Avg. age baby outgrows the Snugride 2???

super_grape

I went ahead and bought a Snugride 2 yesterday for the new baby...
looks like we'll be in Canada at least until the end of summer...and
I'm wondering how long this seat will fit the avg. baby.
My 2 year old who is 28 lbs. and 35" is about even with the top
of the shell.
Is it logical to conclude that the baby could stay in this seat for a year??
Just curious???

Holly

ADS

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Some do some don't. My nephew out grew his snugride (20 pound version) at just a few months old (4 or 5), on the other hand, my SIL according to her medical records could have used one until she was a year and a half! I think most babies outgrow it before a year but perhaps as your oldest is somewhat small your next baby will be too and you can use it longer.

KeikiHula

I think my boys are pretty average sized. Morgan outgrew his Evenflo infant seat at 13 months and Cody outgrew his Snugride (20lb version) at 12 months. So I think it's very reasonable that *most* babies could last a year in the SnugRide2. I am always amazed to hear of babies that only last a few months in their infant seats, b/c I don't think my boys were smaller than average at 12 months.

U

Unregistered

My 2 little ones outgrew the Snugride at age 5 mo and 4 mo. They're "off the charts" tall, but average weight.

KeikiHula

My kids are on the short side of average, but with really long torso's. Both of them hit 20lbs right about the same time their shoulders were even with the top harness slots. Their heads never get near the top of the shell though. I guess both of them have practically no necks. Turtle necks look like they are attacking them. lol
It's funny how kids are all so different.

super_grape

I always thought my DD was tall but now I
think she's pretty average.
She did outgrow her RA rfing before she hit 2
(her head was an inch below which was when Britax told me to turn her)
and when I turned her FFing she looked so big in the seat
but now that she's in the MA she looks tiny:) and I do remember
that at 9 months she could still fit in the LL20...we had stopped
using it when she was around 3-4 months in favor of the RA.

I would really like to get to use this seat until we move back
to the states. Then I can put her in the US RA and we'll
just have to buy a US MA for Katie (my DH is just gonna love that:p ).
He's so confused by the constant car seat shuffle:)...I do really
wish that there was one standard for both the US and Canada and that
what was good one place was good in the other...sure would make my
life easier!

SPJ&E

We bought a Snugride 2 for our second son (due in April) and I put our first son in it just to see about how long it would last us. He was 11 months old and about 30" and he still fit height wise. He was 22 lbs. 8 oz. though, so he was a little over the weight limit.

So height wise, it would have lasted him to at least 1 year, and weight wise, to about 10 months. The harness also fit him very well and he seemed very comfortable when I put him in it.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Here's Evan in it today. He's almost 19# and 28". About the size AJ was at 7 mos and he was about 75% then.

carseats007.jpg

U

Unregistered

My kids outgrew their SnugRides at 3.5 and 4 months respectively. The first by weight and height at the same time, the second by height.

super_grape

Thanks Everyone!

Well, assuming that this baby is similiar
in size to Katie we should be OK until the fall.

Now watch, I'll give birth to a 14 lber:eek: ...FEELS
about like she weighs that much now that she's
dropped:p....

Holly

skaterbabs

My 50% dd outgrew her SR by weight at about 9 mos, by height around 10 mos. With the higher limits you may well get close to a yearif you have a small child.

U

Unregistered

My problem wasn't necessarily height or weight limits set by manufacturer, rather the top slots were just too low at age 5 mo and 4 mo.

Tall babies are a bit of a problem for car seats, especially when you don't check here first before buying a seat with low top slots...

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
My problem wasn't necessarily height or weight limits set by manufacturer, rather the top slots were just too low at age 5 mo and 4 mo.

Tall babies are a bit of a problem for car seats, especially when you don't check here first before buying a seat with low top slots...

In a rfing seat (even convertibles), you need the strap slots AT or BELOW the baby's shoulders so there's no way to outgrow the straps in an infant seat. For the 22# seat, as long as there is at least 1" of room between the top of the baby's head and the top of the seat and baby is under 22#, they can still be safely in the seat.

jrv4babies

Snugride

It seems to me from all the reading I have done that many with big babies say they grow out by 5 mos or so, but many can stay much later.

I just had a boy in my child care grow out of his at 8-9 mos old and he is pretty average size.

I think someone already made this point, but I'm sure it would matter if we are talking about a snugride with the new ht/wt limits or an older model.

I can see your issue with wanting to stay in one seat while you are out of the country.

After lots of research my plan has been:
Snugride 1st
and whenever they grow out they should be able to go into a Marathon RF.

I figure this way, although expensive seats, at least I can conceivably have only 2 seats until 65 lbs assuming they don't grow out ht wise.
It seems from my reading that a child is not likely to grow out of a MA htwise until quite old.

Well, good luck!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I think that's a great plan "jrv4babies" ... my daughter outgrew our Evenflo infant seat by 4 months (head even with the shell, actually) - she's always been about 90th+ percentile for height. I wish I'd found our Britax Wizard at that point, but instead we went through the gambit with OHS convertibles that didn't fit securely :eek:

I've decided that for my next (we're just talking, not actually planning yet!) that I want the Snugride 2 simply for the fact that I could carry it inside (even if baby is too heavy for me to carry inside it, I'll use a sling for baby) to keep it warm on cold days or room temp on hot days ;) Then, hopefully our Two Way Plus/Elite (the Norwegian version, which I think is the one I'll find in Denmark) would last before expiration to keep baby RFing the longest, after which a new Regent would be in order before a dedicated booster ... sorry, I realize this is sort of a tailor-made plan, but I like to think outloud ahead of time :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC