5yo in a car with lapbelts only in back...

H

hvgeobbels

5yo in a car with lapbelts only in back...

We have an 88 Topaz with lap belts only in the back. My 5yo is 45 in tall and 43 lb. He is currently in a FP Futura 20/60 with the overhead shield. I just noticed yesterday that the top of his shoulders are even (just a tiny bit above) with the slots that the harness straps come out of. It is my understanding that a child outgrows a forward facing seat when his shoulders are above the slots that the harness straps come out of. As far as his ears being below the top of the seat he has plenty of room.

This car has shoulder belts only in the front and they are of the motorized variety that are not attatched to the lap belt. I also have two older boys almost 10yo and 8yo who sit on one side of the FP seat or in the front seat passenger seat with the shoulder belt (no airbag on passenger side). We don't take the kids in this car frequently as it is our 2nd car, but sometimes logistics require it.

What are my options (other than buying another vehicle-we don't have the money for that right now)? I am dissapointed that my son may be outgrowing the FP by height long before reaching its weight limit. I mean he *just* outgrew the seats with the 40 lb limit between June and August. In our other vehicle I had just removed the harness straps from his harnessed booster in August. The FP was bought so he could ride in a carseat a bit longer in the 88 Topaz. Now that doesn't look like it will be the case.

Cherie in PA

ADS
C

Caviller

One good option for you-

You can have shoulder belts retrofitted into your Topaz.

Please contact a Ford/Mercury dealer. The part number to reference is E83Z-5461200-B . The parts cost is estimated at $50, and it could be $100 in labor. So depending on the dealer, $100 to $200 total is a reasonable estimate. This will allow you to use a booster seat, and will be much safer for your older boys, too.

The Britax Super Elite or Husky is an option, though it is very big and expensive. In addition to the shoulder belts, you might also consider a Britax Laptop. These are hard to find, but local Right Start and Zany Brainy stores may still have them around $60. I have details and a link to a review you can read here:
pub59.ezboard.com/fcarsaf...ID=3.topic

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Darren

H

hvgeobbels

Re: One good option for you-

I checked our local Zainy Brainy store and they do have the Britax Laptop. The saleslady that seemed the most knowledgeable about their seats was not aware that the Laptop is being discontinued.

I have also contacted my local Ford dealership about retrofitting shoulder belts. I gave the parts fellow the part number and he couldn't tell from what it brought up in his computer if it was what I wanted or not. He called a dealership that had several in stock to ask about it and called me back. The part kit is $127 for the pair of shoulder belts and labor in their shop is about $55 per hour. I will be talking to my husband about this later today and hope to get the shoulder belts installed. (unless we just decide to avoid all use of this vehicle with the kids until we replace it in about 2yr-don't have enough money to do so right now).

I may still get the Laptop, so that I can still use the center rear position if I need to . There are five of us in our family and we very rarely (almost never) all travel together in this vehicle. At most it is me and 3 kids or dh and 3 kids. We use our minivan when all 5 of us travel together unless the van is in for repairs for an extended period which is rare.

Cherie in PA

C

Caviller

Glad to help!

Please let us know how it works, whichever way you decide!

Have a happy holiday season-

Darren

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC