Question about 17mo old and 2nd carseat

K

kcookrn

Question about 17mo old and 2nd carseat

I have a 17 mo old child who weights 27 lbs and is really tall. I need a second carseat for my other vehicle since I will be returning to work. Right now I have the FP safe embrace. I'm wondering if I should buy another convertible seat or go to a toddler/booster combo. They just seem so big and don't have much head support to them and are so upright. Any help would be appreciated. I have a 98 Dodge Durango. Also so confused as to what seat to buy. There are just soooo many!!! Any model recommendations would be great! Oh, is it safe to put the carseat in the middle of the backseat? I'm thinking not because the back of the seat is one of those that fold down to be used as a cup holder and armrest. Right now it's positioned outboard. THank you
Kristen

ADS
C

CPSDarren

Re: Question about 17mo old and 2nd carseat

Hello,

You could buy a convertible, but most only will last through 40 pounds. Two exceptions are the Britax Marathon and the Cosco Alpha Omega. The Marathon can be used rear-facing to 33 pounds and front facing to 65 pounds, though tall kids may outgrow it sooner. The Alpha Omega rear-faces until 35 pounds, and after 40 pounds you can use it as a booster to 100 pounds. Unfortunately, kids who are in higher percentiles for height than weight often outgrow the harness before 40 pounds, and many of those are not ready for a booster yet.

A combination seat is also a good choice. You might visit our "Carseat Basics" link under the top banner. At the bottom, you can find some links to pages with specific recommendations, including one with favorites from our own Ulrike:)

The fold down armrest is usually not a problem. Some Evenflo carseats have manuals that do state they can't be installed in front of one. If neither your vehicle or carseat manual mentions it, then it is OK to put a carseat there.

Good luck!

Darren

J

Julie

If it were me....

There's one seat with quite tall harness slots that is also very cushiony with nice sleep support that *I* would not hesitate to put my 17 month old in: the Graco Ultra Cargo. The Evenflo Comet is a nice seat for older kids, but has virtually no sleep support for younger ones, the Century/Graco Nextstep is a pretty good choice, almost as nice as the Ultra Cargo, and the Evenflo Express or Chase are also nice seats with decent sleep support. Be sure to look for HIGH harness slots (most Cosco's have very low slots, by comparison) and a front adjuster (eg, the Treasured Cargo has only a lame rear adjuster). good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC