Using two car seats properly?

U

Unregistered

I have a 32 pound child and an infant due this summer. I drive a compact SUV. Where should I place the child seats? Everything that I have read assumes that there is only one child seat in use at one time. Should I put the seats side by side (infant seat rear facing in the middle) or at extreme ends of the back seat (leaving the middle open)? There is no arm rest in the middle of the back seat. I have found no answers anywhere. Please help.

ADS

SPJ&E

Whatever works best for you is fine. Of course, the middle seat is the safest, BUT as long as both carseats are installed and used correctly every single time, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Since you will have one forward-facing and one rear-facing, putting them right next to each other MAY cause some problems, since older siblings tend to pick on the younger ones.

I have a 2-door Cavalier and have a rear-facing Marathon in the center and a Graco Snugride outboard (rear-facing obviously). That is the best arrangement for my needs, since I want my son to stay rear-facing and his little brother will need to be that way also.

Just play with the carseats and figure out what will work best for you and go with it!

Tara

Yeah, it really is about finding what works for you. With baby still being rear facing, they're actually quite safe outboard. So if you were to have the seats side by side, put the RF outboard and FF center. Other than that...just whatever is most convenient for you.

I have my newborn RF in a Snugride, outboard behind driver. His 2yr old sis is FF in a RA in the center next to him. Which allows us to keep the 3rd seat in that middle row open and folded down, to allow access to the third row...which houses 2 different boosters flanking a FF Marathon in the center.

See, convenience..the older kids can load and buckle well on their own in the rear. The 2 yr old can get in her seat quite well in it's center position,she's learning to get her own straps on, but one of the oldest 2 boys helps her get all buckled properly. (yes, they really do a good job at this too ;) ) And I can easily access the baby by the door without needing to stretch and reach across a seat.

SPJ&E

Tara said:
With baby still being rear facing, they're actually quite safe outboard. So if you were to have the seats side by side, put the RF outboard and FF center. Other than that...just whatever is most convenient for you.

I originally added that in my post, but took it out because the way I worded it just sounded strange! So ditto to that also!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC