Questions concerning Britax Expressway with Rigid LATCH&quot

T

TIGGYRN

Questions concerning Britax Expressway with Rigid LATCH&quot

Is the Expressway with rigid LATCH and "Pivot Link" safer than a regular LATCH seat used WITH a tether or lap/shoulder belt used with a tether?

Would the Expressway have less forward head movement and chest load if used with a tether? Neither of the pictures on the Britax news site shows the seat used with a tether.

Also, the ad blurb on the Britax site about this seat says it has different recline positions. Can you use the tether in a reclined position like you can in the RA? Is this like the RA in that you recline the seat and then tether and it stays that way until you reinstall the seat or is it recline on the fly? Hom many different reclines does the seat have?

MY DD is a skinny beanpole so I am not worried about the weight issue of only 40 lbs (she is 21mo 24lbs and 34 inches) compared to 60 in the Marathon. I am kinda concerned about the height issue so that is why I want to know about the safety of rigid LATCH and a tether vs. regular LATCH or shoulder/lap belt with a tether.

I am comparing Expressway with rigid LATCH, another Roundabout with LATCH, Marthon, another no LATCH Roundabout or a MaxiCosiPriori (which of course has no LATCH).

We will me in the market for a new seat in the next year or so (we are trying to get pregnant) or maybe sooner (we may adopt cousin's baby if she doesn't get her act together and start caring for him).

Sherry and Katie (21 mo in a tethered FF RA)

ADS
C

Caviller

Re: Questions concerning Britax Expressway with Rigid LATCH&

I have had little success getting any information on this model, and have not seen one in person except for the very similar Britax Romer DUO Isofix version sold in Europe.

I do not know for sure, but it would not surprise me if there was a bit less head excursion in a rigid LATCH seat. This graphic is interesting, but should be treated like any marketing material produced by any manufacturer:

www.britax-roemer.de/en_isofix.html

www.britax-roemer.de/prod...e=aeb&id=5

Heres is a post from a Ford employee about their tests:

groups.yahoo.com/group/CP...ssage/1016

And a response:

groups.yahoo.com/group/CP...ssage/1027

Even it is the case that crash test measures are improved for rigid LATCH seats, it is hard to say if that would be a meaningful reduction in the risk of injury compared to a properly used model with flexible LATCH or even a proper installation with seatbelt and tether. Just about any properly used 5-point child restraint that meets current standards is going to provide very good protection for your child.

It is unclear to me whether the Romer model has a tether in Europe. Perhaps Ulrike might know... It would be interesting to know how their results compare with and without the tether, since their literature does give the impression that the performance might be very good even without a tether. I would also like to know what the owner's manual says:)

I think your daughter will be very safe in any of the options you list, as well as many others that are on the market.

All that said, I do really like rigid LATCH systems for ease of installation. All three models I've used installed tightly in 15 seconds or less. Granted two of those were on test benches...

Darren

C

Caviller

Tether is always recommended-

From the manual:

"Britax recommends that the tether be used at all times. Using the tether will improve the stability of your child restraint and reduce the risk of injury"

The manual gives no other technical details.

Darren

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC