Are there boosters for "big" toddlers

M

marysmom

Are there boosters for "big" toddlers

I have a two year, who is 37lbs. and 37 inches. I know that she needs to move out of her current seat, but I don't know what I should choose to replace it. I am uncomfortable putting her in a beat positioning booster at such a young age, but I have been unsuccessful in finding a 5point harness rating higher than 40 lbs. besides the Britaxs. Unfortunetly, money is an issue as I can't afford to buy two $250 boosters. Any help or thoughts are really appreciated.
-Margo

ADS
M

murphydog77

Re: Are there boosters for "big" toddlers

Hi Margo. How close to being 3 is she? Some young 3 year olds are able to sit safely in a belt positioning booster. It's not something I recommend, but when there's nothing else . . .

I am in the same position. My son is a big kid. At 26 months, he tipped the scales at 38 lbs. and I started to panic; however, here we are, 8 months later and he's still 38 lbs. (39"). I have been watching his diet like a hawk ;-).

For those of us with big, young kids, we only have 5 options. Three of the seats are Britax seats: the Super Elite/Husky, the Laptop and the Marathon. The other 2 seats are the Fisher Price Futura and the Safety Baby Airway. The Super Elite, Laptop and Futura are discontinued, although they can still be found if you look hard enough. The Airway is a new seat and I'm not comfortable recommending that seat yet--it's too new, there are some issues with buckle placement and *I* think it was sold in a bizarre way (via eBay).

All of these seats have pros and cons to them. Here's a site that lists these seats: www.carseatsite.com/recom...seats.htm. Look under the "Niche Seats" section.

If you have any questions about them, I'd be happy to answer them for you. I think I could write a book on them, LOL!

Heather

C

Caviller

The Laptop can still be found at some RightStart stores...

It is probably your least expensive option at about $60, and the online store may still have some, too:

www.rightstart.com/global...upTP=Model

Also try ZainyBrainy stores if your local RightStart is out of stock.

Darren

M

marysmom

re: boosters for toddlers

Is the Laptop really safe? Does anyone know why they discontinued it? Oh and my D is turning two this week, so she is really young, although, she is doesn't figit in her seat. Thanks for the help.
Margo

J

Julie

Laptop

Yes, it is quite safe. I have one for my 3yo dd, it keeps her well contained, and she can rest her head on it for sleeping. It was discontinued because it could not be made LATCH compatible (which, IMO really ignores all the kids in older cars with lapbelts only, shame on those politicians!). For the price, and for the amount of weight it "covers"-30 to 65 pounds, it's really a bargain. We don't use ours all the time, but it is excellent as a spare, so if you decide to get the Super Elite, you will have a seat that's more portable so you'll never have to worry about moving your SE for a short trip, carpooling, or whatever.

C

Caviller

In the end, Britax apparently was afraid of liability

In the government's infinite wisdom, they did not issue Britax an exemption from the new requirements that made all carseats LATCH compatible by September 1, 2002. Supposedly, the Laptop's construction and width made it impossible to retrofit with lower attachments and a tether. Even so, according to Safe Ride News, Britax apparently was ultimately fearful that it had a risk of liability because of a recent lawsuit against Evenflo.

Many advocates were upset over the Britax/NHTSA's action (or inaction), since the Laptop was the only inexpensive option for families with no shoulder belts in their vehicles. That happens to apply especially to lower income families, who may now have no practical method to transport their children who are above 40 pounds.

My review on the Laptop can be found here:

pub59.ezboard.com/fcarsaf...ID=3.topic

It is not the ideal seat for everyone, but it is safe and filled a very important niche. I own one, and while I don't use it for daily rides, I have no problem putting my kids in it when they travel in other vehicle's or when we have other kids in our cars.

Darren

S

safeinthecar

Re: Are there boosters for "big" toddlers

My advice would be to cross that bridge when you come to it. It took my DD a year and a half to go from 39 to 40 lbs. (and she eats like a horse) By the time your little one actually gets to 40lbs there may be more options on the market.

B

basiadalisa

big kid boosters

I am a certified NHTSA carseat inspector/installer. You should wait until your child is 40 pounds before putting her in a belt positioning booster as long as her heigth is still within your current carseats requirements. You can check this by looking at the label on your carseat.
Although the Britax is a ery expensive seat, it is the only option I know of for a current booster that goes to 12o pounds EITH a 5-point herness. If you should choos a belt positioning booster it is totally safe while used with a lap/shoulder combo belt in your vehicle. It is not safe to EVER use a used carseat (via eBay etc.). The life of a carseat is 6 years max. The carseat is only good for 1 low speed crash. Technology changes carseats so much and quickly your 2 year seat could be obsoleted by a better and safer model. Parts may have been changes on a second-hand seat without your knowledge.

Please check with WWW.NHTSA.GOV to find a CERTIFIED carseat technician in your area. Most provide free inspections and have tons of helpful information regarding selecting and installing a seat that's right for your child.
Lisa

C

Caviller

Minor clarifications-

Britax does not make a combination booster seat with an internal harness. They do, however, make some harnessed front-facing carseats that go beyond 40 pounds. These include the Marathon (65 pounds), Super Elite/Husky (80 pounds using tether) and the special needs Traveller+ (105 pounds with tether, $450).

For free inspections from a certified technician, please visit our "Free Carseat Inspection" link under the top banner.

C

carseatsafetymom99

laptop & big toddlers..

margo,
I understand your dilemma. My son will be 3 on the 27th of Nov. and he is currently 40" tall & 42 lbs. We bought the Futura 20/60 long ago & recenlty the laptop, for his dad's truck (futura wouldn't fit).

the Futura is great! The laptop Works well & is a good seat, but I only use on a very, very part-time basis. I wouldn't use on an every day trips! I like the security of a 5 pt harness!

I do know that if you go to Biglots.com and e-mail or contact the company that they will send to the nearest Biglots and it is only $39.99 + Tax, no shipping charges!

I hope this helps!

Jennifer
Cps tech in California & mom

M

mpeel

What about NextStep DX/MX

I have a 2 1/2 year old who is right at the height limits of her Evenflo convertable. Yet, she is only 30 lbs. The Century NextStep DX/MX would accomodate her. The shoulder height is 17 inches (she is 15) and the 5 pt harness goes to 40 lbs. Also, it reclines. She sleeps a lot so I feel this is a must. And, it is $150 less than a Marathon. But, I can't find out much about it. Any opinions?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC