Which is safer?

C

CFS4

Which is safer?

Outboard rear facing or center forward facing?

I have a 16 month old son that is 27 pounds and 33 inches long in a Roundabout. My car is 1996 Volvo 850. And before you answer rear facing in the center, that did not work for me. I tried that first over a year ago and could not get a good fit. I still have him rear facing behind passenger seat with the tether. Am wondering whether he should stay this way or go on ahead and move him to center and forward facing (provided, of course, that the Roundabout will get a good fit there).

Also have a 2002 Odyssey and another Roundabout. This seat was installed behind the drivers seat forward facing so that he could watch videos while on our vacation roadtrip. Now I'm wondering which would be the best option for this vehicle:

1. Leave as is

2. Reinstall Roundabout rear facing behind drivers seat and just move it to forward facing for long roadtrips when we would use the DVD player

3. Purchase a LATCH seat (Britax Expressway) to put in the middle forward facing (I really don't want to use the seatbelts for the middle seat as then access to rear seat is blocked)

4. Wait for the Britax Super Elite to be LATCH compatible (fingers crossed)

But, I am considering purchasing another seat now so that one of the Roundabouts can be installed in my mothers vehicle as she watches my son 3 days a week and would like to be able to take him places.

Sorry for the long post!? Basically am insterested in opinions about rear facing in outboard position vs. forward facing in center position and what would be a good seat and configuration for the Odyssey.

Thanks,
Charles--------------

ADS
C

Caviller

Quick answers

Off to a carseat event, but here's some quick info-

Rear-facing is always safest if the seat fits properly. Frontal crashes are the most frequent and severe. Also see:

www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

I'd keep him RF until he hits the 30 pound limit, if possible.

Many combination booster seats can also be used with LATCH kits. Also see:

www.car-safety.org/latch.html

Unlike the Expressway, these can be used above 40 pounds as a booster. For some tips and photos for carseats in the Odyssey, see:

www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

A good source has it from a Britax rep that the Super Elite will be introduced with LATCH compatibility, though it will be under a new model name. No word on when it would appear on shelves, though.

I have our two kids in outboard positions in our Odyssey, one RF and one FF. Some pictures and tips are in the link for the Odyssey above.

If you have more questions, please ask and I will answer a bit later when I have more time. Thanks!

C

CFS4

Another question about Roundabout...

I checked the specs on the Roundabout for weight and height limits and for rearfacing it is 30 pounds max and for height it is 30 inches max. So, my 16 month old son at 33 inches (~85 percentile) has exceeded the height limit for rearfacing according to the specs. But, I have also heard that as long as the childs shoulders are not higher than the top harness slots or the top of the ears are not above the back of the shell, he is OK. My son is still using the middle slots and even the top of his head is still an inch or two below the top of the shell. So, which do I follow? Or does the shoulder slot and top of shell test only apply to forward facing? With the limits on height for rearfacing, it would seem that not many children would be able to remain rearfacing very long after 1 year to 15 mos. old. My son was 30 inches (50 percentile) at 1 year old.

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this.

Charles---------------

C

Caviller

Answers-

For rear-facing, it is fine for the shoulders to be above the top slots. You should be using the set of slots at or just below his shoulders in general. On the other hand, the top of his head should be 1" or more from the top of the shell.

For forward facing, the "rule" is that the shoulders should be at or below the [top] slots, and the tops of the ears at or below the top of the shell.

It sounds like you are getting close in any case. Our DD is 20 months and 25 pounds, and still has some headroom left. I think she's a bit above average in height and weight for girls.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you can also use the Roundabout tether while rearfacing. This may provide added stability, and safety in rollovers, side and rear impacts.

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

C

CFS4

Thank you for answers

Thanks for your quick answers to my questions. So, the stated max height of 30 inches for rearfacing does not need to be followed, as long as the other conditions are met, right? This just seems a little strange as one should pretty much follow all of the other limits and instructions to the "T"? I'd be curious to know if this height limit is just for the US (North America) models as it seems that other countries have kept children rearfacing much longer that we have here (or at least we're starting to?).

All in all, it looks like I'll need to keep him forward facing in the Ody and switch the seat in the Volvo to forward facing as his head is probably right close to 1 inch from the top of the seat.

And yes, I have always used a tether with the RAs for both rear and forward facing and in every car I've installed them in.

Thanks again for your replys and for having this resource available! I also always look for your posts on the OdyClub!

Charles----------------

C

Caviller

Height limits

Some consider these only a guideline, and unfortunately in some cases the manufacturer's exact limit and the "rule of thumb" may not agree. I have to leave the decision to the parent as a "tough choice", as I would never advise a parent to disregard information in the owner's manual.

I also refer you to SafetyBeltSafe's technical information on the topic:

www.carseat.org/Technical...ightweight

In any case, at 16 months and 27 pounds, your child is certainly much less at risk forward facing than would be a 1 year/20 lb. child. So, front-facing is certainly an acceptable option at this point. Yet another option would be to purchase something like a LATCH compatible Cosco Triad that can go rear-facing to 35 pounds, and may have a different height recommendation. This might also make a good, less-expensive seat for your mother's vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC