Baby in a taxi? What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I am traveling to Baltimore via plane & my 14 month old daughter will be traveling on my lap. I am not renting a car & was planning on getting a taxi from the airport to the hotel once we arrive. My daughter is about 18 lbs & she has a Britax Roundabout.

I was really not wanting to lug the roundabout with me for the trip. I'm a little concerned with how long it would take to install it in a cab & how much of a pain it will be!

Does anyone here have any suggestions? Something easy to install very quickly that is light weight to carry around? Any ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. A lot of people were telling me to just hold her in my lap for the taxi rides but I REALLY don't want to do that. I want her to be safe & we all know how crazy some taxi drivers drive!! I've also heard from some of my friends that some taxis don't even have seat belts or they are broken.. what to do then?? Thanks in advance for your help & suggestions! ~ Lori :)

ADS

soygurl

How long/tall is she? I'm just wondering if you could get away with a baby bucket for her. She would still fit weight wise, but height... maybe, maybe not. Unless it was a graco safeseat 1, but those are quite a bit more $$. Still you could probably sell after the trip and get most of your money back. I'm thinking this would be your best option (providing she fits lenthwise, i.e. one inch, or more, of space between the top of her head and the shell of the seat.) because it would be easy to cary, and as long as you get one that can be installed WITHOUT the base, easy to install in the cab. The cheapest safeseat I could fine was here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...bbs_b_2_1/104-5928068-8360740?v=glance&s=baby
If she fit into a "regular" baby bucket though, you could get one for quite cheap, and wouldn't really need to worry about which kind/what features, except 5-pt. harness, and the ability to install without the base.
If she wouldn't fit in a baby bucket (or you just don't like that option for whatever reason), I think your best other option would be a cosco scenara. Cheap, light weight, and from what I hear, pretty easy to install. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-6091504-8537766?_encoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000A3YIWS
Maybe someone else will have some other ideas, but that's all I can think of.
Regarding no seat belts/broken belts, I say just don't get in it if you find one. Just wait for the next cab. A little more time is worth the safety IMO. Oh, and one more tip: don't close the cab door until the seat is fully installed. Also, I've heard that the driver will be MUCH more willing/happy to wait if you hand them $1 advanced tip, and have them start the meater when you begin instaling the seat (for time and money's sake, practiec installing the seat a LOT before leaving on the trip).
HTH, and good luck on the trip!

~Kelsie

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

I have never traveled by taxi w/a carseat, but I have traveled alone with a toddler + carseat by air, so if this helps, this is how I did it. (I was younger then - not sure this would work for ME now that I am 10 yrs older!)

I packed everything in a big backpack, I had a small bag for carryon with toys snacks. For the carseat, I had an aluminum rack with wheels, I think people used them for luggage before luggage had wheels, it was kind of an L shaped frame, I hope you know what i mean. Anyway, I could attach the carseat to that with bungi cords. Then I carry my toddler w/one arm on one hip, with the backpack on my back, and the aluminum thing with the carseat (carry on bag in the carseat) would roll along the ground with the other arm. This was about 10 years ago the my carseat was MUCH larger that the Roundabout.

If you are not alone, you have the option of having a stroller, too!

Hope this helps!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know what the techs' views here are on the gogo kidz, but if you have a roundabout you might want to look into them. They are wheels that attach to the carseat, specifically made for britax. They don't come off for installation on the plane or in a rental/taxi. So I'd check into those. You could gate check it, or see if there's an empty seat on your flight that you can set up her seat in for free (hit or miss on that one, especially if you're traveling at peak hours). Then you have the seat and you don't need to worry about baggage damage during the flight. I agree with the other poster, practice practice practice, and install her roundabout right with the wheels into the taxi. The tip beforehand and starting the meter right off the bat are good ideas. What does he care what's going on provided his meter is running?

Wendy

jenny03

I'd go with the scenera. It would be much lighter, and easy to install in the taxi. I found on our trips to NYC that as long as I tipped well, the drivers didn't care. :p Just practice installing it in your car, and if there are no seatbelts (there should be, at least in NY there are laws for cabs) wait for one that does.

groovymom2000

Just a word about the go go kidz---you MUST remove it when you get into the car, so

that wouldn't help much for a taxi, as it does take a few minutes.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
http://www.thecarseatlady.com/taxis.html

I also don't see anything that exempts a person from using a carseat in a taxi in MD so doing so would be illegal and you may not find a taxi to transport you w/out one. I would definitely take one, I can't imagine having my child in a moving car w/out a seatbelt. That's not only unsafe, it's confusing for the child IMO. Here's some info on flying too (somewhere else I wouldn't go w/out a carseat). http://www.cpsafety.org/articles/airplanetravel.aspx

LEAW

I just took a trip with a baby the same age.. here's what we did.

Me: baby on my front/back in a mei tai, I pulled a suitcase with all of our things behind me, used a stroller to carry the car seat and carry on and my purse. The stroller (a chicco london, about $70) holds the car seat (cosco scenara, $40) just right.

My britax seat did not fit in the stroller, the base was too large, and the scenara is only 10.5 lbs, while the britax is 25.

I checked my big suitcase, and then gate checked the stroller and car seat (we hoped to have the seat on the plane if there was an open seat) and the stroller made carrying the carryon bags SO much easier.

I took a trip with her w/o a stroller as well, and used a backpack as the carryon, carried her on my front, and was able to carry the car seat with ease, as it's light. It's not nearly as easy to install as the britax are, and I've found that I almost always need something rolled to keep the seat angle when it RF.

Of all the cabs we used (6?) only one did not have retracting/locking seatbelts, which is by far the easier way to install it, I prefer it over LATCH, and prefer LATCH over the locking clip. Between the 2 trips, we took 11 different planes and the car seat/stroller returned to the gate between every flight.

People at the airport are very helpful, especiallyif you ask. We skipped through all but one security line, they offered to hold baby or help fold the stroller, etc. on every flight. Don't be afraid to say "yes, could you do X" if anyone offers.

IMG_0788.sized.jpg

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Living in MD, I can say that hired contractors (like taxis and limo services) are exempt from car seat laws, so it wouldn't be illegal, unfortunately, not to use a seat. However, it would be a horrible idea in terms of safety.

The gogokidz is a great idea for using your Britax. People really like it. Getting a lightweight (and low cost) Dorel Scenera is another option that works well for people.

What I've done when traveling with my son and his convertible or booster in the past is to tell the taxi driver that I'll be using my seat and to please be patient for a minute while I installed the seat. If he appears uncooperative, I tell him (and I do it) that I will report him to the taxi commission (the number is usually on the cab). Although seats are not required, drivers are required to wait if you need to install one. If the driver is totally uncooperative, get another cab (usually pretty easy at the airport or at a hotel). I try to be firm and assertive and I usually say that I tip well. Taxi drivers are always trying to hurry you and if get one who just won't work with you, get another.

Good luck.

LEAW

Also, don't close the door to the cab while you install the seat. Closing the door is the signal to the driver to leave. :)

At the airport there will be plenty of cabs, if one doesn't have seatbelts, just look for a newer car or wait for one that has belts. On your return trip, call the taxi company and explain that you need a cab with working seatbelts so that you can secure a car seat for a baby, they are usually good about that.

ccjones

I live fairly close to BWI (Baltimore airport), and depending on how much money you want to spend, I would hire a private sedan service instead of using a taxi. I don't know about all sedan services, but my friend owns one and all of his sedans (big cars, like a Grand Marquise or Crown Victoria) are no more than 2 years old, so they all have LATCH. Where in Baltimore are you staying, downtown or in a surrounding town?

-Colleen

U

Unregistered

ccjones said:
I live fairly close to BWI (Baltimore airport), and depending on how much money you want to spend, I would hire a private sedan service instead of using a taxi. I don't know about all sedan services, but my friend owns one and all of his sedans (big cars, like a Grand Marquise or Crown Victoria) are no more than 2 years old, so they all have LATCH. Where in Baltimore are you staying, downtown or in a surrounding town?

-Colleen

I will be staying at a hotel (not sure which one because my parents booked the reservation) that is near the University of Maryland Medical School. I've never heard of a private sedan service? Do you have any phone numbers or info on them in that area?? Thanks! ~Lori :)

PS thank you to everyone who has replied so far, I've read everything & I appreciate ALL the advice & info!

ccjones

Lori,
If you are staying near the UMD Medical Center, then you are staying in downtown Baltimore. Depending on traffic, it can take anywhere from 15-30 minutes to get from BWI to near the hospital. The private sedan service is called Charm City Limo. The phone number is (410) 768-8895. You can always call and see what kind of price they'll give you. It might be more than you want to spend, though, especially with the cost of gas going up (here in MD a gallon of regular gas is about $3.10). The cool thing about the sedan service is that the driver should meet you at the end of the concourse (near the security checkpoints - they used to meet you at the gate pre-9/11) with a sign with your name on it. And they usually go to baggage claim with you and help you with your luggage. I have not had to use the sedan service in a few years since I moved so close to BWI, but if/when you call, you can verify this.

-Colleen

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Living in MD, I can say that hired contractors (like taxis and limo services) are exempt from car seat laws, so it wouldn't be illegal, unfortunately, not to use a seat.

Do you know where I can find a copy of this statute? The site I normally look at doesn't list anything in the way of exemptions for taxis.

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Sure, here is the statute in its entirety. Only children in Class A (passenger vehicles), Class E (light trucks) and Class M (SUV's and minivans) are covered under Maryland's car seat law. Maryland's law is not unusual. Most states do not require CRS in hired vehicles (taxis, limos, etc.)

Maryland

§ 22-412.2. Child safety seats.

(a) Definitions.-
(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) (i) "Child safety seat" means a device, including a child booster seat, that the manufacturer:
1. Certifies is manufactured in accordance with applicable federal safety standards; and
2. Intends to be used to restrain, seat, or position a child who is transported in a motor vehicle.
(ii) "Child safety seat" does not mean a seat belt or combination seat belt-shoulder harness used alone.
(3) (i) "Seat belt" means a restraining device described under § 22-412 of this subtitle.
(ii) "Seat belt" includes a combination seat belt-shoulder harness.
(b) Accordance with directions of manufacturer required.- A child safety seat meets the requirements of this section only if it is installed and used in accordance with the directions of the manufacturer.
(c) Application to vehicles.- This section applies to the transportation of a child in a vehicle registered, or of a type capable of being registered, in this State as a:
(1) Class A (passenger) vehicle;
(2) Class E (truck) with a manufacturer's rated capacity of 3/4 ton or less, the gross vehicle weight of which does not exceed 7,000 pounds; or
(3) Class M (multipurpose) vehicle.
(d) Child under age of 6 or weighing 40 pounds or less.- A person transporting a child in a motor vehicle registered in the State shall secure the child in a child safety seat in accordance with the child safety seat and vehicle manufacturers' instructions if the child:
(1) Is under the age of 6 years, regardless of the child's weight; or
(2) Weighs 40 pounds or less, regardless of the child's age.
(d-1) Child under age of 4 or weighing 40 pounds or less.- A person transporting a child in a motor vehicle registered in another state, in the District of Columbia, or in another country, shall secure the child in a child safety seat in accordance with the child safety seat and vehicle manufacturers' instructions if the child:
(1) Is under the age of 4 years, regardless of the child's weight; or
(2) Weighs 40 pounds or less, regardless of the child's age.
(e) Child weighing more than 40 pounds and less than age of 16.- A person may not transport a child under the age of 16 years unless the child is secured in:
(1) A child safety seat in accordance with the child safety seat and vehicle manufacturers' instructions; or
(2) A seat belt.
(f) Medical exception.- If a physician, who is licensed to practice medicine in the state in which the vehicle transporting the child is registered, certifies in writing that use of a child safety seat by a particular child would be impractical due to the child's weight, physical unfitness, or other medical reason, there is not a violation of this section.
(g) Individual use.- A child safety seat or seat belt may not be used to restrain, seat, or position more than 1 individual at a time.
(h) Securing locations.- If the number of children subject to the provisions of this section exceeds the number of passenger securing locations suitable for securing a child either in a seat belt or in a child safety seat in accordance with this section, and all of those securing locations are in use by children, there is not a violation of this section.
(i) Effect of violations.- A violation of this section is not contributory negligence and may not be admitted as evidence in the trial of any civil action.
(j) Moving violation.- A violation of this section is not considered a moving violation for purposes of § 16-402 of this article.
(k) Separate violation.- The failure to provide a child safety seat or seat belt for more than 1 child in the same vehicle at the same time, as required by this section, shall be treated as a single violation.
(l) Fine; waiver.-
(1) Any person convicted of a violation of this section is subject to a fine of $25.
(2) A judge may waive the fine if the person charged with violation of this section:
(i) Did not possess a child safety seat at the time of the violation;
(ii) Acquires a child safety seat prior to the hearing date; and
(iii) Provides proof of acquisition to the court.
(m) Implementation; compliance.- The Department of Transportation and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene shall jointly implement the Child Safety Seat Program and foster compliance with this section through educational and promotional efforts.

9/05

U

Unregistered

Reality Check

Given the host site, I'm pretty sure my comments won't be popular here, but I'll provide it anyway. From a relative-risk perspective, one or two trips in a taxi without a booster seat doesn't pose a huge risk to your child. Yes, a carrier/seat is preferred, but travelling with such a monster is impractical. Your child is sort of on the borderline for booster seats, but the statistical analyses on booster seats show they provide about as much increased safety as a kid with a regular belt and a portable DVD player (which keeps the kid from squirming around). There's a section on the analyses in Steve Levitt's book "Freakonomics". For one or two rides in a taxi, the odds of you being in a situation where the booster seat made a difference are miniscule. So, relax. On a day-to-day basis, the odds change because your cumulative risk of being in an accident increase. But for a single trip, you should be fine.

skaterbabs

How about a REAL reality check. One trip without a seat CAN kill a child. Automobile crashes are the NUMBER ONE cause of unintentional injury and death for ages 3 through 33.

The freaks behind "Freakonomics" don't have a clue what they're talking about and their "advice" has parents like you risking children's lives for convienence.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Well said, Rebekah

Think of it like this:
  • Isn't your child's life worth just a few moments of your time :confused: :eek:
Many infant carseats can be installed without the base & the Cosco Scenera is very lightweight, easy to use -- visit http://www.seatcheck.org to find a local CPSTech to help you learn how to install your infant seat in various vehicles correctly each time....

For older toddlers & big kids the Ride Safer Travel Vest is an excellent taxi option & the Tote-N-Go or a backless booster are other decent choices for such emergency situations!

Even if the child doesn't die, the risk of severe injury including being paralyzed is VERY REAL! I grew up in a medical O&P patient care facility where I saw kids on a weekly basis who were improperly restrained in their vehicles & suffered permanent severe disability that was completely PREVENTABLE if the adult had taken only moments to keep their children safe :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC