Help with transition from Rear to Front Facing

H

hlgcaolcom

Help with transition from Rear to Front Facing

Hi,
I am looking for some guidance as we are thinking of transitioning my son from rear to front facing. He is almost 13 months old and weighs 21 pounds. He continues to ride read facing and seems relatively content. I know that I am allowed to move him, but was just wondering was there any research that he would reamin safer if left rear facing? Help?? I would love to see his handsome face in something besides my rear view, but want him to be the safe as possible.

ADS
C

Caviller

Some Research

Rear-facing is safest. Not only is this safest in a frontal crash because the back and head are completely supported over a wide area, but studies also show you also gain more side impact protection while rear facing. If you need research, here's a good place to start:

H

hlgcaolcom

rearfacing transition

thank you so much..... we have a fisher price safe embrace and the weight restriction is (i believe 40 pounds). If leaving the child rear facing is so much safer, why is everyone is such a hurry to turn their baby?
thanks again........

C

Caviller

Unfortunately...

I think some obsolete manuals and videos suggested it. Plus, I think there is a perception that kids prefer to sit looking forward, or that turning kids front-facing is some right of passage to being older. Also, many parents feel more comfortable if they can see their children, especially if they aren't aware of the safety advantages of a rear-facing carseat.

H

hlgcaolcom

thanks.......

Thanks again- I think we will keep him rear facing until he protests too much.......

K

kymberlee26

One other note on the rf limits of the FPSE

Older models are labeled as only rf to 22 pounds. It is a parental decision, but one that has been supported by FP, to use an older FPSE rf to 30 pounds as only relabeling took place, no structural changes were made to change the seat to a 30 pound rf limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC