car seat in moving van

C

cryptogrrl

My family is moving to another state about 800 miles away. By the time we move, my daughter will be 1 year old and able to face forward in her car seat. My question is whether we can put the car seat in a moving van (in the front seat, of course!)? The moving trucks won't say one way or another if it's ok, probably due to liability issues. The large moving trucks have belts for three adults. I don't know if there are airbags in moving vans or not. I wanted to check this out in plenty of time before our move in case I need to make different arrangements to transport her.

Thanks!:)

ADS
M

MyAngelsAliandPeanut

I would make other arrangements. First of all, a drive that long would make me nervous having a child in the front seat. Second of all, your child should not be forward facing just because she is one year old. That is a bare minimum, and it's 1 year AND 20lbs. However, a child should be kept rear facing as long as possible, up to 35lbs. Here is the information on extended rear facing, it is SO much safer.

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

My oldest daughter will be 3 years old in February and she is still rear facing in her Britax Boulevard... she is 27lbs and 34 inches. Her just turned 2 year old sister is also still rear facing in the Boulevard at 25lbs and 32 inches. They will probably be that way until they are 4 at the rate they are growing. :)

C

cryptogrrl

Thanks!

Thank you for the link. Very interesting info and I'm surprised that my pediatrician didn't inform me of this! Thanks again!

skaterbabs

Unfortunately, this is a subject that the vast majority of pediatricians just do not know anything about. I can't tell you the number of parents who have said to me "my ped said he could face forward because he can hold his head up and is 20 lbs." (at any where from 4 to 9 mos.)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'd call the carseat manufacturer to ask about installing in a moving van....

Here are my other favorite rear-facing info links:The American Academy of Pediatrics & the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration both have policy statements that recommend children stay rear-facing until they reach the maximum weight/height requirements ... some countries require kids stay rear-facing until 3+ years old because of the dramatic safety advantage & there has never been a single recorded case of leg/foot injury from extended rear-facing, but far too many cases of neck/spine injury from forward-facing too soon :( Car accidents are the #1 cause of death for children, so I like to think of it like this: even if it seems outrageous to some who aren't as aware of the full extent of the issue, my kiddo deserves for me to folllow the maximum requirements, not merely the minimum ;)

my3girls

Very well put papooses! But I wanted to add: Riding in a car is the riskiest thing my kids do, and they do it everyday. It's my job as their mother to keep them as safe as I know how to do. Before I knew about extended rear facing, I waited til my dd was 1 and turned her around, but now that I know better, I do better!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC