Top tethers and headrests

partridge

I have a Volvo S60 and I'm installing a Recaro Young Sport into one of the rear outboard positions and I have a few questions.

I'm using the outboard position because the Volvo only has the isofix lower fixtures in the outboard positions. The vehicle owner's manual does not specifically prohibit using the isofix connectors for the middle position, but I don't know if it's ok to use them (i.e the most inboard of each pair).

My problem is with the headrests. The headrests do not adjust for height, but they do fold forward. I can't fit the upper tether under the headrest, so I have it routed over the headrest.

My only other option is to use the middle rear position, but unless I can use the latch tethers I'd have to use a seatbelt install.

What's my best bet here? Keep it in the outboard position and looped over the headrest, or move to the middle position and either use the seatbelts or the lower tethers from each side. One thing to note is that I have the sport seats which means that the outside positions have very deep buckets. I can get a super tight install in the outboard positions, but in the middle the seat feels somewhat 'perched'.

ADS

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Best bet is to install it in the center with the seat belt. It sounds as though Volvo doesn't allow use of the inner anchors. If it did, it'd be clearly indicated in the manual, but then you have to make sure Recaro is ok with it.

If you're not sure that you can get it installed correctly in the center, then I'd recommend visiting a CPS tech for help. "Perching" isn't necesarily bad, but you just need to make sure that the car seat is in correctly and has proper contact with the vehicle seat.

When it comes to the tethers, check with your Volvo's owner's manual. They may want you to wedge the tether clip underneath or they may be ok with it going over the top. I would, however, tend to think that going underneath is better, as there is less webbing involved that can get out of place.

Michelle

M

Mori

We have an '02 s60 and also put a seat in the outboard position because the main driver couldn't get in the car with it in the middle because it's just not that big a car (we're rear facing). The manual is suprisingly vague--it doesn't even mention LATCH (I pulled it out yesterday. Now that I think of it, it may have a second book just for carseats/kids. I'll have to look.)

Anyway, the seat installs just fine without the isofix feature. We haven't had to do the tether on the back, but there has to be a way to route the tether because they do have the hooks. Just need go find someone who knows how! (And then you have to let the rest of us know!)

By the way, did you have your seat tethered when you had a rear facing one? If so, what to? Thanks!

partridge

Well, this afternoon I tried out a center seat install with the seatbelt and top tether and it was a definite no-go. Between the shape of the seat, the size of the hump due to the deep buckets (sport seats), and the interaction with the fold down armrest (the armrest gets pushed back into the seat by the carseat back and doesn't give a stable purchase).

With the isofix points in the outboard position I can get the seat in tight enough that it almost doesn't move at all. I have the top tether installed over the headrest, but I can't even move the carseat forward at all even before the top tether is installed. It's in that solid. So it stays in the outboard position for now.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is it really not possible to put the tether under the headrest? I really think there's a gap between the seat and the headrest, and that the tether hook should be able to feed through it...at least, that's what lots of other people's experiences with Volvos are... But no worries, sounds like you have a great install... tethers should be taut, but don't have to be cranked down tight enough to damage the top of the headrest :)

partridge

joolsplus2 said:
Is it really not possible to put the tether under the headrest? I really think there's a gap between the seat and the headrest, and that the tether hook should be able to feed through it...at least, that's what lots of other people's experiences with Volvos are... But no worries, sounds like you have a great install... tethers should be taut, but don't have to be cranked down tight enough to damage the top of the headrest :)

The problem is that the headrest has almost no gap at all and the portion of the tether that would pass through the gap happens to include the buckle. I could have the tether more horizontal in the middle position where there is a more traditional headrest, but then the install isn't as solid at all. I think part of the problem is the seating package I have with the car, which has much deeper buckets than usual. Snug the seat into the bucket and it's very happy indeed, but put it between and it's horrible.

Are there any other alternate tether straps that can be used? A hook with the buckle just a few inches further away would work fine under the headrest.

groovymom2000

I have a 04 Volvo wagon, and my headrests are similar...

I was reinstalling Elliot's Husky today and I double checked--there is no gap whatsoever under the headrest. Because of the angle that the tether comes out---I have the tether running on either side of the headrest and down to the tether anchor. (I really should take a picture of it.) The last check I had done the tech said that was fine, but I will ask again on Monday(donating the RA to a CPS instructor for training). There really is no way to wedge underneath the headrest though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC