Damaged Hugs on Husky

rubelin

My baby has finally made it to the top slots on his Husky :( He's not 6 yet, and under 60 lbs but has a very long torso.

I just took the seat out and decided to wash the cover since I had to unthread everything (we need to move the buckle forward also) and I noticed that the hugs, besides being disgustingly grungy and faded, have started ripping along the edges of the top and bottom crosspieces (so you could rip the sides clean off).

There is nothing in the manual about them at all, so I don't know if they are a safety feature or a convenience feature, like the strap covers. They have been fairly useless for a long time, and really impede the chest clip more than help, and I think DS would have an easier time fastening the straps without them, especially if they are going to rip apart anyway.

Can I throw them away??

ADS

LuvBug

Yes they are required for forward facing in the britax seats and are rumored to be one of the few reasons britax seats pass well with the higher weights. They aid in spreading the impact over the torso instead of concentrating only on the shoulder area, so definitely a must.
You can order replacements and until then just use them even though they are about to fall apart.

So he is now officially above the 2nd from top slots? When you measure his torso against the wall what do you get? Im curious as to how long DS will last in his husky(I was thinking about 8, which is when it expires anyway, possibly 9). Currently he is 2y9m, 34lbs, and about 39" and a hair over the bottom rim of the second from bottom slots, so the straps are just leveling off and havent yet started to turn downward.

I think the slots are about 2" or slightly more apart so if your DS grows a torso inch a year he will still be in it until he is 8. And he can be in it until the straps start to tilt downward(which would mean he is above the top slot).

rubelin

Hmm, I can't find them on the Britax site; the Husky isn't even listed in any of the categories. Anybody know where to look or how much they are?? You would think they would make them better, though it does look like they've redesigned them on the newer seats. The rubber has gotten all mushy feeling, like it's melting.

And, yes, he's just over the 2nd from the top slots with about an 18" torso length (Measureing from his mid-shoulder to the bottom of his tush, sitting up very tall, though he's much slouchier in the car, lol!). We also had to raise the back of his Starriser booster this weekend. The seat will expire when he's 8.5, and it might fit him that long. I did just realize that the MA, Blvd and DC all have the same top harness height as the 2nd one on the Husky/Regent, which means he would have fit one of those until this month, which is good to know.

When we got it, he was just about where your son is now, in age and size (maybe a bit shorter and heavier) and we started on the 3rd from the top slot. I think we moved up to the 2nd to top slot when he was almost 4 (and moved it into our current car) and then it's taken almost 2 yrs to go up another slot, so he's definitely slowing down in his torso growth and getting more length in his legs.

Ok, gotta go wash the grime off that other HUGS and put them back on.

LuvBug

you have to call them for replacement I think? since they arent an accessory.
The newer ones are a little better IMO. They are slightly thicker and maybe even a slightly different material?(the old ones felt slick and the new ones are porous, but it may just be me)

I measure the 2nd from top on the husky as more like 18" and I measure the marathon as 17". DS has a max of 3/4" left in the MA and is just a hair over the bottom rim of the 2nd from bottom slots which I measure at 15.5". So the slots are almost close, some measure the MA's as 17.25" and some get 17.5" but I dont think anyone has ever gotten 18" except without the cover(which is how britax listed the top measurement on their site- 18" without cover). I think the different cover materials may have something to do with this, also how long the seat is used and how much compression(squooshing) happens during that time.

I figure he will be in the 2nd from top slots around his 3rd birthday since the straps are just now leveling off. He has a lot of leg growing to do though if the rumor of them becoming 'all legs after 2' is true.

rubelin

I'm still getting !7" from the slit in the fabric to the seam at the bottom of the back of the cover, but the straps are threaded through the top slots so it probably measures differently when they are in the slot and have a kid in them :) Plus, the slots are about an inch wide, so that's a bit of a variable. Either way, that slot is at least the same as the MA, if not higher and there's the top slot after that, so it's still my favorite choice if you don't need a RF seat.

LuvBug

Yeah you should try measuring to the inside of the slot, not just the slit in the cover. Stick your finger in the slot and compress the seat slightly as if your child was in it. I say measure to the middle since they arent technically past that slot until the straps start to tilt downward.

Tara

yeah you have to call Britax about the HUGS..I just went through this for my Marathon. They cost $3/ea..so $6 for the pair, then it was going to cost $6.50 to ship it!

rubelin

Tara said:
yeah you have to call Britax about the HUGS..I just went through this for my Marathon. They cost $3/ea..so $6 for the pair, then it was going to cost $6.50 to ship it!

EEEEK!! That's outrageous for a required part that is breaking down with normal wear & tear!

Did the ones from your MA also tear apart?? How old were they??

Tara

mine were chewed to bits by 2 children LOL so I removed them, as they didn't seem as though they'd remain on much longer anyway, then I found out they were required Eek! but someone mailed me their extra pair as I didn't have any $ to order them
anyway, ours weren't very old at all..the kids had just chewed the points down and the hugs were basically dangling That top little bit that goes over the strap...that was gone.

and yeah, I think that is pretty crazy to pay for a required piece like that..the shipping is what really got me..well, I'm sure it's shipping & handling, but still...I saw the postage on the pair sent to me .. $.63..hello? Britax is charging $6???

anyway..

oh and my apologies for my 'look' today..I'm on the laptop, kid nursing, I'm trying to type one handed with my lesser hand I do well to type straight w/2 hands on this thing LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC