MA-can it be reclined FF

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Can I recline the britax marathon FF?If so, how?

Yes, you can... the same way you recline it for rearfacing. It can only be reclined forward facing up to 33lbs... since the rearfacing limit is 33lbs, I just prefer to have them rearfacing. It's safer for them that way.

singingpond

I tried reclining it by pulling that bar in the center bottom but nothing happened. It didnt budge

The 'recline' mechanism isn't for use while the seat is installed -- not sure if that's what you're trying to do? You have to choose which setting you want (based on what's allowed in the manual also), and then install. As others said, you can install FF with the seat in the reclined setting, but only up to 33 pounds (I think that's what I recall from reading the manual recently, but best double-check yourself)... most people here prefer just to stay RF up to that 33 pound limit anyway, as long as there isn't some over-riding reason to FF sooner in a specific situation.

Katrin

keri1292

:yeahthat:
I thought that it was an on the fly feature at first, as well. I pictured reclining it for a napping child and snapping it upright when they woke up. I quickly discovered that a properly installed seat isn't going to do this.
What is your kiddos age and weight?
My boys are 3 and 4 and still happily RFing. And they sleep in the car A LOT! :love: I love a quiet car.

ETA:
I just looked up your past posts to see how old your child is. She is a tiny little baby. Just turned one/19lbs in May, right? Please turn her back around. There is no reason for a baby that little to be FFing. In fact, her body is trying to tell you so. That's why she's not fitting nicely in a FFing seat. She's too little!

raychie33

She fits nicely in it. I would want to RF her but my husband doesnt want her rear facing any more. He says she is much happier FF where she can see us. (she is happier!)What can I do???

keri1292

Umm...tell him that she's more likely to be internally decapitated/suffer spinal cord damage/injured in general in an accident? How much happier will she be when she's paralyzed/wheelchair bound?
My husband isn't one for research. He's a happy little sheep. :love: Therefore, I make ALL the parenting decisions unless he opposes. Then, I tell him to do the research and give me his best shot. Then, one of two things happens...
1. He does the research but, can't find respectable/accurate/unbiased info on "his" side.
2. He never bothers to do the research and forgets about the conversation. :p
You should have seen the circumcision debate at our house!!! :eek:
I'm sure that you adore your child and I don't want you to feel that I've been rude. It's just that your child is still really small. Does he know that you 're going against the American Academy of Pediatrics advice? That it could be illegal if your state has a proper use clause? Have you shown him the crash footage comparing RFing and FFing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8
If you want more info to show him, post a new thread. The techs here will give you some lovely information that he couldn't ignore. :thumbsup:

Dillipop

My baby cried when I wouldn't give her a steak knife. That doesn't mean I was wrong to keep it away from her.

Rear facing is much, much safer. LINKS:
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
http://cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

lol! You crack me up Ulrike!

I agree with the other posters- if your child is under 33 pounds and you need the seat in the recline position to make it fit her well, she should definitely be rearfacing. It really is that much safer for the little ones, especially those under 2.

raychie33

Showed my husband your reply posts-he says that in three years they will come out with a report saying FF is much safer-docs keep changing their opinions.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right. Well, I'm sure you love your husband, but in this case he's being a butthead. In Sweden, where they have the lowest child mortality due to vehicular collisions they've been RFing their children to 50 pounds for years. This isn't a passing trend. In fact, he may notice that in the last 10 years the RFing limits for carseats has gone from 20 pounds (which your daughter STILL isn't, even in 1990 it'd be wrong for her to be in a FFing seat. Hasn't the last 17 years had one or two advances in safety, like airbags and shoulder belts in all positions?) to 35 pounds, with rumors of 40 pounds coming. Companies certainly aren't going to spend money on testing and production for something that isn't proven. Obviously they know something. And while I'm not at all for blind faith, if you trust the carseat to save your child's life, then maybe you should trust the carseat's manufacturer.

Anyway, spinal decaptitation is a real risk. I don't think his opinion matters, to be honest. Your daughter is in danger of her life. I agree with Ulrike, babies don't like knives and matches taken away, they're much happier playing with new things, but we as parents much look out for their safety. Our job is not to make them happy, that's a bonus. Our job is to make them safe and healthy. Your husband sounds like he's being her friend, not her father. That's fine in situations that are not life and death.

Wendy

keri1292

"Showed my husband your reply posts-he says that in three years they will come out with a report saying FF is much safer-docs keep changing their opinions."

The laws of physics should be the same in 3 years. Little baby + big head = ???????
I personally don't want to find out what the possibilities are. And I have the peace of mind knowing that I'm doing the best that I can with the knowledge that I have. If the worst should ever happen to my child, I will be able to look her in the eye or close the casket knowing that I could not have changed the outcome and did the best I could.
He is right on one thing though. They do change the recommendations. And they've never gone back on their word. They just keep upping the weight/age.
Did he see the you tube video??? :confused: The difference in the dummy between the crashes??? Physics don't lie. It's a black and white issue. RFing is safer for her. :twocents:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Showed my husband your reply posts-he says that in three years they will come out with a report saying FF is much safer-docs keep changing their opinions.

I respectfully disagree. Crash dynamics and the physics of rear facing safety are not opinions or trendy fads, they're universal and immutable facts that can seriously impact your lives and your child's in the unfortunate event of a crash.

ThreeBeans

Ask your husband how doctors plan to change the laws of physics in three years! Wow! I mean..that's some seriously impressive stuff....what they can do in medical schools these days.

Good grief. No offense, but your husband is being a dunderhead. Tell him unless he plans to earn a degree in physics and show you with diagrams how the baby is safer forward facing, he needs to sit down and shaddup. His wilfull ignorance is endangering the life of your child. I'll go out on a limb and guess you prefer your child's head attached to her body?

raychie33

yaaaaaay!!!!I got him to agree to go rear facing at least a little bit longer-then we will have to take it from there.Thanks for your input

keri1292

Score!!! Try to make it to two as the minimum. He may forget all about this debate by then. Yes, recline it first. Feed the belt under the cover and the foam, thru the other side and buckle. Here's a good RFing tether thread.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=16776&highlight=rear+facing+tethering+page
She can be more upright now since she's older, that'll give you more leg room and keep her happy too.
I'm glad you pushed for this. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC