My first seat check experiance......

Connor's Mom

I went to a local Safe Kids inspection station today to have the install on my Regent checked. I was fairly confident in the install under the new guidelines but I just wanted to have it double checked by a tech. Well, it was pretty much a waste of my time but hopefully I helped them out, lol. :cool: Out of the 5 techs there only 2 had even seen a Regent and those 2 where unaware that it harnessed to 80lbs. :confused: One of them asks "are you aware that there was a recall on these seats?" I tried informing her that it was not a "recall" it was an "advisory" and she kept trying to argue the recall with me saying that she had gotten something in an email last week. Luckily I had come prepared. I had printed all the letters regarding the advisory off the Britax web site which she read and asked to keep, I let her. She stated that the thing that she had read had not come from Britax and it was not very detailed. But even after reading the paper work she was still not getting it all and both techs where confused about the LBP/SBP thing.
She and the other tech that had seen a Regent before stated that they had installed one earlier in the week at another check and did it using LATCH and NO recline bar. I asked her if she knew the DOM of the seat that they had helped install and she said that she could not remember. I told her that the recline bar must be used if the DOM was after 6/18 but she could not remember. Neither could remember the weight of the child to know if the correct LATCH method was used either. O'well, I know it might be hard to remember all of that if you are doing alot of checks.
Then much to my dismay they uninstalled my seat. Beings that none of them knew how to properly install it I had to show them both how to get it back in. Luckily, since I had played with it quite a bit it was much easier getting it back in this time and I was able to get it installed in less than 5 minuets. :D
Also none of them had ever seen the WHALE seat identification system in use. I have all the info typed up and fixed to the back or the seat with a current labeled picture of DS. I let them know that I had gotten my packets from the local PD for free and they had done a video on the news about it. I got the "I have never seen anyone actually use it" comment. :rolleyes:
One of the techs asked what other seats I had and I told her that we also have a MA. And she says "They harness to 50 pounds right?". I told her it was 65 pounds. They both said that they don't see alot of high weight harness seats and I kinda got the feeling that they thought it was strange when I said that I was hoping to get DS to at least 7 harnessed in the Regent. :confused:
They did have some Scenaras and what looked like Cosco Voyager HBB seats to give to parents that brought their kiddos in with seats that where in improper use so that was a good deal.
Everyone was VERY nice I just didn't think that they had the knowledge I would think that one doing seat checks would have. I know it is impossible to know every car seat out there but I would expect at least a basic knowledge of HWH seats. Just makes me want even more to become a tech myself. :)

ADS

canadianmom2three

This was very much like my experience...I actually booked a check to get help with installing my Radian, but after huffing and puffing for a while, the lady said, you know, he is old enough for a booster now. Great, Thanks...:rolleyes:

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Then much to my dismay they uninstalled my seat.

We have to... in order to check DOM and then look up recalls. I know it's a pain to those who have the seats installed really well and worked hard to do so, but - at seat check, that's not usually the case with most of them - LOL! :)

Connor's Mom

they are volunteers.

What does that have to do with it if they are CPSTs? I would think that a tech would know the info whether they are being paid or not. :confused: Like I said, there where 5 CPSTs and then there where 3 volunteers that where not techs helping get people signed in.

We have to... in order to check DOM and then look up recalls. I know it's a pain to those who have the seats installed really well and worked hard to do so, but - at seat check, that's not usually the case with most of them - LOL! :)

DOM on a Regent is on the front of the seat. It really wasn't that big a deal for me to re-install the seat but if I didn't know how to do it we would have been up a creek because they didn't know how to put it back in properly, lol.
As far as re-calls, they had no clue about the Regent advisory. I had to show them my paper work and the she asked to keep it so she would have it for refernece.

natysr

I have never heard of WHALE either. It looks like a great idea. I tried to google it in relation to California, and couldn't find anything. It looks like California is not one of the 35 states that recognize it. Any suggestion on how to change that? Does the legislature have to pass a bill stating that all local and state response agencies recognize it? Or could I just send the information to my local agency and ask that the info be passed up the food chain? or should I start with the CHP?

Connor's Mom

I would guess that you could start with CHP or your local EMS office. Like I said here is is done by the local PD so you might want to check there as well. :thumbsup:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Some volunteers are not actually certified, though -- they may have just finished their course, but many where I live are merely "practitioners" (supposed to be supervised by a tech, but from what I've seen the tech doesn't do that properly because s/he is probably just too busy)

I love WHALE & everyone I give it to uses it ... because I make sure they fill it out & put it on before they leave :cool:

I can understand why they'd uninstall the seat even if the DOM info is easy to find otherwise & even if it is seemingly installed correctly: for their own liability they may have a policy that they make sure it's installed correctly from start to finish :twocents:

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
I was just stating when people do things for free, they don't usually stay on top of all seats and all the rules. I was typing with one hand, thats why i said it so brief. I guess I just think we should be thankful for them being willing to help out.

Connor's Mom

Some volunteers are not actually certified, though -- they may have just finished their course, but many where I live are merely "practitioners" (supposed to be supervised by a tech, but from what I've seen the tech doesn't do that properly because s/he is probably just too busy)

I love WHALE & everyone I give it to uses it ... because I make sure they fill it out & put it on before they leave :cool:

I can understand why they'd uninstall the seat even if the DOM info is easy to find otherwise & even if it is seemingly installed correctly: for their own liability they may have a policy that they make sure it's installed correctly from start to finish :twocents:

I totally get that some of the volunteers are not actually certified but these guys/gals where. ;)

It is totally cool for them to uninstall the seat to check it and I can understand for liabilty reasons but, it would also be nice if they knew how to put it back in. And not even one of them looked at the manual even though they had only seen one other Regent before. :confused: They just took my word that I was doing it correctly (which I was). I have read that manual front to back several times, lol. :)

WHALE is great! I had mentioned it here before but some one posted back that most of the paramedics disregarded it because there was no way to verify that the child in the seat matched the info. :confused: So that is why I also put a current labeled picture on there too. :thumbsup:

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
It is totally cool for them to uninstall the seat to check it and I can understand for liabilty reasons but, it would also be nice if they knew how to put it back in. And not even one of them looked at the manual even though they had only seen one other Regent before. :confused: They just took my word that I was doing it correctly (which I was).

Yeah, I see your point here. Totally not cool... :cool:... In my class it was hammered into our head: Read the manual - the child restraint manual and the vehicle manual!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
In my class it was hammered into our head: Read the manual - the child restraint manual and the vehicle manual!

Ditto & it drives me absolutely bonkers when I hear of techs not even looking at either :hitselfonhead: unless they own the same seat/vehicle or or have already read it via internet/CD before the appointment, but....

I just tell parents to get those cheap sticker photos in the booths at game rooms or use sticky back tape to add their photos later -- better IMO that I make sure at least the contact info is on there when they leave my check even if the photo isn't yet :rolleyes:

lynsgirl

My SK coalition in SC didn't do the WHALE program, but we gave CHAD stickers out for each and every seat we checked :thumbsup:.

Misty-Bug

do they have that whale thing in canada? It is late and I didn't read through yet but it look like only the US. If I go to my local PD do you think they would know what I was talking about? I was wondering how to secure something to his car seat in case we were in an accident and I can't respond. I WANT THAT. Should I get it shipped to an american friend then sent here?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
do they have that whale thing in canada? It is late and I didn't read through yet but it look like only the US. If I go to my local PD do you think they would know what I was talking about? I was wondering how to secure something to his car seat in case we were in an accident and I can't respond. I WANT THAT. Should I get it shipped to an american friend then sent here?

The closest thing I've seen is the emergency info attachement thing that comes on/with the radian. The problem with using something like that in Canada, is if we don't have anything similar, then paramedics don't know to look for it and it may not be seen right away or might be passed over. I still think it's a good idea, but I don't know that I'd feel any safer with it IYWKIM? Heck, not all paramedics around here even check medic alert bracelets. :thumbsdown:

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
No matter what profession you look at, there will always be people less knowledgeable in that field than others. CPS Techs are no exception to that rule. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Consider reporting the techs to SK.

Being a volunteer has absolutely no bearing on whether a tech keeps up with current knowledge. I know paid and volunteer techs who are up to date on every issue and paid and volunteer techs who wouldn't recognize LATCH if it hit them in the face. Being a volunteer never excuses a certified tech from keeping up with current practices. Never.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ahem...did I tell you so? Ahem, I told you so! I knew this would happen! Did they invite you to take the class and become one of them? Sounds like they could use you :)

Connor's Mom

Ahem...did I tell you so? Ahem, I told you so! I knew this would happen! Did they invite you to take the class and become one of them? Sounds like they could use you :)

I know you told me so, lol. :p
I had already asked for the class brochure because I am interested in taking the class. Not only for the knowledge but is may get me a pay bump at work, lol. :D They did seem very interested in getting me signed up though.

And I agree griffinmom. Like I said in a PP, what does it matter whether you are doing it for free or getting paid. Even if you are a volunteer you should be able to provide up to date info and if you don't know anything about a seat you should say so. For me it just defeated the purpose of driving 20 miles in the pouring rain with my 2 year old in tow. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC