More questions about installing my Britax RA - using a noodle for more recline

U

Unregistered

Thanks for your response below about Britax height limits for rear-facing. I have several more questions about my Britax RA install. This is for my 27 lb son and an RA rear-facing with tether anchored to front seat track.
1)When I install it rear-facing in my Camry it leans forward a bit too much to be comfortable. Probably close to 10-15 degrees with the tether. With a noodle in the seat crack I can get it much more reclined...probably somewhere in 20-30 range with tether...definitely way less, BUT, there is a portion of the base nearest the noodle that doesn't rest on the seat of the car..about a 1-inch vertical gap...is this ok...with my Safe Embrace I use noodles but most of the carseat base rests on the seat. I'll post my other questions separately. TIA

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Some ideas-

Generally, Britax recommends that you pull the tether tighter to increase the recline. Then, you may "fill up" the gap under the front of the carseat with a rolled towel or noodle. For some carseat/vehicle combinations, we find we have to use a "triangle" of three noodles bound to each other with duct tape...

As with any rear-facing carseat, you may have a small gap where the bottom of the carseat is neither on the noodle or the vehicle seat. That usually isn't a problem as long as the seatbelt is holding the carseat securely. If yours seems to have a large gap, you might try to schedule a free checkup by a certified technician. Use our resources at http://www.seatcheck.net to find one near you. Some technicians are not familiar with the rear-facing versa tether on the Britax seats, so you may need to ask for one who is, or even an "instructor" or "senior checker".

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You may need those noodles.

When I installed my Roundabout in my mom's '91 Camry, and later in a '01 Camry, I needed the triangle of pool noodles to get the recline adequate. That was also using the tether. I don't remember any gap under the seat or around the noodles, but the last time I installed the seat in a Camry was a long time ago.

One trick you may want to try is to put the seat in so the base is level. The recline handle on the Roundabout will be a couple of inches above the seat bight (the crack in the vehicle seat where the bottom cushion and the back cushion meet). The recline handle will be fairly well buried in the back cushion. Then you can attach the tether and tighten to get your desired angle of recline. Just fill the space underneath with a towel or noodle, as Darren suggested, or leave it if there's not much space.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC