Graco's Asher, aka knockoff of Star-riser Comfy

D

dsharp

Graco's Asher, aka knockoff of Star-riser Comfy

So, we've been looking at the Star-riser Comfy for our 4-year-old son, who weighs about 35 pounds. (Also looking at the Marathon). Then I saw the Graco Asher, which looks amazingly like the Star-riser Comfy for half the price (and with cupholders). It sounds too good to be true...

Anyone have experience with this one? Any crash test data or comparison to Britax? The seat will be going in an Odyssey which doesn't have seatbelt pretensioners.

One other question: The material says it has EPS foam in the headrest. Is that the type of stuff that bicycle helmets are made of?

Many thanks in advance. (And thanks for your patience to those who've followed my travails in seeking out the right booster seat).

David

ADS
C

Caviller

Is this similar to the Graco Turbo?

The Turbo is a very nice booster, especially for the price. As with any booster, the seatbelt system is what provides the restraint directly. So, if the seatbelt is fitted properly, the variations in safety from one model to the next should not be particularly significant.

The EPS foam is indeed the material used in bicycle helmets. Its use in child restraints appears to be increasing as new models are released.

M

murphydog77

Re: Graco's Asher, aka knockoff of Star-riser Comfy

I like the looks of the TurboBooster too. I've heard a lot of positive things about the seat. I think the only downside of it compared to the Starriser Comfy is that the base doesn't adjust in width.

Heather

T

Tupu

Graco's Turbo

Hi,
I have both the Britax and the Graco in my Odyssey. My kids dislike very much the Britax but are ok with the Graco.
What I don't like about the Britax is that it lets a sleeping kid fall forward. I haven't had that problem with the Graco. Also the Graco has hight adjustable armrest which makes it easier to buckle the seat belt correctly (both lap and shoulder belts are supposed to go under the armrests on the buckle side).
Adjusting the back rest is much easier on the Graco.
I also recommed that you choose (if you decide to go for the Graco) the cheaper model where the arm rests are not padded. That also helps the proper fit of the lapbelt that usually gets caught in the Britax armrest and if that happens the lapbelt is too loose and wouldn't keep the child in place in a crash.
Good luck
Tupu

D

dsharp

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I believe this seat is the same as the Turbo. I could have sworn it was called the Asher at Amazon -- don't understand the discrepancy.

I think we'll see if it fits our car and our son. If so, it's definitely the right price. And frankly, I think the Graco has some nicer features, like the cupholder.

Tnx again
David

M

murphydog77

Re: Thanks

Asher is the fabric, Turbo is the name of the seat. It's just like if you look up a Cosco Touriva with the nice fabric, it's often called the Eddie Bauer. It's terribly confusing!

Heather

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC