Carseat and Car Model Compatibility List?

Twin_Mummy

Hi,

I'm a newbie here and need to move my twins into new carseats soon as they are approaching the end of use on their Britax Roundabouts. My daughter has complained for well over a year that her back hurts while riding in the Roundabout so we are unlikely to purchase another Britax because of this.

Today we tried installing a Sunshine Kids Radian 80 via the latch and top tethers into our car. A salesperson at the store did the installation (or tried to :rolleyes:) but didn't get inside the car and apply any weight to the seat to pull the tethers tightly. As a result, I was in a skirt and not wanting to hike it up in front of a male sales guy.

So, does any know if the Radian 80 is compatible with a 2007 BMW X5 (the rear headrests do not remove) and if there is a list anywhere that shows seats that work with the different vehicles?

Oh and if anyone can recommend something (NON-Britax) that will allow us to fit two carseats plus an adult in the backseat, that would be great!

Thanks much!

ADS

lovinwaves

The Britax seats are one of the most recommended seats on this forum. How old is your daughter to tell you her back is hurting? It could be that any seat is going to make her uncomfortable. Is she ff'ing or rf'ing. Maybe changing the angle of her seat will make her happier.

Pretty much all child restraints have the same kind of seat back. Some have more padding than others. I honestly thing my Marathon would be more comfortable than the Radian. Have you sat her in the Radian?

Does she complain immediately in the Britax, or after a long car ride? Do you have the grey foam between the seat cover and shell?

Twin_Mummy

Hi,

My twins are 4, but petite for their age at 38" tall (so two inches to go on the Roundabout height limit) and she weighs 30lbs. Her twin brother is 38" and 27lbs. Both are FF.

We've tried different seat angles with both my car (it has an adjustable seat angle for almost infinite positions) as well as with her actual carseat. I don't think it is the seat back that is hurting her but rather the way the seat bottom on the Britaxes are shaped (angeled down toward the seat back). She liked the Radian and other seats that don't have that angle.

I must be able to fit a third adult sized person in the back seat so carseat size is important (meaning I can't do the Regent which doesn't have that angle).

I am big Britax fan, however, I don't want to shell out the money for something that's going to get us more backache complaints. She has actually been complaining about this for close to two years...shortly after she turned two and adding some padding on her back doesn't help...she will take it out and wedge her arm in behind her. She complains almost immediately (within five minutes of being in the car).

lovinwaves

Can you fit an adult in that row with the two Roundabouts?

The Radian is going to very narrow and I think would be the best seat for your situation.

You never want to put any kind of padding behind the child.

In the meantime, you could put them rear-facing again. That might make her more comfortable. You can do anywhere from 45degrees to 30 degrees(very upright).

My kids are more comfortable rear-facing, so that might just work for her to give you some time before you buy new seats.

Twin_Mummy

She is too tall to sit comfortably rear facing, unfortunately. We did try this.

Yes, we can fit an adult (semi-comfortably) with the two Roundabouts, by putting the carseats side by side.

Ideally, the Radian is the perfect solution but I am not able to find out (yet???) if someone else has been able to successfully install it in my model car. I think one of the issues is that the headrests in the rear seat (which say they are removable in the manual, but don't appear to be in reality) don't raise up enough or sit flush with the seat back to allow a tight/flush install.

Thanks!

dd9736

I couldn't find out if anyone had managed a radian install in my truck, so I went to the store and got one, (they'll let you return it if you haven't taken the tags off) and tried it in the truck. I was amazed at how easy it was to install considering that so many ppl say they have problems. also I think Toys r us will let you bring the seat out to your car before you buy it (with a sales person obviously) to see if it will fit.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
She is too tall to sit comfortably rear facing, unfortunately. We did try this.

Yes, we can fit an adult (semi-comfortably) with the two Roundabouts, by putting the carseats side by side.

Ideally, the Radian is the perfect solution but I am not able to find out (yet???) if someone else has been able to successfully install it in my model car. I think one of the issues is that the headrests in the rear seat (which say they are removable in the manual, but don't appear to be in reality) don't raise up enough or sit flush with the seat back to allow a tight/flush install.

Thanks!

The Radian definitely doesn't have the curve of the shell that the britax convertibles have. I posted to you on the other thread about vehicle headrests, suggesting that you check your vehicle manual under the child restraint section to see if it specifies a position for the vehicle seat back. In our truck it has to be reclined. (We have fixed immovable headrests in our 2nd row.)

Anyways, the best way to find out would be to go to a store and try one as the pp suggested. Last I heard Toys R Us doesn't carry them, but I think Target.com might have them and they will allow you to return them to a local store, so you wouldn't be paying return shipping. You might try calling a few baby boutiques and seeing if they carry them.

And if you can fit an adult next to 2 roundabouts, you should definitely be able to fit an adult with 2 radians since it's the narrowest 5pt seat currently available.

Twin_Mummy

Anyways, the best way to find out would be to go to a store and try one as the pp suggested.

Already did this (see my original post) but the sales person who attempted this was quite lame and suggested I take it to a certified tech but then told me if it didn't work, I wouldn't be able to return the seat :rolleyes:. The only place that sells them near me is 1+ hours away in favorable traffic, so I was hoping someone here might drive my same car (BMW X5) and be able to lend their input.

Thanks!! :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Already did this (see my original post) but the sales person who attempted this was quite lame and suggested I take it to a certified tech but then told me if it didn't work, I wouldn't be able to return the seat :rolleyes:. The only place that sells them near me is 1+ hours away in favorable traffic, so I was hoping someone here might drive my same car (BMW X5) and be able to lend their input.

Thanks!! :)

Sorry, I'd forgotten that part of your post. :eek:

Have you checked your vehicle manual in the child restraint section about if there's anything specific like reclining the vehicle seatback? Many bench seats have a slight recline that puts the back of the seat back maybe a couple inches at most, but this is enough to eliminate the headrest interference. (Ours is a 60/40 split, not sure what the 07 X5 is like...)

Did the headrest look like it was in the way of tightening down the radian? It sounds like the guy just really didn't try.. if the headrests weren't in the way, the radian is almost always compatible with a LATCH installation.

What about ordering online from somewhere with free shipping and a good return policy? That might work better for you if that other store isn't going to allow a return but isn't really giving you an opportunity to know for certain if it'll work.

Here's the car seat compatibility site: (Carseat Data website closed - link broken)
Is the body style for the 2007 X5 the same as the 2006? A tech has had the decathlon installed in a 2006 and marked it as compatible... if the decathlon will install well, then the radian won't have a problem with the headrests assuming that it's the same interior... I'm not sure when the body was revised though. So anyways, if it's the same interior, then you can likely count on the radian installing well with LATCH anyways.. I can't predict about the seat-belt - although pictures of your seat belt stalks/seat bite might help us be able to hazard a guess... You're twins are pretty light though, so would have a ways to go before hitting the latch limit.

The 2007 X5 isn't in the database yet, and probably won't start to display until somebody adds data for it. With newer vehicles it's harder to find someone who's had experience installing different seats in them - especially if there's been a body style change. That is probably why you're not getting many people able to tell you what has and hasn't worked for them.

Twin_Mummy

Hi and ooops! My car is a 2006, NOT an '07!

Just wanted to update everyone and let them know that I did drive to a different store today and had a great sales person who spent a lot of time with me testing out two Radian 80s in different seating positions in my car and it DID work.

In fact, she/I were able to install the seats more solidly than my Roundabouts. These things won't even more a millimeter, let alone a half inch.

The real test will be with my daughter's back and if it hurts her.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and feedback, you've all been EXTREMELY helpful! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC