Wendy

Longhorn Lady

I see you changed your signature to say that Piper is RF again?! Is that because of the belt stalk issues? (BTW: I have those too :mad: ) If so, how is she liking it?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She is, as of last night. Because of the stalk. I'm happy to have her RFing again for the safety reasons, for the ice breaker value, and because now I know her install is perfect. :) The buckle is flat against the seat, not bent anywhere, the stalk is twisted three times, not six (I couldn't get the male end twisted 180 degrees by myself though), plus she's RFing. I have better vision out my rear now because her seat is lower.

When she saw it this morning she said she didn't like being backwards, but I explained to her that her seat hadn't been safe the way it was and that this was the way to make it safe and that was it, she was sold. She's a big safety freak (she's been known to say that boosters aren't safe at all, which isn't 100% true, but I'll let her believe it until she's 4'9" or 65 pounds. LOL) so when I told her she hadn't been safe and now she was, she liked that a lot. Plus I took a lot of time to make sure the install was not only right, but it was easier than when she was RFing a couple of weeks ago. I pulled the tether so much lower, so I can see out the back better, and she's closer to my seat so it's easier to hear her and hand her stuff. I'm thrilled.

I should take more pictures. :)

Wendy

Splash

Yay!
Why did you turn her FF the first time? Not trying to be rude or nosy, I'm just wondering. I wondered when I saw her picture in the RF album on cpsafety... took me awhile to realize that THIS was that Piper!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know exactly why. I think we all wanted a change of scenery. She was light, but still 2.5 years old, so here is the only place where I feel I turned her too soon. Plus she wanted to see what was going on and we both got frustrated when I couldn't describe for her where to look for something, and she wanted to see it (like this morning we passed a small accident, so instead of telling her to look to the left I had to tell her to look out my side, and that confused her and she couldn't see it and was a bit frustrated). Plus it's harder to hand her stuff when she's RFing, though I got the seat in better this time so that's easier.

I like having her RFing, though. I miss being able to see her face while we drive, see what she's doing. She is always doing silly and cute things with her hands and toys in the car and would always say, "Mommy, look what I'm doing" and I had the mirror set up so that I could flip it down and see her and still see the reflections of the cars behind us, so it was safe to watch as much as I could.

This makes me want to get a quieter car, though, it's hard to hear her over the engine and road noise of the Xterra.

Wendy

Splash

I understand that. Though I don't want Charlie RF now or anytime soon, I also get the 'change of scenery' thing. I think that's why I want to move him out of his safeseat and into another Boulevard. Not for any real safety reason, not because he's too big for the SS (though he's close) or that he's unhappy in it.... I just want something new!
I'm glad Piper is RF again and doesn't mind it. My car is great for RF. It's an Aztek, so it has those enormous rear windows that go really low (it's like a greenhouse in the back of my car) and there is no headrest in the middle seat, so he can see over the top of the seat and see everything behind us.
Unfortunately in the van all he can see it the seat. Once we move to his BV he'll be able to see a bit more, but not much. At least he doesn't get bored.
I know I mentioned the Saturn Vue to you the other day as having LATCH in all three positions... it is also REALLY quiet. Very little road or engine noise. And EASY to install and tether a RF seat.

skipspin

Yeah, the VUE is a little like the Aztek really, at least I thought so. I'm not a big fan of the exterior of the Aztek, but I saw inside one in a showroom and actually liked it!

We had the same problem hearing DD in our Jeep and so turned her FF a month or two ago. She would tell us she had to go potty and we couldn't hear her and then she would cry 45 minutes later when she couldn't hold it anymore and wet :-( Besides, she's 32 lb, so pretty close anyway. Funny thing is, now she asks to sit backwards again. I guess there is no easy answer!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper can see out the back, our back is like yours, no middle headrest and big piece of glass in the back, plus windows in the trunk. But we can't see the same thing and so I can't comment on things she can see and I can't see what she comments on too much.

Seems most of the cars that have latch for three in the back are American. I prefer an import, but I may end up American next time.

Here are some pictures of her from today!

piperrfing06130601.jpg

piperrfing06130602.jpg

piperrfing06130603.jpg

Wendy

Splash

She looks like she's driving in the second one!
Why do you want anchors in the middle so bad? I mean, it's NICE, but I don't think I would go with a car I didn't like just to get it. Tether bolts, sure, but not anchors. Since you can tether the middle seat in your Xterra, what is it that you don't like? Is it just because of those horrendous stalks?
My car has anchors in the outboard positions and tether bolts in all three. The middle is a lap only belt for car seats and a three point belt for people (the shoulder comes down from the ceiling and attaches to the latchplate on the lap part. So it's a lapbelt with a sliding latchplate, super easy for carseats).
If you could find a vehicle with tether bolts for all three rear positions, and anchors for two and a short, carseat friendly stalk 3 point belt in the center, would you consider that? I know Piper won't weigh 48 pounds until Junior High, but still... :)

scatterbunny

I explained to her that her seat hadn't been safe the way it was and that this was the way to make it safe and that was it, she was sold.

This always works with Hayley, too! :p

Piper looks great in her RF seat, I wish Hayley could RF, I know she'd love it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Splash said:
She looks like she's driving in the second one!
Why do you want anchors in the middle so bad? I mean, it's NICE, but I don't think I would go with a car I didn't like just to get it. Tether bolts, sure, but not anchors. Since you can tether the middle seat in your Xterra, what is it that you don't like? Is it just because of those horrendous stalks?
My car has anchors in the outboard positions and tether bolts in all three. The middle is a lap only belt for car seats and a three point belt for people (the shoulder comes down from the ceiling and attaches to the latchplate on the lap part. So it's a lapbelt with a sliding latchplate, super easy for carseats).
If you could find a vehicle with tether bolts for all three rear positions, and anchors for two and a short, carseat friendly stalk 3 point belt in the center, would you consider that? I know Piper won't weigh 48 pounds until Junior High, but still... :)

LATCH in all three would be ideal, but a tether is required. I crossed the CX-7 off my list because it didn't even have a middle tether.

My IDEAL vehicle would be a manual transmission SUV with LATCH in all positions, DVD player, navigation system, four wheel drive, sunroof, and third row seating. LOL Oh, and $30k or less.

Wendy

Splash

Wow. Don't want much, do you?
The Vue has (or can have) all of that except the third row.
You sure need a lot of room for a one kid family! ;)
I am researching cars now... because I'm bored. I'll let you know.

Oh! The Mazda 5 has latch in all four positions (I think you can get rear saeating for five as well, but four is standard), and I am sure it comes with manual, and I know it comes with a sunroof. And after market DVD/navigation systems are easy to come by.

There. I found you a car. And it is somewhat foreign. Foreign sounding at least, even if it is owned by Ford.

It starts in the $17k range, so I cannot see any earthly way to hit over $30k with it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
hehehehe Thanks. I looked at the Mazda 5. I grew up with Mazdas (back when they were still a Japanese company) and so they'd probably be ok. My ONLY problem with the 5, which may be solvable, is that there are two captains seats (it's a 2-2-2 configuration, or can be) rather than a bench, and I'm desparate for Piper to stay in the middle, and I'll be even moreso when she finally does move to a booster. But those seats may be movable in the 5, I don't know. I was actually tempted to go to a dealership today and play. The DVD aspect of it isn't as big a deal, as we have a portable, but for safety reasons and ease I'd prefer one built in. And you're right, for $17k I could spend $2k more to get one put in before I bring it home and we'd still be just happy.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
One more photo. Tonight, not even 7 p.m. Can't have been too uncomfortable, for all those nay sayers who would say that there's no way a nearly four year old could ever be comfy RFing.

piperrfing06130604.jpg

Wendy

Splash

How DARE you make her ride like that? Her legs all smushed and her head tilted. For shame, Wendy. For shame.

Anyhoo... I don't think you can move the Mazda's rear seats, but I am almost positive you can get a bench somewhere in the Ford Freestyle, so I would assume that you can in the Mazda.

I wanted Charlie in the middle too. I had a complete complex buying a minivan because there really WAS no middle. Eventually I had to give in. I pushed for the Sienna because we could move the passenger side second row to the middle, OR get an 8 seater. But the wife wanted a Ford. And it ended up having to be a Mercury because I could not find a Ford with side airbags (my insistence) and power foot pedals (her requirement) and both are standard on the Mercury. Same vehicle, but I still feel like a snob. Even though in the end it was cheaper than the Ford!

I'm looking at cars because as much as I LOVE my Aztek, I think it's time to move on. It's having some issues that I don't really want to fix (they're minor, but I grew up with a father who replaced the vehicle every time it needed new tires. I am not exaggerating. What do you expect from me?) and I don't like the wonky center seatbelt or the fact there there is no headrest for the middle. And even though there is a tether bolt for the middle seat, I have to remove the sliding organizer in the back, which confuses and kind of annoys me.
But it's probably all moot anyway. I'll likely drive this thing into the ground.

melaniev

she's so teeny! :)
my baby is the exact same age, 43" tall and probably 38+lbs. but then, my older one who will be 10 this summer, 4' 4 1/2", 49-50# , was probably about that size.

scatterbunny

She really is teeny--and sooo adorable. :)

Hayley was 38 inches at 2.5 and 27 pounds at about 16 months, LOL. At almost 4 (this time last year) she was about 43-44 inches and 43-45 pounds. She's a monster, though. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC