Access to seat buckle

T

traci

Access to seat buckle

I have 3 car seats in the back bench of my SUV. THe car is wide enough to accommodate three car seats. The problem is that my oldest is ready to use the booster seat, and the car seats are right next to each other, so there is no room between the car seats to access the seat belt buckle. Is there an extension out there (kind of like what they use on airplanes) that is safe to use? Or are there certain boosters and car seats out there that are narrower that might give me two extra inches of room? Or do I need to start looking at new cars? My car seats are (2) Cosco Eddie Bauer high back booster/car seats and (1) curently rear-facing Evenflow car seat.

ADS
C

Caviller

A couple quick opinions-

First, any extension on your seatbelt system should ONLY be provided by the manufacturer of your vehicle. You should contact your dealer or manufacturer to see if one is available.

Second, you might try this link to see if any boosters might be a bit narrower to fit your needs:

(Broken Link Removed. Website No Longer Exists)

You will need Adobe to read the pdf file with all the measurements. If your vehicle has adequate seat back height and/or head restraints for your oldest in the middle, the Evenflo Rightfit backless booster may be a good option, and I know it is fairly narrow, too.

Good luck, and please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions!

U

UlrikeDG

Two thoughts on this topic...

First, you might be better off switching the baby's seat. Many Evenflo seats are fairly wide and don't mesh well with other seats. If the Evenflo seat is next to the booster, switching it might give you some more room. Personally, I'd try the Century Accel, the Britax Roundabout (this seat is much more expensive) and the Evenflo Triumph (this seat is a new design that is very different from the older models of Evenflo seat). Toys R Us/Babies R Us will usually let you try the floor model in your car, and they have a reputation for their liberal return policy. Walmart and Target tend to have pretty decent return policies, so you can buy and return if it doesn't work (you may want to ask about your local store's policy before you buy just to be sure). Baby Depot (Burlington Coat Factory) has a reputation for a very stict return policy.

How well two seats "mesh" is much more important than the overall width of the seats. The best thing you can do is simply to try seats you think might work in the car and see if they really do.

The other thing I want to point out is that Cosco boosters tend to be shorter than any other boosters out there. As you're looking at possible replacements, keep in mind that your child may be able to use another high backed booster longer than the Cosco one. The Graco MyCarGoâ„¢ (hope that link works) and the Evenflo Sightseer are both less expensive (no-harness) high backed boosters that you could try. I'm pretty sure the cup holder on the CarGo is removable, which would give you more room. The Star-Riser Comfy (from 30 lb) and the Roadster (from 40 lb) both have adjustable width bases. The Star Riser is now available without the back, as well.

Other low backed boosters include the Evenflo Right Fit, and the Safety Baby boosters the Uno and the Polo.

Good luck finding something that fits just right!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC