navy and I can nurse
just about anywhere.
For my second I brought a nursing shirt at Motherhood that was
a nice flattering but loose style - kinda like this:
http://www.motherhoodnursing.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=14192002&Category_Id=2002
I wore that home with a pair of fold down panel pants like these:
http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=12942&pid=350512
These were great for the first few weeks after the baby came, very
comfy and they didn't look like baggy maternity pants.

For both my DD's I bought the smallest newborn size clothes at the Gap,
"up to 7 lbs", Katie wore them until she was 2 months old and Allie
until she was about 3-4 weeks old. I especially liked their gowns, they were great for the hospital and made nite time diaper changes easier (who
wants to mess with 47 snaps at 2 am:p )and they weren't too baggy
like a lot of newborn gowns.
Also, from time to time, Old Navy has packs of 3 cotton knit receiving blankets that are GREAT! I can still swaddle my Chubby Chubbers in them
at 17.5 pounds...minus her feet, lol!

HTH!
Holly

Simplysomething

My youngest is 15 months old and I've just now got back into the size I was before I had him. lol I'll never be the same size I was before I had my first, but that's okay. I gained, what, 60 lbs with the first, and 60 with the second. lol
(I didn't keep all 60...from my first I kept 15. Which was a fine normal weight for my height. lol So I weigh 20 lbs more than I did at 21, but at 21, I was only 115. lol)
But I've noticed after having the youngest, it's now HARD to shop for jeans that fit around my waist. 8, 9, 10, 12, 14...what fits? it's no fun. LOL

super_grape

Ok, I just went back and read all the posts and
I guess I said pretty much the same thing Rebeckah
said, lol!

I think I'll go have that second cup of coffee now.....

skaterbabs

I didn't fit into my old clothes right away, but within two weeks I was out of maternity clothes and wearing the oversized (10/12) jeans I'd bought off ebay for that purpose. Unfortunately, less than two months later they were too big. lol I was easily back into my old clothes by three months. Not typical, but that was pretty much my expierience with all three kids. CJ took longest, but I gained the most weight with him. (60+ lbs vs 45 with Gregory & Joyjoy.)

Michi

I agree on the stretchy dress idea posted above!

I had a c-section with my first and a dress was so much more comfortable than pants. ( I didn't want ANY pressure on my abdomen!)
Plus - You'll look nice in all of those 'going home photos.' -
Not that you'll really care at the time being.....because you will be so exhausted, sore, and deleriously happy all at the same time.

I also forgot my hairbrush - AND my toothbrush!
Thankfully DH was able to run to the hospital gift shop and buy me a spare!

ccjones

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I gained about 25 lbs when I was pregnant with Jeremy. So, I was a healthy weight (about 145 lbs), but not huge. I have always been around 120 lbs for the past 10-12 years or so, but now I am about 112 lbs, and I can't figure out why....I'm eating the same, exercising less, but maybe I'm burning more calories chasing after an almost one-year-old?! LOL

As for shoes, I didn't even HAVE a pair of shoes to wear home from the hospital. In the chaos from moving from L&D room to post-partum room, my flip-flops got shoved in the dirty clothes bag, which DH took home when he checked on the dogs. We didn't realize this until I was getting in the wheelchair and I had to go barefoot. I was pretty embarrassed...I felt like a rag-a-muffin! LOL

Also, I would bring, or at least ask for, some ear plugs...that way you can TRY to get some sleep the first night or two after the birth!

Colleen

LovinMyBabies

blue_nova said:
I don't think you can do that...... that would be kinda like nipple stimulation which is a natural way to produce a pitocin(sp?) like chemical...... maybe causing pre-term labor.....just my 2 cents....

I'm 23 weeks pregnant and my son is still breastfeeding. The only way it can induce labor is if your body is ready for the baby to be born.

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
Its perfectly safe to nurse while pregnant as long as its is not a high risk pregnancy.

What the concern was is she is high risk pregnant with twins and mentioned pumping.

scatterbunny

Exactly, Rachel. I asked for clarification because I wasn't sure if I understood her post correctly. She is pregnant with twins, was on bedrest, doctor is talking about induction (for who knows WHAT reason), and from what I understand that's not a great situation to be pumping.

vamom

As I read the posts I thought of the tanks that I bought for nursing. I could not afford a whole new wardrobe, so I bought 1-2 nursing tops and 2-3 nursing tanks that I wore under other outfits. I got the tanks for 5-6$ at baby depot, they were by lansinoh I think. Basically they were a cream tank with a slit placed so baby could nurse without me having to pull my clothes up. I utilized all the button down shirts/sweaters that I had. They had different slit placements, - 1 vertical in the middle, and then , I believe the others had a horizontal slit. Anyway, they were great, and I wore them all the time.
My guy was 6#6oz and barely fit in the preemie clothes that I took. I really liked gowns, and as mentioned before very easy at night, also my guy was a big kicker and his legs would come out of sleeper holes all the time, but not the gowns. I wore home what I wore to the hospital, my favorite outfit. It was nice to have loose clothes to wear home! Don't forget a nursing gown - I hated the hospital gown.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
First, I want to offer a supportive cheer to DOS for good news :)

Second, I don't want to offend anyone, but I just have better things to do than worry about the validity of someone's stories -- hopefully there will be no further drama as we all focus on the importance of taking information that helps us & ignoring what doesn't hurt us.... I'm not sure if there's anything said here that's harmful, but I would like to come back & touch on some of the pregnancy/birthing/parenting stuff from the perspective of knowing obstetrics pretty well now with my fiance being an OB & as a Doula/Lactation Consultant as soon as I get a chance :eek: ;)

PEACE

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Wow! I hadnt even thought to pack my hairbrush or pick out shoes! I dont think i have enough receiving blankets packed (i bought cheapo ones to use in the hospital, i think i need to get another set)

My pump is from the black market, its from a company that quit renting them out so they sold them. It checked out fine when i registered it. I didnt know that there was a black market for pumps!

Missy, i'm sorry about calling you mel! My cousin is named missy and is the biggest tramp i've ever met so calling someone missy is weird for me without thinking of her. :) But She's got to be better than the ex.

I transferred my registration to my SIL today. She's thinking of joining the forum! I still want to go but priorities.

Simplysomething

You won't need any receiving blankets at the hospital. And probably they won't do cloth either. Every thing you need for the first bit, they'll have at the hospital, diapers, tee-shirts, etc. And definitely receiving blankets... You'll have your breasts...most babies don't need much when they first come out. lol

Like has been mentioned already, all you need for the babies are coming home outfits.

If they have an extended stay, then you might need to bring other stuff, but the other posters have already gone over that.

LovinMyBabies

pablomichi said:
Also, I just wanted to issue a word of warning
Used breast pumps - like used car seats, are often not such a good idea........
http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps.shtml

Pumps from rental places are actually made for more than one user, which is totally safe. It's designed so milk can't get anywhere in the machine. WHen you use a renter pump, you need to get new tubing, and accessories though. But a pump you purchase from a store is a single user pump and can be dangerous.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I brought cloth to the birthing center. They looked at me a little funny, but we put cloth on her bum from the get go. Good thing, too. Three days later when we were out of clean diapers (my idea that a diaper service would take care of everything obviously was naive) we put a Huggies on her and she turned as red as a lobster.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC