Installation in '93 chevy astro??

U

Unregistered

Im starting a new thread because this is more about the installation and the other thread got long. C&P

http://www.analogstereo.com/pdf/om/1993astro.pdf

I found the manual online. Could someone take a look at page 20 of the PDF to see the photo of how the shoulderbelt does, then page 46 of the PDF to read how to install a seat.

It says to use the lap and shoulder for installation. We have the touring version which was 2 front captain chairs, 2 middle captain chairs, and a rear bench seat that reclined into a bed. The rear seat has been removed but the other seats are intact. The seatbelt unattaches like that because the seats can be rotated 360* in any direction to face any direction.

It also has info about the tether, Im going to look for one in the car, but I dont know where they would be?? All it says is if there is a top strap it needs to be secured.

Her van was awesome in its days. Had a TV and VCR, mood lights, air purifier, electronic everything. It wasnt a hightop van either, it had only a small mohawk on the top where all the wiring was held. Im pretty sure it even has front airbags(it was completely custom built lol!).

Also I thought it had ALR but now Im not sure. When I pull the 2 middle seat's belts out they sorta lock but not exactly. They lock if I pull at the even somewhat quickly, but if I go very slow and gentle they pull out. If I let them all the way back in they 'unlock' from that mode and move in and out freely.

Does this mean they use to be ALR and arent working properly? Or that they are sensitive ELR? Im figuring I will need to use a locking clip.(will be putting a graco cargo in)

ADS

j4m4d8

I did respond on your other post, but here goes:

The seat belts are ELR, but it appears from the manual that they have locking latchplates which don't need a locking clip. Is there a metal bar in the middle on the back of the latchplate? If so, it should stay secure. We have these in a 94 Suburban and they work well.

A 93 won't have tether anchors installed unless someone has previously had it done. If you want a tether anchor you will either need to have it installed or order the parts to install it yourself. Maybe someone with a LATCh manual could give you more information.

U

Unregistered

they definitely dont have locking latchplates, they dont have latchplates. They have the normal slit male end buckles like you see in newer cars.

Ive called about the top tether already and they are going to call me back. I am going to call again though and ask for someone else until I get someone who knows what I am talking about.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Are you sure it doesnt have locking latchplates in the rear seats? My fiance owns a 91 Beretta with the SAME (i swear identical) car seat section and his car had locking latchplates. The fornt seats in the van appear to have no free sliding latchplates. My parents had an astro van (mid 90's) and it had locking latchplates in the rear seats. I can take a photo of chevy's locking latch plate just to be sure if you want. Theirs looks a little different for the ones on the website about latchplates.

U

Unregistered

the rear seat is gone, all that is left are the 2 front captain and 2 middle captain and they have have the open slot male plates like you see in most cars now(you know the kind of slit in them like carseat buckles have, to just let the belt slide through).

U

Unregistered

I bought a new battery for my camera and will start charging it now, hopefully it will hold as my original battery died then the next one didnt charge at all. Im hoping its the batteries and not my camera.

Anyway Ill take a photo cause it is hard to explain.

skaterbabs

if you have the system I think you do, get thee to a tech NOW. ;)
it sounds like you have ELR retractors with a sliding latchplate, and if that's the case you need a belt shortening clip, whch is NOT easy to use properly.

U

Unregistered

no I definitely dont have a locking latchplate. I tried to charge my battery all night and its not taking a charge, I think its my camera and not the battery. I will try to find some AAs to use and get a quick shot.

U

Unregistered

ok I found some AAs, here are photos of the seatbelt on the seat it will be installed in.

buckled
130608579.jpg

loose
130608614.jpg

retractor
130608598.jpg

another pic to come, only allowed 3 in a post

U

Unregistered

I will definitely need to use the shoulderbelt when installing because it doesn't retract enough as a lap belt to get it tight on a carseat.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yes, if I were you I would definitely use the locking clip (I have used a locking clip even in vehicles with locking latch plate or ALR just because it sometimes gets the tightest fit, depending on the shape of the seat & carseat -- although usually only there's another kiddo who might fiddle with & unlock a latch plate) ... if you've lost the locking clip that came with the carseat you could call the manufacturer for a replacement or they're sometimes sold at Walmart :) When you've got it installed, you might also want to have it checked by a technician just in case: www.seatcheck.org

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Well I havent bought the seat yet, so I know I will have the clip lol! I always touch base on everything before I buy something and then I will buy it and try it to make sure it fits.

Im training to be a carseat tech in april and already know all the basics(from hanging out here the past 2 years and being that Im friends with the local techs). I always get a seat checked for a second opinion even if I know I have it right, just incase ya know? Like the husky, I used the longbelt path and get it in there so good but took it to be looked at because I hadnt done a husky before and wanted a second opinion for peace of mind. That is when they invited me to their invitation only free classes in april.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Babs, does this type of belt need a belt shortening clip?

I use one occasionally and it isnt easy. Many techs cant do it and most car seat manufactures no longer allow you to (when i called britax the guy practically laughed at me :) )

U

Unregistered

I dont think one is necessary for this one since it is for sure an ELR open loop continuous lap/shoulder belt. A regular locking clip is what will be needed, which is good.

Ill reopen this discussion once we get the seat ready for installation and let you know how it went and of course will get it checked(unless by the time I get it in Im a certified tech myself, but then Ill probably get a second opinion like I do on everything).

scatterbunny

Dreaming_of_Speed said:

I use one occasionally and it isnt easy. Many techs cant do it and most car seat manufactures no longer allow you to (when i called britax the guy practically laughed at me :) )

No, a belt-shortening clip should only be used with sewn-on latchplates. She just needs a locking clip.

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/lockincss.aspx

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/csr2001/csrhtml/seatBelts.html

U

Unregistered

Dreaming_of_Speed said:

In techs defense here :) we are required to know how to do it to get certified but it is so rare that a vehicle needs one it's hard to stay in practice. I can't remember the year off the top of my head but it was older model vehicles anyway that you needed them. I have never heard of a car seat manufacturer not allowing one in a vehicle that requires them. IE:non locking belt w/ sewn on latch plate. So far I have only seen one IRL and it was the front seat of Ford utility van DOM early 90's.

I agree they are difficult to get the hang of and if you had a vehicle needing one it would be best to have a tech (or instructor if needed) teach a parent how to do it but once learned it's not that complicated. Not to scare anyone who might need one in their vehicle.

Jodi CPST

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC