booster

M

mamabear23

My son is going to be 8 next month and is 65 lbs...not too sure on his height but when he sits in the van seat with his bottom against the back of the seat his knees bend over the seat and his feet lay flat on the floor. Does he need to be in a booster?

ADS
M

mamabear23

Thank you! I'll have to check on the belt positioning. By chance were you at the car check recently in Wheaton? It was at a chevy dealership.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Feb. 8 one at Jerry Haggerty Chevrolet on Roosevelt?

Indeed I was there.

I was one of the organizers for the event and was also one of the senior checkers. I also greeted some cars, ran the overhead doors and resolved problems so I only checked a few seats.

I think I had on a green jacket. Black curly hair and a black goatee.

If you attended, I'd appreciate your comments!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Even if he passes the 5-step test in your vehicle, you may need to keep a booster available for riding in cars with friends or relatives. Kids fit differently in different vehicles, and he probably won't pass the test everywhere yet.

M

mamabear23

Yep thats the one on Roosevelt.

I was driving along to my sisters house and saw the sign and decided to stop. I think it was ran really well. I love the phone number I recieved to call if I see any babies or kids out of there rightful seats. I will keep it handy.
I don't know if you remember a car that was checked...but it was a chevy Impala and it had 3 car seats in the back...I left before her inspection was done but was really curious if it passed. I would be interested in a roomy car like that...I have 2 car seats as of now and would really like to MAYBE move back to a car vs a van.

M

mamabear23

I thought maybe seat lengths and heights might be different and factor into needing the booster or not. I wish everything was regulated to be the same.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Some event details-

We checked 35 seats. 26 had some type of misuse. 4 were unsafe for some reason (broken, too old, etc) and we replaced 3 of them.

I have the checklist forms from the Impala in front of me; all three are listed as, "All corrections made." :)

I didn't check that car- it looks like the fine officers from Carol Stream did, and it was given a final check by Kathy, the other event organizer from the Wheaton Police Department.

If you'd like to know when the next events are, or want to find a fitting station for an appointment, please visit:

http://www.seatcheck.net
http://www.car-safety.org/safekids.html

We'd be happy to see if your son fits well in the seatbelts without a booster!

M

mamabear23

Wow I didn't know you replaced the seats! That's great! We did get a beanie baby!
I know the one seat the lady had in the middle of the Impala was a century accel, what were the 2 on the sides?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
More-

According to the sheets, she had 2 Britax Roundabouts on each side.

Most of our SAFE KIDS funds go to providing seats for low income families, usually through the county health department's office in West Chicago, or through the Care and Counseling center in Darien.

We do bring a few seats to events, just in case something obviously comes in that is unsafe to use. We don't advertise this, of course, since too many people that can easily afford a carseat will come up with a way to get a free replacement. That would reduce the number of seats we have for those who can't afford them:-( Fortunately, we have a number of boosters from the Ford Boost America program, but convertibles and infant seats are relatively costly.

We didn't advertise the Beanie Babies, either, but one was to be given to every kid that arrived in a carseat or booster. I think some of the technicians forgot to hand them out, though, especially when it was busy.

M

mamabear23

Well it was a nicely ran program. I'm glad that there were seats there to replace the bad ones, cause I would hate to say to someone "your seat is bad, but please buckle your child back in and when you can, purchase a new one." It must feel good to send a child off in a new, safe seat!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Actually-

In our training course, we are repeatedly told that the child should always leave the event safer then when they arrived:) There are many cases where we do advise the parent to buy a new seat, but it is a rare exception for a child to leave in an unsafe seat if we do have replacements to offer. Unfortunately, some events have no replacements to offer. Because of various budget cuts at the county health department and other public agencies, even our supply of seats and funds are getting very low.

I was at an event a couple years ago where the organizer had to send the parent away without a carseat. The parent arrived in a relatively expensive new van, but the child did not have a carseat. The parent expected a new one to be given to them. It was clear that the parents did not have a financial need, and I suspect that may have been part of the reason why they did not receive one. For that reason, we often only replace unsafe ones at an event. Usually, we request that the parent give us the old seat so that we may destroy it or use it for training. Fortunately, the county health department and Care and Counseling have strict income standards, which is why they do most of the low income distribution in the county...

Thanks again for visiting, and please tell all your friends about us:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC