Is my daughter to small for Regent?

M

MomOfTwo

We are buying a Regent for my son and are thinking about getting one for my daughter. This would give us 2 sets of car seats so we would not have to keep switching them between cars. She is going to be 2 in June and weighs 31 pounds is between 33-34inches. She is currently in a Marathon. Also does anyone know of any online store that sells Regents with a 2006 manufacturer date. Our local store only sells 2005's?

ADS
U

Unregistered

Technically she fits the requirements, but kids who turn forward facing before age 2 are 4 times as likely to die. Safest practice is to remain rear facing for as long as the child fits the limits of the seat, regardless of age; this means up to 30-33 pounds depending on the seat.

Cosco seats like the Scenera rear face until 35 pounds, Britax rear faces until 33 pounds. Since she should still be rear facing & it's like the Regent would expire before she outgrew it (if you bought it now) then I would not buy the Regent yet.

I would buy a less expensive seat like the Scenera to keep her rear facing as long as possible and then buy the Regent when the Scenera is outgrown.

M

MomOfTwo

Ok so I have check my daughters height and weight. She is 35.5 pounds and just under 36 inches. The other measurements were from her last doctors appointment. So If I get the regent now it would expire (baring no accidents) just before she turns eight years old and my sons would expire right before he turns 10. I went to the local store and tried here in a Regent. She looks very comfortable and didn't want to get out of it. That being said just wondering if that changes you opinion? If not please let me know too. Thanks :)

M

MomOfTwo

:) Ok I found a place that offers March 2006 Regents online. My husband and I calculated that my daughter would be 7 years and 9 months when it expired and My son would be 9 years 9 months. I imagine that both kids will only be harnessed until around 8 and then moved into a booster. So if my daughters expires she should be able to use my sons for a while. Atleast in theory. Do people keep there kids in a harness passed 8? I honestly don't know. My mother in law thinks I am being silly and that my son should be in a booster and that is ok if he 5 pounds over the maximum weight. Just venting a little a guess lol. So looks like we decided on 2 Regents

Longhorn Lady

Who cares what your MIL thinks. Tell her that she's already raised her kids ;)

When does the MA expire? I ask because at her age, she's probably still falling alseep a bit in the car and needing extra head/neck support (I'm talking for COMFORT, not SAFETY) and the MA would give her more of that. If you have another 3 or 4 years left in your MA, than you could just get your son a Regent right now, and than put him in a booster around 7-8 and put your daughter in the Regent for the remaining 2-3 years :) Even if you want to keep them harnessed longer, I would still probably use the MA until it expires for the baby, and THEN buy a Regent for her. JMO.

scatterbunny

I think both kids will be fine in harnesses as long as you present it in a positive light, emphasizing that you want them as safe as possible because you love them. :) I've seen pics of at least one 10yo in the Husky, but I can't remember where. :confused: But CPSafety.com has an extended harnessing photo album (I have the link in my signature) that shows kids as old as 8 in the Husky, with room to grow.

My own dd used the Husky between 2.5 years old and 4 years, 3 months old. She was 38 inches tall and 35ish pounds when she started using it, and loved it. I've seen pics of another, smaller child (35ish inches, 30ish pounds, I think?) in the Regent, and she was very comfortable.

U

Unregistered

My dd is 8 and in a Husky. She will have her first ride in a booster next week when we travel, but only 'cause I can't lug that Husky along!!
You won't find her in the album though because she isn't over 40 lbs yet. I have to say that she is more accepting of the harnessed seat as she knows she is so small compared to her friends. If she were a lot bigger it might be different. We'll see how long it takes for her to hit 40, but she could end up in the Husky in our vehicles until 10 whether she is over 40 or not (unless her younger sister needs the Husky sooner). I don't see 40lbs as a 'magical' number, just a bare minimum.
C.

Longhorn Lady

Sorry, coming back to this. I didn't mean to sound like the Regent wasn't a great choice now, just saying that I don't see a reason to discontinue use of the MA since she's just a wee one at only 22/23ish months old. I nanny for a little girl who is 21 months old and she falls asleep all the time in the car, and she's too young to always know how to position a pillow for comfort. That's the only drawback to the Regent that I wanted to point out :)

M

MomOfTwo

I wish I could get my daughter sleep in the car lol. She doesn't even nap anymore. We have 2 Marathons and will have 2 Regents. I think to start the plan may be one of each in each car and see how that goes.

scatterbunny

Yeah, for a car sleeper the MA is great, but my dd didn't sleep in the car, either, which was one more point for us in favor of the Husky when we got it for her (at 2.5). She still fit the MA, and would have fit in it for another 3ish years (and she's 90th+ percentiles for height and weight), but the Husky seemed a better deal for the price, and the longevity of use.

I can't wait till we can get one again. Hayley will be harnessed in it until she doesn't fit anymore, which I'm guessing will be around age 8.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
MomOfTwo said:
:) So if my daughters expires she should be able to use my sons for a while. Atleast in theory.

No...the seats will expire at the same time. So as soon as her's expires, so will her brothers and she would not be able to use it. But at that age, she should be able to move into a booster without any problems. It's not 6 years of use and they expire....it's 6 years from manufacture date...even if it's been sitting for 2 of those years.

M

MomOfTwo

I realize it is the manufacturers date not the years in use. Our will come with a date of March 2006. I used my words wrong I meant my son will probable be in a booster around the time he is 8 which still gives the seat about 1 1/2 years left on the seat which my daughter could use :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My 4 year old loves the Husky/Regent for non-sleeping rides, but when we drive almost 3 hours twice a week, she also gets frustrated with the lack of head support -- so, I got her the Recaro Young Sport with a foot rest & gave big sis back the Husky (she is thrilled, loves it much more than her booster!)

My stepdaughter had been out of a carseat since her 3rd birthday, but with me I'd kept her in a booster -- when I found the Husky, we did a living room floor role play in which we pretended to drive & have a crash ... so I flipped her out of the booster & then we did the same with the harness -- she realized how much safer the harness is, plus I showed her other kids harnessed past the minimum & took her to meet race car drivers who told her all about wearing harnesses :cool: (& they're on TV! LOL) 1st time riding in it she said it was much more comfortable than her booster, plus she can buckle it easier than her booster -- I just have to make sure it's tight enough.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC