The Duggars

U

Unregistered

I do know one thing. What if the Duggars come across this post? I think they would be more receptive to the good advice and questions asked out of curiosity if the opinionated and mean, hurtful comments could be removed.

ADS

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
I just watched the one about the house. Besides the car seat and safety issues it looks like they really do care about the kids. They have a slide in their house from the bedroom to the playroom! They really let the kids have a say in the house. I wish someone could actually help them and teach them about CPS and hopefully they would get new seats. They don't have to all be Britax but at least something for all the kids under 6 and a new bus with lap and shoulder belts.

It looks like they bought seats for the first few kids as needed but then just kept handing them down to the the next kid. Maybe they just don't know they need new seats.

Rachel

scatterbunny

I actually liked the slimming version. :) They all have snaps between the legs to make it easier to swim, and then you just unsnap when you're out of the water.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
I do know one thing. What if the Duggars come across this post? I think they would be more receptive to the good advice and questions asked out of curiosity if the opinionated and mean, hurtful comments could be removed.

I have to agree whole heartedly...:(

super_grape

You know, I thought after I posted that it probably did sound mean
and I am sorry...not what I intended at all:( ...sometimes it's hard to convey
exactly what I'm thinking w/o tone of voice and facial expression and
I often don't choose the most appropriate words to express what I feel.

I am sure they are very nice people who are trying to do their best
to raise their kids properly....I do think their buddy system is kinda
cool, teaches their kids responsibility and I'm sure it's a must in a
large family.
It's kind of sad that she has 16 kids and is more organized than I am
with only 2:eek: .

Holly

scatterbunny

super_grape said:
It's kind of sad that she has 16 kids and is more organized than I am
with only 2:eek: .

Holly

I totally agree. I only have one, and I am nowhere near as organized and calm as she is. I really look up to her as a mom, from what I've seen--all except for the carseat stuff. And I can't fault someone for simple ignorance. If they don't know, then they don't know. Lots of folks don't know (at one time, I sure didn't). Hopefully the email(s) they receive will make a difference.

I actually hope Michelle pops into the board, it would be a fun challenge to work out the seating arrangements/carseats/boosters for their vehicles and children.

LuvBug

I actually think the older ones buddying with the younger ones is good practice for the older ones to become parents. Today SO MANY people become parents not knowing what to expect(or expecting what they see on TV shows and soap operas) and end up frustrated and at whits end and not knowing what to do.

I dont think it is them who are odd or doing something abnormal, I think it is the rest of the US who are odd and doing the abnormal, because the US has changed so much in so little time. It wasnt that long ago that people in the US lived that lifestyle and thought it was the only way. If more families were as close and good at sharing responsibilities maybe we would have less of the horrible things we have to deal with today.

I still wouldnt wear a dress though! :p

super_grape

"I dont think it is them who are odd or doing something abnormal, I think it is the rest of the US who are odd and doing the abnormal, because the US has changed so much in so little time. It wasnt that long ago that people in the US lived that lifestyle and thought it was the only way. If more families were as close and good at sharing responsibilities maybe we would have less of the horrible things we have to deal with today.

I still wouldnt wear a dress though!"

Very true, very true...both my great grandparents were from
VERY large families and that's just how it was. My Great Grandma
tells me that when she was tall enuf to stand on a chair and reach
over the table she was helping her Mom make biscuits:) .

And I do think it's possible to be modest in jeans:D .

It's funny, when I was 17 I babysat for 2 families that had 7 and 9
kids each and I thought that was perfect! I wanted to have 8-10
kids and even had their names all picked out....now I swear my
2 year old alone is about to do me in!!!

U

Unregistered

Oh What I wouldn't give to have my older ones help out more!
I would be so nice to take a shower....alone....just once, without hearing,
"Mom! So-and-so is (pick one): torturing the cat, squeezing ketchup on the floor, peeling wall paper, eating dog food, letting the sink overflow, jumping on the sofa, etc.....
I don't want them to be a 'second mother' but taking on a LITTLE responsibility sure would be nice!

Also, I wonder what pregnancy has done to that poor woman's BODY!
I'm a mess after three! - I can't even imagine!!!!

U

Unregistered

I am watching the show "Raising 16 children" after reading this thread I decided to check it out. The family was going on vacation in a rv and they seemed to have several of those cheap ff only harness/booster seats. Unfortunatley, several had twisted straps, the chest clips were all over the place, and one child was very young (maybe 5-6 months?). Several other children looked like they should still be in a booster, yet no child had a seatbelt - I don't believe that dad did either! THIS REALLY BOTHERED me. They know better, and if they don't know better about the carseat part then they should have done their homework. I feel like parents have an obligation to learn. I did not know when my son was first born, but I did the research. For that matter no research is required for much of it - just read the directions! I also saw some seats in the van tilted sideways and all over the place. I respect their commitment to their lifesyyle choice, and especially to living debt free, but it bothers me that they seem to come across as superior or something to the rest of us. I read her comments on each child being a blessing, a gift - and I agree, but she seemed to imply that they were being rewarded for their life with children. I know alot of very good (and religious) women who have not been blessed, and alot more folks who certainly don't deserve or even desire children that have been profusely blessed with(if you know what I mean). Anyway - all the shows, articles, the website and then the judgementalness that I felt from their comments really bothered me. Thanks for letting me vent.

scatterbunny

Unfortunately no one is really safe in an RV except for the people up front using lap/shoulderbelts. If the rear seats have seatbelts they are rarely bolted to the frame of the car, but instead routed through plywood! :eek: So, they all would have been slamming into each other had a crash occurred. :( RVs are scary.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I saw the new episode tonight also. It did look like the seats they were using in this one were not expired seats at least. I was happy to seat that. I wish a few of us tech's could take a road trip with a new van full of brand new seats and do a family van giveaway, and car seat check. Then have the discovery channel film it and make it a special. Wouldn't that be wonderful, good press for us and safer ride for the family...

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I wish we could convince them to go see a tech on air. There must be some way to pitch it to them to make them think about all the lives they may save buy visiting and you know how god likes ppl who saves lives. :) J/K

I have to agree with unregistered (not all of it but most) they do some somewhat self righteous and some of the ways they talked about stuff it made it seem as if you did anything else you were not as good as they were.

I dont intend to be mean, i'm sure if we were in reverse and i was on TV pregnant, unmarried, and living in sin she would be discussing me and my choices with her friends and kids. I disagree with a lot of her life choices and i'm sure she'd disagree with mine. My family is catholic and my parents did have several siblings and my grandparents had even more but that was before we knew so much about birth control and fertility tracking! I was one of the first to use medical birth control in my family but nearly all of my aunts and cousins have been able to space their kids more than one year. It cant be good for her body to constantly go thru a cycle of pregnancy and breastfeeding and then pregnant right away again.

I wonder who gets up with the kids at night if they cry and who changes the sheets if the wet the bed. She says after they are weaned they get a buddy to care for them, does that mean the buddy takes over mom's duties so she and daddy can make more kids? If thats how it works she can send me one of her kids (we recently had a bed wetting incident, my first, and i was not impressed.)

I wonder if she will teach her daughters any sort of birth control for when they are married? I hope so, i can remember when i first starting .... and had limited knowledge on how to prevent pregnancy (thank god for the net!) They may be great little mommies but i doubt they really want to get pregnant during their honeymoons!

I dont mind skirts if they stop at least an inch above my knees or go to the floor and are cut well. I have an oddly shaped body and am short i dont need an awful boxy dress making matters worse (and yes, i dont mind drawing attention to my body, even pregnant i think its not a bad body and it is just as ok to draw attention to it as it is my face.) I dont even think she wears maternity dresses, the ones she has are cut so large to draw attention to her face its hard to tell if she is or isnt pregnant!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I was taught to chart the month my cycle started (at 9 yrs old!) but at 14, i knew that it wasnt the way i wanted to protect myself. The pill is very safe to take if you dont have medical issues you doctor should screen you for. I did a load of research on it before i took it (catholics are told about all the evils it will do to your body, most of which turned up false). I have blood clotting issues but i also have endometriosis so my doctor and i made the decision to keep me on the pill to preserve my fertility.

I didnt know you couldnt use a car seat in the back of an RV! I was mad when i saw meeting the parents b/c they had the baby in an AO facing sideways but i didnt realize the seat belts werent safe. The update they showed on 15 kids and pregnant again a few days ago showed the baby and it looked like he wasnt in a seat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC