side impact protection

mamamia

Hi-I posted the other day (as an unregistered user) about wanting a Wizard. I am intrigued by the side-impact protection, and imagine that this will make this seat superior to anything else currently available. Everything I have read suggests that when used correctly the seats provide similar protection. Is my thinking correct?

I have 2 FPSE currently. My plan is to put one in our spare car and one in a minivan I am getting this week. I plan on using them for my 11 month old. I will keep her RF as long as I can-but know I will need to purchase a Britax seat to maximize the time she can be RF. I imagine she will outgrow the FP rf in 6-12 months due to height. I also have another child who will soon be 3. She is FF-and I am planning on the Wizard for her. My question is whether or not the steel frame of the FP seat is likely to provide adequate side-impact protection for my baby (ie comparable to the Wizard). If not I will feel that I am protecting one child better than the other. Yes-I realize the baby is probably better protected since she is RF) If that is the case I will purchase 2 Wizards. Any opinions? Sorry for such a long question!
Thanks so much for you time!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hi-

I don't have much more information to offer you than I did on the other thread. Most carseats with a 5-point harness provide a reasonable degree of side impact protection. Some, especially rear-facing models, may do a bit better job than others.

The side impact features of the new Britax products are very intriguing. Unfortunately, none of us have seen them in person, and we have no real world data or crash tests on which to compare their performance to other models.

I think your baby will be very safe in a FPSE if installed and used properly. If you want to purchase a new seat, of course that is up to you:)

mamamia

thanks!

Just wasn't sure if the description from Britax made you guys think the seat was truly superior-as it looks to laypeople like me!

Hopefully you will see one soon and post the thoughts of an expert!

Karen Kite

new britax products?

When you say the NEW Britax products, what do you mean? I just bought a Marathon, will there be a better version coming out soon?

mamamia

yes! i am so excited!

Check out www.britaxusa.com The Wizard is due out within the next few months and is like a Marathon on steroids!! I called several retailers who expect them in within 4-6 weeks-but the accuracy of those claims is unknown. How pathetic of me to be so excited about a car seat? It has similar dimensions and weight limits of the Marathon, but has enhanced side-impact protection. According to their website it will be the first seat in the US to have this benefit. How important is it? I don't know, but I need a new seat soon for my almost 3 year old, and I was going to get a Marathon until I read about the Wizard. For me it is worth the wait. I feel my kids are safe in their FPSE with the steel frame, so I want to get a seat that I also feel has the most side-impact protection. I don't know that the seat will provide significantly better protection than the Marathon, and would probably be just as happy with the Marathon. Truthfully I will get the seat my daughter likes best. I just hope it is the Wizard even if I have to bribe her! LOL!

Karen Kite

Thanks- I just checked the website and your other post and found out the info on the wizard. I think I will get one when they do come out. I just got a Marathon for my 2 1/2 yo (just used it for the first time yesterday!!), but I can use this for the new baby coming and get him a Wizard since it has more shoulder room. He seemed a little scrunched in the Marathon. I can't imagine him fitting in it at 65 lbs. He is only 35 lbs and seems squished!! I was seriously considering the Husky for him, but I do like the idea of the SI protection of the Wizard.
I have a FPSE too, that is what i have been using for my son. I have loved it. I have been using the Mighty Tite on it though and some on here think I may have damaged the seat by doing so, and some think I probably haven't , but still, I don't want to take the chance. it did actually fracture some of the styrofoam in the beltpath, so i am worried it might have invisibly damaged the plastic. So I will feel safer with a new seat. I am excited about the Wizard too!!!!

mamamia

the seats fine with regard to the foam

My older one's seat has cracked foam at the rf belt path. I called FP a week or 2 ago and they said the seat was perfectly fine as long as the foam still sits in the plastic shell. I sat my 2.5 year old in a marathon with racer fabric. She fits well. The fabric is not the cushy velor type and seems more roomy. She fit nicely, but she is tall and very thin. She is 38 inches and 30 lbs. She is all leg, and actually has a lot of room in the fpse. How would you compare the FPSE to the Britax seat? I feel so spoiled-I prefer the FP seat over the Britax (at least the Roundabout), but all the features I like about FP are found only in Britax (1 pull adjuster, non-twisty straps, eps foam). I take the kids in and out of the car so many times I need the easiest seat! Have a nice day!

Karen Kite

Julie, Thank you for the info.
Mamamia- I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Marathon. I have to have my son FF now bc he is 35 lbs (2.7 yo). He loves his seat and loves to get in it. He says it is very comfy and he just jumps right there and buckles the chest clip himself. He has the doggy bone pattern in velour. It is really easy to use and to install. I just love it. I am planning on getting a wizard for him when they come out and use the Marathon rf for our upcoming infant. You know we have the FPSE which I like too, but honestly, I like the Marathon a lot better. It just feels so solid and easy to use and plush.

mamamia

thanks Karen!

Nice to hear someone has a FPSE and likes a Britax seat. My 2y10m old DD actually straps herself in the FPSE so all I have to do is pull it tight. She sat in a friend's Marathon RF a few weeks ago and said she liked it-not the plush fabric-the Racer fabric. The plush stuff seems like it would be quite hot in the summer. Although I must admit the tinted windows on my new van keeps the inside far less hot than my old car so this may not be an issue, plus I have rear A/C vents to cool the DDs down quick! Please post and let me know if the seat gets hot!

How do you know the Wizard will have more shoulder room? I hope it does, although my kids are quite slimly built-tall, but thin. My older one is 38-39 inches tall and only 30 lbs. The little one (1 year) is 20 lbs and 31 inches so they fit fine in the MA. At the rate they gain weight they won't be 65 lbs til about age 11 from looking at their growth charts. They will reach 49 inches around age 6 at which time they will only be about 40 lbs so I am betting they will be fine in the MA/WIzard at 6.

Also-I want to let you know we got our 2004 Sienna-I had posted to your Odyssey vs. Sienna post. Absolutely LOVE it! Would recommend it in an instant. I love the 40/60 fold flat seats. THere are lots of hooks in the cargo area for bungy cords so you can strap everything down! We got the LE 7 passenger with LE package 7 ( vehicle skid control, traction control, side curtain airbags all 3 rows, and rear audio (the kids can listen to a nick jr tape while I listen to the counting crows....) THere are 4 sets of lower anchors for car seats. The tether anchors are on the back of the seats-improved form the 2003 model. All around a great package.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC