Laptop or 5 point

U

Unregistered

My 40 month old, 35#, 40" son occassionaly rides with my father in his chevy pickup. The airbag is turned off and he rides in the middle (I know this is not the safest choice, but I am a single parent and my father has to take him to visitation with his father once a week, and he will not drive my vehicle. My question is would a britax laptop or a 5 point be better? I have a husky, but it will not sit in the middle (my father will only allow the seat there). I have an evenflo seat there now, but it puts him so close to the console, I wondered if the laptop might set him furthur back, but concerned about safety vs 5 point. Also no latch, lap only belt, with a tether. Thanks for your help.

ADS

skaterbabs

You're going to have a tough time finding a higher-weight seat that will fit there, but the Laptop is a good choice as long as there is plenty of seat above the back of your son's head.

The biggest problem you will have is your father's refusal to to what is necessary to keep your son safe, and that will need to be addressed between the two of you. Putting him in the center is abolutely NOT safe because while the passesnger side airbag is turned off, the driver's side is NOT, and your son is still in the deployment zone.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The LapTop crash tests similar to a 5-point harness, but a harness seat will have a top tether option (call the dealer about having a tether anchor installed) & this reduces head excursion....

The Graco Ultra/Platinum CarGo or Evenflo Bolero/Generations/Traditions might fit OK there, but after 40# would need to be used outboard as a booster -- B/G/T makes for a better booster, but the CarGo has EPS foam.

You could also check out the Kid-Y with RydeRite for the lap belt -- without a vehicle headrest, you'd need the high back version.

U

Unregistered

Thanks - I had not thought about the driver's airbag. As far as talking to my dad, I would be better served to talk to the wall. I am a single mom going through a very ugly divorce and my father is very judgemental. I stay torn because my son really loves him and needs a man in his life, but my father's love is so conditional. I know the pain that has caused me and i don't want that for my son. Also the court order states that my father is to deliver and exchange the child from his truck (yes it actually says his truck) and be present for the visitation. I don't want to rehash this in court because atleast my husband (wife and child beating card carrying sociopath and untreated bipolar) is not alone with our son, and court never seems to go the way that any reasonable person would expect. It was a real battle to convince my dad that my son needs a carseat everytime he is in the car, but I definately put my foot down on that. Dad has footed the lawyer and given us a place to stay, so I pick my battles, and now that I know about the airbag risk I will have to find a way to resole this one. If the seat is pushed back all the way it is still dangerous right?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ugh, I just noticed that when I edited I left out the part about petitioning to NHTSA about getting the driver airbag turned off -- it's not likely they'll allow it if the other outboard position is available & even if they do you'll have a hard time finding a dealer to disengage the driver airbag....

Since he's FF it's OK but not ideal for him to be in front of the airbag & especially less so if the dealer can't/won't install a top tether anchor -- if someone else uses the other outboard seat then I would try out the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Delux which would sit kiddo higher up & can be used with or without the top tether (again, tethering is very important with an airbag). Otherwise, moving him to the other outboard position is a great idea & if Grandpa won't use the harness correctly (tight, no slack!), then I would look for a LapTop or even a booster ... for a 3 year old, though, you might need to practice using the booster lots & lots with him out of the vehicle & if the vehicle has a switchable locking retractor make sure to pull it all the way out to lock the shoulder in place -- a correctly used booster is safer than an incorrectly used harness. But, the booster is out of the question if grandpa won't keep the shoulder belt positioned properly! Either way, try to get the airbag turned off & keep the seat back.

(((((HUGS))))) I had a similar very stressful Family Court situation ... my ex also has Permanent Supervised Visitation with grandpa, but my dad is a Certified Prosthetist Orthotist who grew up in an orphanage -- he appreciates all my parental decisions & understands the need for car safety even though he has severe nerve damage & can't buckle harness seats (I had my DD practice using the booster with a scarf tied where the shoulder belt goes, every night for a few weeks in our living room) :eek: I wish you & kiddo the best of luck!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC